Command-Communication-Control Technology

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Frederf

Post by Frederf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:55 am

I'm curious about the translate language tech. Does it make an alien less likely to be hostile/ally or NGA with you? Is it required to ally with another player if they are another race?

Ari
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!

Post by Ari » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:16 am

Frederf wrote:I'm curious about the translate language tech. Does it make an alien less likely to be hostile/ally or NGA with you? Is it required to ally with another player if they are another race?

It is required for YOU to extend an offer of a NAP or Alliance to THEM. If they research your language, they can do the same in reverse.
"Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness."
2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.

Agent
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Agent » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:38 pm

I also think they need to reasearch yours to tell you where their planets are.
At least that has been my observation.
Ï€ - This is pi. My sig is now irrational.
The Iron Chef has the solution to the hiver menace.

Zerg_Bomber

Post by Zerg_Bomber » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:07 pm

I was wondering about Advanced Sensors.
Obviously when you research them you get access to the Deep Scan Command section, which sees cloaking and has greater range and all those other fun things.
However, is there any inherent bonus to it? Does it, for example, expand the passive sensor range of my planets too or do I need to build a Deep Scan ship in order to get all the advantages?

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:00 pm

AFAIK, planets are all equipped with a strategic deep scan system once it is researched, increasing their ship detection range and allowing you to see the composition of incoming ships. It might also increase the detection radius of a planet. However, it does not nullify cloaks around your planets so you'll still need a deep scan for that.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:43 pm

I have found parking a deep scan equipped ship in orbit increases the strategic sensor range. Planets do get a boost when you research the tech, but it's a good idea to have sensor pickets on the border worlds.

rasorow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by rasorow » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:26 pm

Quite honestly, the ships appearance is annoying. Tab is nice.... but I lose track of the main battle while finding the lost re-enforcements and getting to the area.

In one battle I had 20 some ships and my oppenent had 12. Fleets closed, lasers fired, Emitters emitted, I lost a number of ships and he lost a couple of ships and some sections. My re-enforcements came in (my better ships) and it took me so long to find them, order them to the correct area, and for them to get there that even though I had only lost 6 obsolete ships at that point and he had lost 4 or so of his better ships I had already lost the battle because I could not get my ships into battle fast enough to prevent him from destroying the colony.

If the ships are coming out of low orbit (fully buy that) could an expansion change it so they come out of low orbit at 6 o'clock? Truthfully shouldn't they make their transition to fighting orbit at least relative to the fleet? Not maybe on top of it but x number of units away so that they are not wasting time and energy both breaking away and then moving to the fleet but using the inherent energy of orbit to but them in a reasonable distance from the fight relative to the fleet? (and there by also saving un frustration energy of watching your fleet, close in defence formation get annhilated while waiting for the re-enforcements to arrive because they broke away to far from the fight)

Anyway, I must say I do like the demo and it seems the game will fulfill its promises. Cannot wait until the 22nd.

Rasorow

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:07 pm

New reinforcements are going to get their own hotkey (like 6 or something) in a patch. I don't know how this will work when reinforcements trickle in quickly in 1s and 2s *shrug*

As for the reinforcements for planet defense... I agree they shouldn't jump directly into battle, but it's a little far as it is now. And rather unbalanced that the attacker has closer reinforcements than the defender. Due to the pacing of the game, moving from the reinformcent spot to the battle spot takes like a third of the tactical round time. The reinforcement transit time just seems a little off compared with the rest of the tactical pace.

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:07 pm

I agree, it does seem to me that the defenders have harder time moving in reinforcements. It seems to me tha they should have a reinforcment advantage. I mean they're coming up from the planet but I have to move them across the map to get them into battle? My colonies take damage no matter what I do from a defensive standpoint in an even fight. Reinforcements should appear between the enemy and the planet, IMO. That actually makes a defense viable.

Human

Post by Human » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:27 am

I agree when defending my reinforcments always come from the far left or right of the planet and take a good 45 seconds to come to my starting point, which I usually never leave...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:37 am

as opposed to the defender advantages of the sat ring, planet missiles and large between turn repair rate from all but the smallest planets? :wink:

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:50 am

Pfftt... advantages are nothing when you have the
"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:19 am

Mecron wrote:as opposed to the defender advantages of the sat ring, planet missiles and large between turn repair rate from all but the smallest planets? :wink:

Touche, blind man.

Griskin

Post by Griskin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Here's a question that's been bugging me: just how effective are jammers?

I'd been looking forward to them since the early battle reports talked about playing shell games with multiple jammers and such, but on playing the demo, I just don't seem to get much use out of them.. mostly because of how close fleets are when battle starts. If the enemy has any forward deployment at all, I'm within visual range within seconds, at which point the jammers seem completely useless.

Perhaps there's some subtle effect I'm missing, or a tactic I've not discovered?

So far my main uses have been:

1) Putting a jammer in the middle of a cluster of assault ships and driving for the planet, hoping for the jammer would give me a bit of cover from planetary and satellite missiles on the way in. Didn't seem terribly effective, but of course there were enemy ships within spotting range within seconds, so I'm guessing they just used integrated sensors to nail me.

2) Hugging a jammer to the side of my CnC ship, which was placed as far to the back and one side as I could, in hopes of being able to hide it and maybe get it to survive an entire battle. Best guess is it bought me about 10 seconds of lead time, but the forward fleet still managed to chew it up before turning back to attack my main fleet.
Griskin Thor

Ita erat quando hic adveni

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:08 pm

Griskin wrote:2) Hugging a jammer to the side of my CnC ship, which was placed as far to the back and one side as I could, in hopes of being able to hide it and maybe get it to survive an entire battle.

This tactic works very well for me. In most of my encounters where I've had a CnC ship under the jamming field, the enemy has ignored the CnC ship entirely, instead going after my ships that are not under the jamming field. If you engage the enemy ships far enough out from the jammer, they will not get within visual range. In my final assault on a Tarka fortress world (68 ships defending) over 6 turns, I did not lose a single CnC ship or jammer using this tactic. It was very cool. :)

I've also noticed that the initial enemy defence fleet would back off from a jammer field until I closed in with the planet. They would turn around and reform only when my ships got within visual range, moved out from under the jammer field or got close enough to the planet for either the planet sensors to "burn though" the field or to see my ships visually
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Return to “The Tech”