Ballistic Weapon Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Profound_Darkness

Re: Ballistic Weapon Technologies

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Both shotgun and bursters can be bad for your own ships but since you are tending to shoot at enemies with these guns the odds are that you will hurt them a LOT more than yourself. Bursters are a bit more likely to have friendly fire. I always considered them to be havoc weapons with potentially good damage. Nothing breaks up a tight enemy formation quite like shrapnel grenades and shotgun blasts... By break up I mean either the formation falls apart, or the ships in the formation fall apart.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

f4hy

Post by f4hy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 am

In every test I have done shotguns and busters are never worth it. For that matter stormers as well.

I have tried it out and a ship with just plain old mass drivers will do more damage than shotguns or bursters against all ship types. So why ever research them? First I thought that shotguns would be great against the swarm, but they are not nearly accurate enough. MY red lasers end up doing FAR more damage than shotguns against the swarm.

Maybe shotguns are meant to be used against large ships? Makes some sense because then at least some of them till hit. I could see how the knockback is nice, but I appear to get just as much knockback from using extra mass drivers or heavy drivers, but with more damage.

Shotguns/bursters/stormers they all look cool, but if you want a useful Ballistic Weapon just stick to the core tree.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:01 am

Bursters and stormers, at least, do quite a bit of damage. In the case of bursters, though, it doesn't show up on the damage summaries as burster damage, it shows up as unsourced mass driver damage (which isn't credited to your ships with bursters.) Also, having fire control helps with both of them, bursters especially. Moreover, stormers are really only effective versus unarmoured targets, and bursters only against unarmoured or lightly armoured targets.

Check out my Tarka TAR (Supermassive Black Zuul) for an example of how bursters, in the right situation, can really ruin an enemy's day. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

S.K. Ren

Post by S.K. Ren » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:46 pm

I have to ask, do Neutronium Rounds affect Mass Shotguns and Bursters? I f they do I plan on just churning out Shotgun Dreads with Adamantite for the rest of my current game.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:51 am

Don't see any reason why they wouldn't.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

DervMan