Shield Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
The_Pastmaster

Re: Shield Technologies

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:08 pm

CRICKE! I just gotta find me a System Killer. Heh, this game I got a Puppet Master for the second time EVER and I didn't even get to see it. The last time was WAY back when SotS patches where numbered 1.0.X. I think I had 1.0.2. or something.
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

ignus

Post by ignus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Remnant wrote:Can deflectors be owerwhelmed by too many and/or powerful missiles?

Depends on the missile and the ship. Normal missiles do splash damage. For SK missiles, the damage radius is big enough to damage a CR Point Deflector section.

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:40 pm

The_Pastmaster wrote:Not if it keeps turning and twisting to keep as many ships as possible in front of itself. I had to box the bugger in to make it stop moving around. It was kinda fun the first few time because I have never seen the AI do that before. Then again this was the first time I faced enemy ships with deflectors in the first place

Depending on what type of weapons and ships you're attacking with, it's my experience that the deflector/disrupter shield can only buy them time even if you're fielding all the wrong weapons against it. The turning speed on those sections is pretty bad. From a distance it's good enough, but if you can get in really close, I mean as close as possible, you will turn faster than a deflector ship and be able to attack the sweet vulnerable belly. Especially so if you have Zuul speed or Liir shim-sham. Still, they're worth more than three times their cost in ships if your weapon of choice is, say, a AM projector :P
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:12 pm

I like Energy Absorbers better. So frikin sweet to kill stuff fasten when their shooting at you. BTW, the Point Absorbers on Dreadnoughts work across the whole ship, right? Hmm... Thought I had another question about them...
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Grav shields are red btw, meson is purple like. Deflectors and shields are about the same color (blueish) and disruptor shields are orange.

I have recently discovered just how nice the meson shields (combined with max armor) are on destroyer packs. Nothing like a Blazer/Battle Bridge DN with cutting beams, all beams hitting the destroyer (or a line of them) and doing nothing. Also watching the ballistics that he mounted (bursters) just bouncing off.

Also I don't know if it's a bug or not but meson shields seem to stop basically everything energy based, not just beams but pulsed phasers and I think direct fire torps (he doesn't field those often so not sure).

As for getting in close... had a good one recently. The AI (with blazer/BB DN) flew right up to one of my disruptor shielded DNs and put it's noze inside the shield so that most of the beams were being fired from inside the half bubble. Quite interesting.

whatamidoinghere wrote:On a related note, do grav shields work against missiles?

Seems so.

Though the splash damage gets through.

[edit]
It seems like Meson shields act a bit like Disruptors but for the whole ship. There may be some energy weapons that get through but most of the high powered ones - phasers and related, fusion cannons and related, as well as any directed beam weapon (haven't seen beamers) I am fairly certain are blocked. Also I think Direct fire torpedoes are blocked.

Grav shields seem to act like Deflectors but for the whole ship I have seen Dumb Fire missiles blocked (friendly fire) and I think Missiles. I know ballistics are blocked. I haven't seen much else but pretty sure homing torps are also blocked (it's possible PD took them out).

Here is a thought for you...
Liir CR with the shield distributor combined with Liir DEs with Meson (or Grav, whatever the enemy is fielding a lot of). Pretty hard to kill :) (actually I don't know if you CAN have multiple shield effects applied)
[/edit]
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

General_Zergie

Post by General_Zergie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:30 am

I always found that using cloaks(improved cloaking if possible to get) tends to help against deflectors (especially if ur Liir with barrage cruisers) you can hopefully ninja ur way behind the enemy fleet and hit their afts as for shields I think you may wanna go anti-matter based weaponry there

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:24 am

So, now that we have an even bigger class of ship, will Dreadnoughts get shields?

Will Leviathans, for that matter?

Subanrab

Post by Subanrab » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 am

Do we know the actual modifiers for shields on cruisers? I've hunted but can't seem to find them anywhere...
"Go for the eyes Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!"

vahnn

Re:

Post by vahnn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Mecron wrote:lol if I was sane I never would have quit a huge ass paying designer job at rockstar making pointless crap for years at a time, in order to risk everything bringing sots to life as and indy developer :wink:

Just reading up through the forums, and stumbled across this line.

Mec, it may be too early to say for sure, but I think I love you! We'll know for sure when SotSII hits!
You've just been Suul'Ka Whored!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 am

:thumbsup:

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:17 am

How do shields work with corrosive missile clouds? I'm not sure if they damage the ship, or are negated by the shields. I've had some shielded cruiser sit around in clouds for quite a while and never leave green health, but they were also heavily armored under the shields so I can't be sure whats goin on there.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:26 am

Last time I checked shielded ships were damaged by corrosives, but it's been a while since I checked and things may have changed.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:56 pm

Naja wrote:So, now that we have an even bigger class of ship, will Dreadnoughts get shields?

Will Leviathans, for that matter?

If SotS ][ goes along with similar lines as SotS 1 we can at least safely assume that Liir will be able to Shield Dreadnoughts. Once again Assuming that their Flicker Shield Tech will be upgraded and put on Leviathans in order to Shield Dreads.

That the only thing I can conclude however...

For other Races I don't know.

truth is life

Post by truth is life » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:18 am

Profound_Darkness wrote:As for getting in close... had a good one recently. The AI (with blazer/BB DN) flew right up to one of my disruptor shielded DNs and put it's noze inside the shield so that most of the beams were being fired from inside the half bubble. Quite interesting.

Yep, I noticed that from the other side. Another tactic that works is using drones or similar to circle around the back while you have some jucier but tougher target hang around in front (like...say...a DN). Both together is even better, of course.

Afoxi

Post by Afoxi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:12 pm

GRAND MENACE SPOILER
Having said that, here's a video i made of me testing various weapons against 4 golden balls of resource stealing things.

Highlight is the point absorbers tech, just to see what works on it and what doesn't. (turns out impactors and torpedos don't get a refire bonus)

Return to “The Tech”