Warhead Weapon Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
CountessMidnight

Re:

Post by CountessMidnight » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 am

Lazy Perfectionist wrote:Does any particular race ever better odds at high-level mines?

I like to make things go boom! In my few games, I've generally seen more options as hivers then Liir. But I'm curious if any particular race is more likely to have mines. Or less, as the case may be.

based on my handfull of mucking about with races games it seems certain races have there faverite set of weapons they tend to have more selection in.For example i see that alot of the time liir are big on lasers and such and tarken can sometimes be great with slug chuckers or lasers
I toss my hat in with the liir or Tarken i give up on you slow ass bugs and strange little hairless monkeys with your nodes.And the zul dont even get me started on there problems.

CountessMidnight

Re:

Post by CountessMidnight » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 am

Lazy Perfectionist wrote:Does any particular race ever better odds at high-level mines?

I like to make things go boom! In my few games, I've generally seen more options as hivers then Liir. But I'm curious if any particular race is more likely to have mines. Or less, as the case may be.

based on my handfull of mucking about with races games it seems certain races have there faverite set of weapons they tend to have more selection in.For example i see that alot of the time liir are big on lasers and such and tarken can sometimes be great with slug chuckers or lasers and humans love missles and torps
I toss my hat in with the liir or Tarken i give up on you slow ass bugs and strange little hairless monkeys with your nodes.And the zul dont even get me started on there problems.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Warhead Weapon Technologies

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:25 pm

if you read the racial backgrounds, much of this can be inferred.

jahg84

Post by jahg84 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 pm

What is the effect of putting a missile into a large slot? Does it do more damage? Does it have more hp?

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:41 pm

It becomes double barreled, and fires two missiles at once.

jahg84

Post by jahg84 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks.

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:49 pm

Quick question.. just want to make sure I didn't go insane.....

Do DF racks get upgraded by the Antimatter warheads as well as the missiles and MWM???

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:47 am

Yes. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:29 pm

So from what I know right now... Missiles seem to have the most upgrades?? I mean they get from Nuclear to Antimatter, you get several different types as well as fusion upgrade for engines and Liir possible Flicker Warp upgrade...

Is there favoritism within this tree??? Either way I really like it :thumbsup:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Free upgrades for old systems are more the exception than the rule in SotS. Missile weapons do get a good share of them but several are just warhead improvements, which don't stack as you just use the best warhead you have. Ballistics gets several upgrades as well, which tend to be less impressive individually but which do stack with each other. Energy weapons tend to get fewer upgrades overall.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:25 am

Yea, but Ballistic upgrades each seems to upgrade something different to the ballistic weapon.

Energy Weapons seem to just get better, no upgrades needed. (which sucks when you don't role certain energy weapons you might want :roll:

Missiles however seem to get upgraded Warheads which yes don't Stack :cry: But the engine upgrade for the missiles in Fusion Era is pretty nice :P As well as if you are liir you have dibs on getting the Flicker drive upgrade for missiles which once again is very nice.

PD however can limit missiles to almost useless in late game if you get Phaser PD, but the flicker engine missile upgrade can help in that area a little bit.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 am

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:PD however can limit missiles to almost useless in late game if you get Phaser PD, but the flicker engine missile upgrade can help in that area a little bit.

As does Multiwarhead technology. Even with phaser PD it's hard to completely stop a decent spread of MW missiles (more than just one or two warheads). Although it's best used as a secondary weapon. Either in support of drones&torpedoes to really fill the air with shrapnel, or as a "break the stalemate" weapon for ships primarily armed with ballistic/energy weapons (mostly in those turrets aimed at awkward directions).
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

HiigaranPilot

Post by HiigaranPilot » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:52 pm

One useful trick for the liir is to equip cruiser-class ships with missiles in their two medium engine mounts. Yeah, it's only ten or twelve total missiles for an entire attack fleet, but it's really useful for popping irritating destroyers at long range, gives you SOME extreme-range firepower if you don't have torps aboard, and it forces the other guys to keep devoting some of their small mounts to point defense. Oh, and it lets you put every medium turret on a forward target.

Admittedly, I tend not to do this so much as PD improves, even with the flickerdrive, just because I tend to favor other weapons in the medium mounts (phasers and AM cannons are two particular favorites), so it's more of a midgame and early game thing than a later one.
Although...might be pretty vicious raiders. Not exactly like freighters have loads of health.

ConjurerDragon

Post by ConjurerDragon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:03 pm

In my current game playing the "Upstart Apes" scenario I managed to turn Earth from a Human capital to an independant colony after 10 turns of siege.

Two turns later one of my Biodome Cruisers arrived and I just wanted to destroy the last, single and already damaged (displayed yellow) destroyer satellite of Earth to then take possesion of the planet for the Empire.

However I ran into some problems.

First is that the planets missiles suddenly split into half a dozen missiles shortly before hitting a ship - before the Human missiles coulnd´t get through my red laser point defence, but now the independant human colony suddenly always hits with several of their split missiles...?
What technology is that? And how can the independant colony have that if the Humans didn´t use it against me?

Second is the satelite. I want to take Earth without further annihilating the existing population. I already have moved the climate hazard above 1000 so if the colony would be destroyed I would not be able to resettle it. However even if I immeditely race my ships towards the planet and then circle it counter-clockwise I only reach the satellite a few seconds before the 4 Minute time runs out...

Any ideas what I´m doing wrong?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 pm

The split missiles tech is MWM missiles. Independents always get it for free, empires have to research it.

If the CH is already over 1000 to you, then you won't be able to settle it even if the satellite is destroyed because the Indys won't surrender to you due to environmental concerns. You will need to back off and wait for them to terraform the planet themselves down to something you can colonize.

As far as the remaining satellite goes, you can split your forces and go around both directions and see if it's closer one way than the other... or else get faster ships to do the job. Generally, as Tarka and without researching speed improvement techs, HH/armour cruisers will be your fastest ships.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “The Tech”