Shield Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
The_Pastmaster

Re: Shield Technologies

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:23 pm

IIRC Meson Shields are teal and orange.

Or was it blue and purple...?
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:35 pm

Hmmmm.... I am pretty sure it is the ordinary shields that are teal-orange-yellow-blue-green-ish...?

-Anyone around who plays Liir a lot that can correct us :wink:
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:42 pm

I found an old pic of mine of a Hiver destroyer that is actually named Meson Shield (The pic not the ship) and the shield is blue and purple.
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Nice, then we know that.

... although I have been brainwashed by games to associate "purple" with "gravity" :P (and with "Dark Magic" - but that is not really relevant here :roll: )

As a pointless trivia; my german-teacher used to call Purple for "boy-pink", as it usually is the closest shade to pink an "ordinary" male can come without considering it girly :lol:

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Remnant wrote:(and with "Dark Magic" - but that is not really relevant here :roll: )

"Dark" magic is only the most easily learned and taped source of magic power in resistance. Just because most users are evil doesn't mean that dark magic is. In fact no magic is evil.

:oops: I got carried away again. Magic lies close to my heart.

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Well, that slightly depends on what "universe" you are in, but yes, as a rule "dark magic" is easy to learn (but hard to master), most powerful, and generally rather corrupting. And is often portrayed as blackish purple.

Dark Magic is seriously scary in Warhammer :shock:
- look what happens to the poor bastards who tries to tap the power of the undivided Winds of Chaos... not pretty. The Dark Elves do it pretty well, but they are purebreed Suul'ka by default, and can't be anymore corrupted than they already are :|

As a side-note, sickly green is also a common shade of dark/evil magic.

... seems I got carried away too... :oops:

um... how to make this relevant for sots...?
Ah, yes: purple is evil! Loom at the Meson beams/projectors, and the antimatter-weapons! Pure evil! :twisted: (it usually represent the highest level of weapon-power, in several games I have played)

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Remnant wrote: Ah, yes: purple is evil! Loom at the Meson beams/projectors, and the antimatter-weapons! Pure evil! :twisted: (it usually represent the highest level of weapon-power, in several games I have played)

Eheahahaha! You got that right. I'm my religion Death is clad in purple and she has purple hair too.

Maybe that's why I love the colour. Hehe. BTW... Who dicided that antimatter is purple in the first place? And why no red? We have Plasma (Green), Fusion (Yellow) and Antimatter (Purple. But no red! More red blobs of energy to the people!

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Amen brothah!

But EvilMegaCoorperations might think it would be communistic propaganda, having "red" as the strongest weapons :wink:

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Da red ones go fasta!
Of course, they also die faster.
And red minions are always superior to their non-red brethren.

There's a reason that red AP rounds are so much superior to normal blue mass drivers.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 pm

*ghasp* The Reds are already here! Run away! :o

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:50 am

Can deflectors be owerwhelmed by too many and/or powerful missiles?

I just fought Sparky (curse you for that name, Patton1942! :evil: ) and I had my evil plan all set up...
- I fight him from range with my Deflector/Impactor CRs, out of range of his beams, and the deflectors against teh missiles of doom.
...A neat little plan: EXCEPT that my deflectors dropped after a few hits from those fast missiles with orange afterburners (those that resembles planet missiles)... :( In addition to that, some missiles took rounds around the entire map, and came at me from behind :x

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 am

On a related note, do grav shields work against missiles?
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:57 am

Remnant wrote:- I fight him from range with my Deflector/Impactor CRs, out of range of his beams, and the deflectors against teh missiles of doom.
...A neat little plan: EXCEPT that my deflectors dropped after a few hits from those fast missiles with orange afterburners (those that resembles planet missiles)... :( In addition to that, some missiles took rounds around the entire map, and came at me from behind :x

I mostly replace all my lasers for Point Defence in when they start to bounce off the enemy a little too much. Only exception is if I get Pulse Phasers

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 am

The_Pastmaster wrote:I mostly replace all my lasers for Point Defence in when they start to bounce off the enemy a little too much. Only exception is if I get Pulse Phasers

I don't have this practice unless the opponent is missile happy. Otherwise I don't want ot throw away those few shots that don't bounce.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:55 am

The_Pastmaster wrote:
Remnant wrote:- I fight him from range with my Deflector/Impactor CRs, out of range of his beams, and the deflectors against teh missiles of doom.

I mostly replace all my lasers for Point Defence in when they start to bounce off the enemy a little too much. Only exception is if I get Pulse Phasers

Have you seen how fast those missiles are? I mean, even Liir with all light mounts with phaser PD, and a tight formation will probably be unable to take all of them down before they hit.
- I was seriously scared when I saw the missiles aproach me faster than Morrigi Drones do :?

EDIT: and to add to the scaryness - they also switch to a second target if some missiles survive the destruction of their primary target, just like planet missiles does... :shock:

EDIT EDIT: Wouldn't that be a cool late-game missile uppgrade? the ability to switch to a new target if they still are in flight after the primary target is destroyed. Would make missile-boat fleets a little more attractive late-game.
(maybe for all tracking ordinace??? :o )
Last edited by Remnant on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “The Tech”