Energy Weapon Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Mecron
Kerberos

Energy Weapon Technologies

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:02 am

Your place to post observations, questions and comments on Energy Weapons tech and its tree in SoTs.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:57 am

Is there any benefit to the "lower" spinal mount weapon over the one above it? (Neutron and whatever's below it)

Also you may want to give a note about requiring spinal mounts for DE class ships.

Also why don't point defense lasers get upgraded along with the regular lasers (freqency wise)?

Introversity

Post by Introversity » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 pm

Frederf wrote:Also why don't point defense lasers get upgraded along with the regular lasers (freqency wise)?

Wavelength, not frequency. :P

Agent
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Agent » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:32 pm

Same Difference

And I personally say frequence, because you listen to 1023 AM Radio, where the 1023 is the frequency.
Ï€ - This is pi. My sig is now irrational.
The Iron Chef has the solution to the hiver menace.

Bossman
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Bossman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:12 pm

Frederf wrote:Also why don't point defense lasers get upgraded along with the regular lasers (freqency wise)?

Maybe it has something to do with the amount of energy needed to make the laser work at the different wavelength?

Agent wrote:And I personally say frequence, because you listen to 1023 AM Radio, where the 1023 is the frequency.

There's no difference in meaning between the two, so they can be swapped in your sentance and not change it at all. Also, -3 points for forgetting your SI unit.
All offers void where prohibited, but especially in Quebec.

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Yaaaaay Hz!!!!
Boomer

"ΜΟΛΩÎ

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:23 pm

Frederf wrote:Is there any benefit to the "lower" spinal mount weapon over the one above it? (Neutron and whatever's below it)

Also you may want to give a note about requiring spinal mounts for DE class ships.

Also why don't point defense lasers get upgraded along with the regular lasers (freqency wise)?

This was asked a long time back. The answer that Mecron gave was that the higher-tech lasers have issues firing at the super high speeds that are required to make an effective point defense weapon. The unstated reason is that with one type of laser PD, you don't really need any other ones, since the benefits of one type over another would be pretty much lost.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah I guessed something along those lines, also it'd make there be 6+ PDS weapons instead of two in the weapons select. But I'd thought I'd ask anyway.

Could just say anything more advanced than red lasers are too massive for the PDS mount motors.

And I honestly did type wavelength and then pressed backspace and typed freqency. I'm a BS in Physics so I know that wavelength, frequency, and energy per photon are all the same measure.

PiousFlea

Post by PiousFlea » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Frederf wrote:Is there any benefit to the "lower" spinal mount weapon over the one above it? (Neutron and whatever's below it)

Less expensive, just like how a dreadnought packed with green lasers will be quite a bit cheaper than a dread packed full of other stuff.
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:14 am

"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

OCAB

Post by OCAB » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:47 pm

Does the Plasma Cannon lead to any other energy based weapons or is it a one-off (That can occasionally lead to plasma torpedos)?

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:37 pm

There area couple of different cannon weapons in the full game, but in the demo the plasma cannon is the end of the line (besides the branch-off to torpedoes)
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:12 pm

in the full game plasma cannons lead to fusion cannons. The is a fair amount of crossover links between the energy cannons and energy torpedos lines of inquiry.

stopgap

Post by stopgap » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:33 am

mecron, ive been wondering... does reflective plating help against All energy weapons? or just against lasers?
Veni Vini Vici

Major Diarrhia

Post by Major Diarrhia » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:00 am

Mecron wrote:in the full game plasma cannons lead to fusion cannons. The is a fair amount of crossover links between the energy cannons and energy torpedos lines of inquiry.

Tell me it works like a giant space flamethrower, please!

Return to “The Tech”