Shield Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Mecron
Kerberos

Shield Technologies

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:48 am

Your place to post observations, questions and comments on Shield tech and its tree in SoTs.

Agent
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Agent » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:57 pm

OMG! ARMORS IMBALANCED!!!!!1111

My opponent went with deflectors, as I was heavy into balistics and missles, but rather than change to energy weapons, I got vrf.

I managed to kill 6 deflecters with gauss and missles, losing 2 armors in the process.

Was it just because it looked like he was using point defence and i just got behind him, or is it a "Shields cover the whole ship, so it is just a demo issue"?
Ï€ - This is pi. My sig is now irrational.
The Iron Chef has the solution to the hiver menace.

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Deflectors are nigh-invulnerable. You can hit them all day with missles and gauss rounds and nothing gets through. So making deflectors limited to the forward 180 makes sense from a balancing standpoint.

Shields absorb all damage but can only take so much before they fail. Since you can eventuallly get through shields so having them cover the entire ship is not so imbalancing.

ecs521

Post by ecs521 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:11 pm

If I get behind a deflecter will the sheld bounce the rounds that miss back on to the ship? :twisted:

OCAB

Post by OCAB » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:55 am

Rorschach wrote:Deflectors are nigh-invulnerable. You can hit them all day with missles and gauss rounds and nothing gets through. So making deflectors limited to the forward 180 makes sense from a balancing standpoint.

Shields absorb all damage but can only take so much before they fail. Since you can eventuallly get through shields so having them cover the entire ship is not so imbalancing.

Nigh-invulnerable? Does that mean that it is possible to overwhelm them?

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:01 am

Mecron posted once saying higher level tech projectiles can sometimes explode big enough when it hits the shield to hit the ship. So remember kids, if your missles aren't effective, make them explode bigger
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

Xektar

Post by Xektar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:30 am

Omega_Paladin wrote:Mecron posted once saying higher level tech projectiles can sometimes explode big enough when it hits the shield to hit the ship. So remember kids, if your missles aren't effective, make them explode bigger

Good Advise :D

The Writer2
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by The Writer2 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:00 am

Riiiiiiiiiight. Because bigger is always better. :roll: :P
Image Image Image

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

"Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?"

Emperor Zog
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Emperor Zog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:03 am

Bigger explosions ARE always better.
Hope Rides Alone

"A hero is just a man who knows that he is free." -Last words of Protoman

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:03 am

When it comes to seriously blowing stuff up, that often is the case.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:16 am

WES TOO BIG TO BE BEAT!

sorry... couldnt resist
"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

Emperor Zog
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Emperor Zog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:24 am

Please don't do that Avatar. I always say WAAAGGGHHHH with even a hint of Orky shows up.

And I do it really well :lol:
I take a weird sort of pride in that. Dang... now I am thinking of throwing a bunch of money down the tube and ruining my eyes with painting again. I suck at it but I still like to do my own.

ANYWAY *purges the Orky* Other than the direct approach we all know and love, has anyone found a more subtle approach to deflectors (or shield systems I obviously have no contact with). Like I have thrown a single deflector ship in with a fleet in attempts to use it not as a brick wall/shield but as a weapon jammer. Move it in amongst the enemy kind of close to try and deny a chance to fire (and hoped they would harm themselves with near fire). So far I have not been so successful but I think that is my limitation (getting the darn ship where I want it to stay) and not the tech.

EDIT: 500 posts! Yay me \(^_^)/
Hope Rides Alone

"A hero is just a man who knows that he is free." -Last words of Protoman

Mister_Pibbles
Kerbicron Cleric - 1st Berzerker Chow - Intern
Kerbicron Cleric - 1st Berzerker Chow - Intern

Post by Mister_Pibbles » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:49 pm

I always like to use fleets of deflectors up front with missile armors behind. This way, the first couple volleys of my ships hit the enemy, while their missiles explode harmlessly on the deflector shields.

I wish you could specify the direction deflector shields faced.

Then I could have 6 ship classes... Uppy, Downy, Lefty, Righty, Fronty, and Backy. Put them in a nice little formation, and watch as mass drivers bounce off helplessly... what? The enemy's using lasers? Shit... I knew I should have mounted something other than PD...

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:03 pm

i only use 1 deflector in my fleet most of the time, hes the pointship and exhists soleley for those irritating first salvos which hit only 1 ship.
Veni Vini Vici

Ari
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!
Kerbicron Cleric - Paper!

Post by Ari » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Emperor Zog wrote:Bigger explosions ARE always better.

In that case, let's go make a warhead capable of blowing up the whole universe. :roll:
"Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness."
2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.

Return to “The Tech”