Torpedo Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Torpedo Technologies

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:59 pm

They shut down turret weapons other than PD. They don't shut down fixed weapons like heavy beams and torps.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Kardagger

Post by Kardagger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Now there's some foresight from the galaxy's ship engineers. PD on backup power and buffered from the main power grid. It's like they knew those aliens would throw around EMP bursts.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Didn't it used to only effect the weapons on the section it hit? Does it not work that way anymore?

Also IIRC it only resets the weapon "cooldown", so its more effective against weapons with large cooldowns. The disrupter itself has a cooldown of 6 so if you can keep consistant fire any weapon with a longer cooldown will be effectivly disabled.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:42 am

Yes, disruptors only affect weapons on one section. Bigger weapons in the same family will disrupt the weapons on the entire ship (but still not PD or non-turret weapons.)
Zed's TARs (sample):

ruskyandrei

Post by ruskyandrei » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:01 am

Are you sure they dont *slightly* reduce the recharge cd ? I was fighting zuul DN's and they had loads of pulsars on them and they kept shooting one of my Ass/Barr dreads and it didnt fire a beam or a torpedo for over 1m.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:09 am

Hm, when I was using EMPs on enemy dreads equipped with HCLs it didn't seem to affect the heavy beam weapons at all. I'd hit the dread with EMPs and it would fire its HCLs moments later.

More testing may be needed.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ruskyandrei

Post by ruskyandrei » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Well my DN was being hit with a LOT of pulsars (something like 9 or 12 every 15s or whatever their cd is). I actually took some time to look at the cutting beam reload bar and i could've sworn it moved down ever so slightly every time a pulsar hit.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 am

ZedF wrote:Hm, when I was using EMPs on enemy dreads equipped with HCLs it didn't seem to affect the heavy beam weapons at all. I'd hit the dread with EMPs and it would fire its HCLs moments later.

More testing may be needed.

Are you sure they didn't have EMP hardening?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Yes, because it stopped their turret weapons just fine. Just not the heavy beams.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ruskyandrei

Post by ruskyandrei » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

I really love the direct fire torps, and i always get them and use them whenever i roll them (as humans, quite often).

Actually have a question about the new Kelvinic one. On the wiki it says each hit increases damage taken by 5%. Sounds pretty good but i was wondering how long this "debuff" lasts ?

Also, does anyone know if the constant overshooting is a bug ? I'm not expecting each torpedo to hit at 2000 range every time but seeing 5 AS/Barr cruisers fitted with photonics overshoot a cruiser moving towards them in a straight line (tarka, not liir so no wiggly thing), by just a milimeter or so, seems somewhat odd (90% of the longish range shots seem to miss this way, sometimes even happens when both the target ship and the shooter are standing still). The meson ones seem to hit the target much more often, according to the wiki they're the only ones with a much smaller targeting inacc %.

I tried targeting a point towards the bottom of the hull when i'm shooting from above too, to compensate, but most still go wide by just a very very small margin.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Check the bug report forums, and/or ask there to see if this is a known bug or intended. I know I've seen direct fire torps missing a lot more than they used to. It could be related to the same behaviour that allows heavy beams to fire more when they are close to lined up rather than perfectly lined up (which is good or bad depending on how fast your ship can get that hbeam shot lined up thereafter.)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:24 pm

even at a perfect line up shot, accuracy will still create a deviation, though it should be somewhat random displacement. Also beams and torps use different targeting code though they share the need for the ship to aim itself.

Grizzam

Post by Grizzam » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:04 am

a few things that can decrease your accuracy:

- distance, longer range usually = less accurate
- torp-firing ship's speed. If you are moving and firing, you are less accurate.
- enemy ship's speed is a fair factor in direct fire torp accuracy. Keep in mind while your tarka targets aren't particularly small, they do have a decent top speed, and their profile in a 'head on' engagement is fairly small

combining all three of these things together, you can see some fairly innacurate torp fire :)

I could be wrong, but it seems to be the status quo that transversal velocity + angular velocity = decrease in accuracy for a lot of weapons. I think I have the right terminology there :P

Monkeyking

Post by Monkeyking » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:28 am

Has anyone used Kelvinic Torpedo because I am in a game that has a link to them? They look promising but I don't know how effective they are.
"And I say that selling you soul to the devil is only done by the stupid. Why sell your soul for temporarily pleasure ,and eternal servitude where it be far easier to rent it." Charles John Heredia

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:25 am

Kelvanic torps aren't the best weapon in the game... but they make all your other weapons better.

Each hit from a Kelvanic torp increases the damage that ship takes by 5% (and the fire rate isn't too bad) so mounting them on cruisers with DN command means (for Hivers) a salvo of 14. If all 14 hit then other weapons will do 70% more damage. There is probably a hard cap somewhere (at least 100%) but I don't know what it is. I do know that it cuts ships down to size so to speak... I do know that the difference can be notable in how quick a target goes down after taking a few of those torps. Saturation makes them most effective IMO.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “The Tech”