Ballistic Weapon Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:24 pm

PiousFlea wrote:
Grifman wrote:Bursters I suspect work fine without fire control since they're just big grenades and don't need as much accuracy.

Quite the opposite, a direct hit with a burster does alot more than splash damage. You definitely want the fire control.

You miss my point. Yes, a direct hit with a burster does a ton of damage and yes fire control would help with. But for their primary purpose, DE destruction, it is the explosive shrapnel effect that matters and tears up massed DEs.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:29 am

I find fire control bursters do a much better job of killing destroyers.

(the one-hit k.o. direct hit along with the added shrapnel affect that always happens)
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

PiousFlea

Post by PiousFlea » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:04 am

the_ubernoob wrote:I find fire control bursters do a much better job of killing destroyers.

(the one-hit k.o. direct hit along with the added shrapnel affect that always happens)

Yep... Even neglecting the one-hit-kill potential, landing directly in the middle of a destroyer swarm sure beats exploding nowhere near it.
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law

Penance

Post by Penance » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:25 pm

ionno, ive been playing with the ballistic tree versus the missile tree as well, and i really think that the missiles are way better. really the only way to fight missiles is with sheilds, and when you start deciding what the enemy tech is going to be, it gives you a distinct advantage.

like, for example, the Beam dreadnought named 'uber-missile-whore'

:P but back to the thread topic, Sieges seem to be the main benefit of researching ballistics, and 3 assualt shuttles do the same amount of damage. Bursters are a good point, ahvent played around with them much. hmm.....
Two Simple Rules for Life

1) never tell everyone everything you know.

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Penance wrote: really the only way to fight missiles is with sheilds

What's this stuff called point defense for then?

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:57 pm

Also, um...I don't know if I can accept the claim that what I suspect is the highest damage output weapon class in the game isn't viable... Sure, the range isn't the best, and you need some kind of fire control, but in a close in brawl against CA or larger ships, you hit often and very, very hard with balistics.

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:28 pm

:P point defense works against like, 10 missiles or so, but agaisnt a 36-missile swarm, you still take massive damage.

Altough, to be quite hoenst, i dont have much experience with point defense as a mission section. (or command of bigger ships).

like Mecron said 'if the enemy ship can kill a crapload of missiles, just send two craploads worth.'

:D
Two Simple Rules for Life

1) never tell everyone everything you know.

Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Chernobog wrote:Also, um...I don't know if I can accept the claim that what I suspect is the highest damage output weapon class in the game isn't viable... Sure, the range isn't the best, and you need some kind of fire control, but in a close in brawl against CA or larger ships, you hit often and very, very hard with balistics.

Untill the enemy gets Magno-Caramic Lattices then half your shots will be flying harmlessly into space :x
*shakes fist at sky* You havn't seen the last of the Swarm "Merciful Ones"!!!

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Use a fire control system and point your shots at a spot pointing straight at you. Significantly fewer rounds will bounce then. Also, the heavier the weapon the less it bounces and even if it does bounce, the ship will go flying.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:30 am

Penance wrote::P point defense works against like, 10 missiles or so, but agaisnt a 36-missile swarm, you still take massive damage.

Altough, to be quite hoenst, i dont have much experience with point defense as a mission section. (or command of bigger ships).

like Mecron said 'if the enemy ship can kill a crapload of missiles, just send two craploads worth.'

:D

But two can play that game. You send a 36 missile swarm and I'll build a point defense fleet that can take it out. Every action has a counter.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:04 pm

aod every counter has it own counter action, thats why this game is so BRILLENT

Squippy

Post by Squippy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:45 pm

Do we have the exact damage values for ballistic weaps?

Edit: I see on the wiki the damage for Small ballistics is "35".... do we have figures for the medium and large? I'd guesstimate by eye that the mediums are about 50.
--
Sigh nm I found em 'all.

Kontaro

Post by Kontaro » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:52 pm

I have heard about a ballistic weapon known as a 'System Killer' I have not seen this weapon myself, but the dad of my friend who also plays, seems to have used it himself....must be a low chance of getting it
'He who controls the past, commands the future.
He who commands the future, conquers the past.'
-Kane

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:00 pm

maybe they're referring to the Siege Driver?

http://sots.rorschach.net/Siege_Driver_Section

That's the biggest and baddest of the ballistics.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

buddahcjcc

Post by buddahcjcc » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:25 pm

Ya and Seige Drivers dont bounce off

Return to “The Tech”