Command-Communication-Control Technology

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:14 pm

for planetary assaults the main gift of the jammer is protecting your ships from BVR missile fire...which is the deadliest part of sattelite defences.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Do you mean planetary missles or sattelite missles? It's slightly confusing that I think you are meaning planetary missles which would not be part of a sattelite defence.

Eremus

Post by Eremus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Planets get really big ass missile depending on their population. They shoot out of the poles which allow them to come from the vertical plane on ships that are ususally completely unable to shoot that direction. Platforms themselves have a fairly big missile launcher as well, although I think that one functions normally and aren't as effective as the vertical killers of the planetary missiles.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:16 pm

It took me a few tries but:
Beyond
Visual
Range

:)

Jammers prevent missiles from locking on when they are launched from beyond visual range.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Griskin

Post by Griskin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Just to be clear: do jammers prevent all BVR missil fire against ships covered by their umbrella? Or only until Integrated Sensors are researched, allowing forward ships to visually spot for launchers out of visual range?

Also, is there any way to get at least a rough indication of the size of the jammer umbrella? Aside from having someone use it against you, that is?
Griskin Thor

Ita erat quando hic adveni

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:06 am

I'm pretty sure Mecron's just talking about sat missiles, I'm basing this on 2 things.

1: While small sats only have 2 missile launchers, medium and large will deffinately carry more and be a real big problem to any fleet with limited missile defense.

2: I thought that my armors were free to bombard the enemy colony from the protection of the jammer....until ICBMs killed the jammer :shock:
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:01 am

In my experience, the ICBM's target jammer ships very well sometimes, and will seek them out over even assault shuttle carriers and bio-war destroyers. Other times, I've had ICBM's flying by a jammed fleet going out deeper into space than I had ships. In general, if they come into a jammed fleet, they hit the jammer ship.

Draven

Post by Draven » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:49 pm

Iv been experimenting with jammers and bio ships. When the ai cant *see* you it will usually start having its fleet orbit the planet. Wait till they are on the other side, close in and laungh the missiles. Sats will usually get a few and when you get too close your jammer seems to lose its effectivness and you get painted and thus will probably lose your unprotected bio ships; but that planet will be rather infected.

Breniir

Post by Breniir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:18 pm

Do the jammer ships get any "free" upgrades to jamming radius or power as you climb the tech tree? By free I mean like VRF for massdrivers - improves existing tech and does not require a new ship class.
[...]

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 pm

your jammer loses effectivess up close becuase the enemy is targeting you visually then.

And no...jammers are a static tech. No improvments as they are a very basic idea.

You can look at wild weasels as the next step up from jammers in some ways.

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:02 pm

A jammer will still prevent BVR targetting even with integrated sensors. It makes a sensor display impossible to view. All integrated sensors do is make it so you see all the different ships sensor display at the same time when you're in the sensor mode, otherwise you only see the sensors of the ships you have selected.

And planet missiles still work. They have independant targeting systems and can lock on visually once they're in range. A wild weasle helps this though.
"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:43 pm

ive heard nothing about the differences between the tech that allows you to give commands in the senser display and the Holovision one... id like to have the confusion cleared up... whats the difference?
Veni Vini Vici

Bromoc

Post by Bromoc » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:09 pm

stopgap wrote:ive heard nothing about the differences between the tech that allows you to give commands in the senser display and the Holovision one... id like to have the confusion cleared up... whats the difference?

there are none as far as i can see, just Holotanks gives you more command points.
Get my Mod Manager/Explorer Here Works with Bob!

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:07 pm

Both combat algorithms and holotanks give you four extra command points, giving a total of eight extra when both researched (or three dreadnoughts and two cruisers if you've got both and armada CnC for those of us who like to think in weight of ships).
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Quester

Re: Command-Communication-Control Technology

Post by Quester » Sun May 11, 2008 3:40 pm

I have a question about the Sub-Space Spy Beam tech. On the wiki it states that it can be used to watch battles within it's range that you are not particapating in. My question is, what is that range?

Return to “The Tech”