Torpedo Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Eleahen
Doomsayer

Re: Torpedo Technologies

Post by Eleahen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:46 am

I had a great experience with Kelvinics.

as Liir
2x CR Assault/Barrage/Flicker - Kelvinics, Inertial Cannons
3x CR Battlebridge/Blazer/Flicker - Cutting Beams, Inertial Cannons
1x CR CnC

I tried sending such fleet against an incoming Tarkasian fleet. Amazingly they took down whole 5 dreads with the loss of only one ship. Tarks had fusion era techs and the battle took place in the deep space.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:19 am

Erm.. AM techs against Fusion tech.. sounds about right..

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:31 am

5 CRs vs 5 DNs
yeah :P

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Sweet! I think I got a new fav toy with my Energy Absorber
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

Monkeyking

Post by Monkeyking » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:35 pm

Profound_Darkness wrote:Kelvanic torps aren't the best weapon in the game... but they make all your other weapons better.

Each hit from a Kelvanic torp increases the damage that ship takes by 5% (and the fire rate isn't too bad) so mounting them on cruisers with DN command means (for Hivers) a salvo of 14. If all 14 hit then other weapons will do 70% more damage. There is probably a hard cap somewhere (at least 100%) but I don't know what it is. I do know that it cuts ships down to size so to speak... I do know that the difference can be notable in how quick a target goes down after taking a few of those torps. Saturation makes them most effective IMO.

Dose the damage apply to shields because I got Morrigi empire that loves using mark four shield with quantum capacitors.
"And I say that selling you soul to the devil is only done by the stupid. Why sell your soul for temporarily pleasure ,and eternal servitude where it be far easier to rent it." Charles John Heredia

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:28 pm

I have no idea... (I haven't had them against an opponent with shields)

My guess is that the damage boost doesn't affect shields but the hits on shields will accumulate damage on the hull. A lot of special effects of weapons tend to transfer through shields, this is the only reason I think the hull may end up more fragile.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Go for polarized plasmatics! :thumbsup: Those are in the game just for cases like this.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Space Voyager wrote:Go for polarized plasmatics! :thumbsup: Those are in the game just for cases like this.
Against shields? I disagree. You either want specialty weapons like Shield Breakers, or raw damage (ignoring penetration and accuracy). For raw damage, Mass Drivers, Heavy Drivers, Stormers are the weapons of choice.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 pm

I've had good success with PD + Chakkar + Heavy Drivers w/ neutronium & accelerators, on Cuisers (haven't gotten to DN yet though...)

Armor penetration + heavy brawling + good range (and accuracy for chakkars) + shield dropping power + no one is immune to all your weapons + knocking around those pesky Heavy Beams ( + PD... yeah, that one is obvious :roll: )

- I have often dropped good amounts of ships with low losses with this combo

Ehrm, but this is the Torpedo-thread...

um....

good ol' AM-torps are my most used weapon, though I am getting a taste for Pulsar Torpedos.

BTW, are Gluonic/Mesonic torpedos any good? Reading the rather low stats (and seeing enemy ships miss all the time with them) kinda makes me weary of going down that line of research.
- A short summary of what they are good for would be appreciated :)

I know they have range, and a certain degree of penetration-ability... how significant is that compared to homing-ability and sheer damage?
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:18 am

I'm looking at a theoretical 9100 damage as an ideal for one Antimatter torpedo launcher, in a 4 minute combat. That's extreme range every time, unmitigated by point defense.

A Mesonic torpedo launcher is 9360 under similarly unrealistic ideal scenarios, at its preferred short range (of 1500!) and never missing.

They are better up close than tracking torps, and the Gluonics and Mesonics can ignore some shields.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Monkeyking

Post by Monkeyking » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 am

I would use shield breaker rounds or stormers if I had some. My cutting beams and fusion projector had no problem bringing the Morrigi down. I broke their backs I am now dealing with Tarka who use polarized plasmatics they are real pain because I got best armor in the game.
"And I say that selling you soul to the devil is only done by the stupid. Why sell your soul for temporarily pleasure ,and eternal servitude where it be far easier to rent it." Charles John Heredia

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey guys, I've never used EM pulsars or the pulsar torpedo, so could someone who has used them enlighten me?

The pulsar torpedo is the next research after EM pulsar and in the next energy era so I would expect it to be a clear improvement, but looking at the stats on the wiki I'm having a hard time understanding how the pulsar torpedo can be considered an upgrade over EM pulsar. They both have the same effect, and the trade off seems to be that the torpedo loses AOE and gains tracking - as well as an extra 7 seconds of recharge time. The dumbfire EM pulsars already appear to have great accuracy, and bumping the recharge time of something that already only fires every 18 seconds is kind of harsh. Especially considering that the only function of these weapons are to reset weapons and shut off engines, both of which last for a pitiful fraction of either weapons cooldown time and the "higher tech" weapon makes the cooldown problem even worse. Even disruptors seem better at resetting weapons thanks to their low cooldown, even if they only affect a single section at a time. How can I justify getting pulsar torps if I already have EM pulsars?

Edit: I can see how the effect can be absolutely deadly especially when all ships alternate fire properly, but that still doesn't explain why the second tech is better. Seems to me that the best application is against Dreadnoughts, and I can't see a Dreadnought dodging the EM pulsar regardless of being non-tracking, and surely the lower refire rate would simply make it better in this case?
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Crazie_Guy wrote:The dumbfire EM pulsars already appear to have great accuracy

Yes and no, like all other dumbfire torps they do not appear to lead the target, and as a consequence miss more often than might be apparent from their stats. They will hit large targets like DNs fairly regularly, but not always, and will miss more at long ranges and/or against fast moving enemies.

Even disruptors seem better at resetting weapons thanks to their low cooldown, even if they only affect a single section at a time.

They also have a shorter range and don't affect engines.

Edit: I can see how the effect can be absolutely deadly especially when all ships alternate fire properly, but that still doesn't explain why the second tech is better. Seems to me that the best application is against Dreadnoughts, and I can't see a Dreadnought dodging the EM pulsar regardless of being non-tracking, and surely the lower refire rate would simply make it better in this case?

If you want to use it strictly against DNs (which is what I mainly use this line for,) then I agree the EMP torp is better for that purpose than the pulsar torp. If you want to use it against smaller targets, the pulsar will hit more often. Whether that's enough to justify researching it, is up to user preference.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks for the reply!

It still really seems to me that the tracking torp isn't very useful. As you said, it looks like they are better suited to hitting cruisers or even destroyers thanks to tracking. But while a Dreadnought can be brought to its knees with proper timing despite the slow recharge times of the weapons, against cruisers or less you'll either spend a huge amount of micromanagement effort keeping just one or two of many ships disabled, or end up spreading them around to multiple targets in which case nothing would be disabled for any appreciable amount of time. Either way the benefit of the weapon seems incredibly negligible, at least to me. It seems like they should have kept or even increased the AOE range for the upgraded weapon, rather than doing away with it entirely, so it could more effectively work against small ships. As it stands I don't think I would even consider the tracking torp as on par with its predecessor, let alone an upgrade.

As a side note, do you know if the AOE effect from the first weapon will affect friendly ships that get too close?
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Crazie_Guy wrote:As a side note, do you know if the AOE effect from the first weapon will affect friendly ships that get too close?

It is so.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Return to “The Tech”