Power Generation Technology

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Inkvisitor

Re: Power Generation Technology

Post by Inkvisitor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:45 am

Ramscoops and Hiver tanker ships.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Mesaia wrote:Eh what makes you think they don't already do this?

I'm sure they must. Going .99c via reaction thrusters, even with AM power sources, would require multiple ship masses worth of fuel. This can be avoided with gate-power. At least, that's my personal favorite theory to resolve the stretched physics that are needed for decent gameplay.

Sons of Skaro

Post by Sons of Skaro » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 am

It's close to what I'm suggesting, but even more exotic. Essentially, the "improved" ship no longer has a powerplant and fuel source of it's own. Instead, there is a master powerplant on each Hiver world "beaming" focussed energy through a network of mini-gates to each "improved" ship in the fleet. In other words: an energy transmitter (planet-based) and receiver (ship-based) configuration. This enables the option of either having each ship to use significantly smaller engine sections to reduce mass and increase speed (a Corvette-class Cruiser), or have improved engine sections with more room for more weapons (a Spartian-class Cruiser). The down side: these ships must stay close to at least one Hiver world to receive a steady energy flow. Even worse: should a race develop a technology that can disrupt Hiver gates on a system-wide scale, it would render such "improved" ships totally powerless.
EXTERMINATE!

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Whilst its an idea, is it a tech you want to rely on in combat.
Where all kinds of messy things go on, do you really want to trust your expensive and highly beweaponed ship, crewed by the elite of your forces, to be nullified by someone jamming the signal :)

Also as noted elsewhere the gates have a finite transport limit. If you use insystem gates for insystem traffic you use up capacity that might be used elsewhere. Hence the hivers tend not to use the gates insystem this way to avoid problems with needing fleets sent to the other side of the galaxy.

Now I have no idea if this is a mass limit, or an energy limit, or an informational limit. Or if its a combined limit.
Wouldn't be pleasant though if just becuase you moved a lot of ships, suddenly you energy being beamed into hiver ships is being disrupted. Would you want to be the ones saying, hold your breath for a few hours were sending a fleet to Zhadum.
Or worse, your powering of insystem vessels takes up gate capacity...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Every darn time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shadow wolf wrote:Sorry to be so English.

Sons of Skaro

Post by Sons of Skaro » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:33 am

I think I suggested somewhere that there should be a gate-jamming tech or gate disrupter. Such a technology would ham-string a ship depending on "gate-power". For a ship using a power supply being directly beamed through a mini-gate to a ship's power receiver, these would be short-range ships restricted to it's host planet's defence. You can't send them to another planet because the power would be cut off in transit. This is strictly a home-front technology. Essentially, these kind of ships would have their own unique strengths, weaknesses and risks in comparison with other less-risky Hiver ships: like comparing an ER Cruiser to a War Cruiser. Speed in constructing a handfull of "gate-power" ships in a single turn is the biggest benefit, while facing an enemy who might be able to disrupt gates regionally is the biggest risk. I guess it all depends on how desperate you are to build as many ships as possible in short order.

"Gate-power" ships could be your empire's boon in a hard game, or your Achilles heel. It would definitely force a player to seriously weigh the risks of one technology over another in a crisis.
EXTERMINATE!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:59 pm

I think maybe you need to do more reading on the background materials for gate tech.

musterfox

Post by musterfox » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:06 am

Recombinant Fissionables vs Pulsed Fission -

Can anyone clarify which one is better and why? Currently have both available in my tree but don't know which one (or both?) to pick.

Went through the wiki but I was unable to make a fair comparison as the info provided is a bit different. Furthermore, as no numbers are mentioned I wasn't able to figure out which one is better for my current requirement which is superior Strategic Range.

From the wiki -
Effect of Recombinant Fissionables -
- Increased Strategic Range. Increases cost of an Engine section it is added to by 20%.

Effect of Pulsed Fission -
- Increase in tactical ship speed.
- Increase in strategic ship range. (Latter is claimed but not experienced in Zuul ships)
- Allows ship designs to include sections based around pulsed fission drives.

Any help appreciated.

TIA.

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:28 am

IIRC pulsed fission is a new type of engine section, recombinant fissionables is a option, you can add to all fission engines.

musterfox

Post by musterfox » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:52 am

Interested in knowing which one offers better strategic range.

I'm playing as human on a 2D map and the somewhat large distances are significantly curtailing my expansion during the early game. Range boosts would be very helpful. However I also have a very tight budget so I want optimize my research spending...

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:18 pm

musterfox wrote:Interested in knowing which one offers better strategic range.

I'm playing as human on a 2D map and the somewhat large distances are significantly curtailing my expansion during the early game. Range boosts would be very helpful. However I also have a very tight budget so I want optimize my research spending...

Human
Fission: 9 range
Fission with Recombinant: 12 range
Pulsed Fission: 12 range
Pulsed Fission with Recombinant: 15 range

Extended Range ranges: 27, 30 and 33

Pulsed fission would be the better first choice since it comes with other benefits besides range. Recombinant is only a range boost.

For Zuul, Pulsed Fission also has a strategic speed of 4 instead of the default fission speed of 3, but of course only works with fleets not slowed down by a bore ship.
Last edited by MS_Cowboy on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

musterfox

Post by musterfox » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you MS_Cowboy! 8)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Of course Recombinant Fissionables do have an advantage in that they cost a lot less than pulsed fission to put on a section. So if you are pinching pennies they can be the better choice. It depends on how useful the tac speed boost from pulsed fission is projected to be in your current game situation, sometimes it is more valuable than others.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

kjn

Post by kjn » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 am

On the other hand, if you are pinching, then pulsed fission also has the advantage that it has a long-term value, when combined with focused nodes. While an expensive fission tech, that combines very well with pulsed fission while making recombinants obsolete.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:03 am

I agree that pulsed fission is very useful in combination with focused nodes (or with recombinant fissionables for that matter.)

kjn wrote:while making recombinants obsolete.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Longer range is always useful, especially for attack fleets; in SotS1 you don't want to be returning for resupply after every attack. Given an economy capable of getting node focusing in a reasonable period of time, the research and implementation cost of recombinant fissionables is pretty minimal. I'd have no issues with getting recombinant fissionables first under penny-pinching starting conditions, then following up with pulsed fission and node focusing as my economy gets more mature, eventually using all 3.

But certainly if your starting economy and/or position warrants getting pulsed fission as a precursor to node focusing and skipping recombinant entirely, there's nothing inherently wrong with that either.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “The Tech”