Shield Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Shield Technologies

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm

while you could make a point about torps...I am not sure why you would expect an impactor round to recharge you. :wink:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:49 am

I think he's thinking the other way around, energy weapons don't recharge your impactors or torpedoes when you are hit with energy weapons.

IIRC, partly it's to avoid framerate/balance/etc issues in the case of torps and partly because folks thought that weapons systems that use physical ammo shouldn't really be accelerated that much by absorbing more energy. There's a limit to how fast your mechanical ammo loaders can cycle. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Redeyes

Post by Redeyes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Hmm, the speed of light? No... we can always put a FTL drive into the loading unit!

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Which reminds me: Why don't Liir just teleport large quantities of explosive into the middle of enemy formations? I can understand needing to stutter-warp a ship precisely - you want the contents to arrive at the other end in one piece. But the bottle of anti-matter in the bomb works just as well when it gets a bit smeared around by the teleport.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 am

in space...explosives are best as contact weapons. And flicker drives are not exactly cheap :wink:

Zed...ah ok I see what he meant now...and yes you are right about the laoding issue

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Gryfalcon wrote:Which reminds me: Why don't Liir just teleport large quantities of explosive into the middle of enemy formations? I can understand needing to stutter-warp a ship precisely - you want the contents to arrive at the other end in one piece. But the bottle of anti-matter in the bomb works just as well when it gets a bit smeared around by the teleport.

Note that you might eventually get micro-flicker drives for your missiles. The Liir uderstading of the flickerwarp drive seemes to preclude teleporting far enough to be weaponized; I get the impression that each teleport is significantly shorter than a single ship length.

The weapon that seems to act most like teleporting antimater into your target would be the Meson Projector, in my opinion.

If you want to spread AM across an entire formation of enemy ships, you should consider detonating torps, cracker COL, and projectors.

<blinks at thread title> Projectors should do a number on shielded cruisers: The shields are big and easy to hit and a portion of the salvo will still get through after a shield fails. :thumbsup:
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:39 pm

One flickerwarp TP is on the order of an electron diameter. :wink:

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Redeyes wrote:Hmm, the speed of light? No... we can always put a FTL drive into the loading unit!

If you want to rip it to shreds or melt it, maybe. There is only so much stress and heat even the most advanced materials can take, and cooling things in space is much harder than keeping something warm. Space isn't cold, space is a vacuum, and vacuums isolate.
So, unless you somehow manage to create a frictionless loader, you will have to let it cool down eventually. And if you have a loader that can move ammunition at FTL speeds, why not just use that as a gun by itself?

On Flickerwarp, what would happen if a Liir ship tried to intrude into a shielded area? And how would it differ(if at all) from other races doing the same?
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 am

You just need to wrap your head around a simple concept when it comes to Liir ships: the universe moves around THEM. However, the actual ships are almost stationary (they still have newtonian thrusters for secondary purposes, but if the ship needs to rotate, it generally just teleports into a different heading).

The teleports are huge eistances considering how massive Liir ships are (they are filled with oxygenated liquid, after all). Any further and the teleportation process would take up too much energy to be feasible. Also, this is the way the era-techs work: Fusion and Antimatter increase the distance you can teleport, while the stutter/flicker drive upgrades increase the frequency of the teleports, which greatly reduces the effect of gravity on Liir ships.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:16 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:On Flickerwarp, what would happen if a Liir ship tried to intrude into a shielded area? And how would it differ(if at all) from other races doing the same?

Given that Mecron said flickerwarps are on the order of an electron diameter, likely nothing special. It might ionize the outer layer of paint, but would probably just repulse the ship, as it apparently does for reaction drives.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:42 am

What makes me curious is not how far in they are getting, but rather, how they are getting that far.

In other words, is porting into(or extremely close to) them different from just bumping into them, aside from Liir ships having no kinetic energy to speak of due to their relative speed being basically zero.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

talos

Post by talos » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 am

What type of shields do the peace enforcers use?
The peace enforcers sheilds seem to snap on and off on demand which is very cool 8)
Can humans and Tarka get those too?

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:57 am

Yes, the PK simply has shield projectors. A standard technology added in AMOC.

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:00 am

Deflectors - the wiki says they have "a chance of deflecting ballistic weapons and detonating tracking weapons" and "adds a low chance (+50%) that a ballistic weapon will ricochet off the shield". This implies that some will get through - especially ballistics with good penetration like AP rounds.

However I thought they blocked all ballistics (and most warheads and many types of torpedoes too).

Which is it?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

they block all ballistics...the reference is to whether the shot is destroyed or potentially ricochets to cause possible trouble.

Return to “The Tech”