Warhead Weapon Technologies

Research and Development in the SotS universe.
Astatine

Re: Warhead Weapon Technologies

Post by Astatine » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:37 am

Personally I'm pretty sure the neutronium would be the softer part of the alloy, used to make it less brittle and better able to absorb a blow.
Life is sometimes stranger than fiction

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Wow didnt realize I stumbled onto another ballistics post... :roll: hmmm... how effective are mines really? especially with PD? As well taking into consideration all the research involved
Assumptions and interpretations are the lens through which we view the world, sometimes deluding ourselves that what we see is the truth.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:32 pm

TriniWarlord wrote:Wow didnt realize I stumbled onto another ballistics post... :roll: hmmm... how effective are mines really? especially with PD? As well taking into consideration all the research involved

When it comes to regular minelayers the Leap Mine is fairly effective, while most other mine types are...less useful.

When it comes to COL Leap mines are deadly (but of course COLs require a lot more gear), fusion mines and up do quite decent damage, but I suspect that the implosion mine might be awesome. Never gotten implosion mines though so...who knows.

With 3 COL cruisers loaded with leap mines and you can easily crack a cruiser with a single salvo (and do some decent damage to anything nearby).
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Regular minelayers tend to be very effective against the AI, providing the speed differential between your races is not too large. The AI doesn't know not to follow your minelayers lengthwise through a minefield as they drop it.

Concentrated PD phaser fire will make life hard for minelayers, but other forms of PD tend to be inadequate to the task, providing there are sufficient mines laid to saturate defenses. Mines depend on quantity of targets to overwhelm PD, rather than on being nimble, so just a couple minelayers will rarely be effective unless the enemy has no dedicated PD at all.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 am

Implosion Mine COLs are fun if finicky. I used to use them in CR strikeforce groups against DN armadas.

When I fire a salvo of 3 COLs to the side of a DN, they'll stop the DN and pull it sideways and hold them in the fires. I remember that I usually do about 170k-ish dmg with them. The enemy had phasor PD though, that's why I needed the salvo of 3. The phasor PD made the game difficult..

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Tue May 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Used Cracker COLs wit AM mines, WOW :shock: that made the mine tree a very effective option, especially for someone like me who Never used mines before... ever. But I must say I'll definitely be doin some research into mines and COL's next time around :wink:
Assumptions and interpretations are the lens through which we view the world, sometimes deluding ourselves that what we see is the truth.

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Tue May 18, 2010 3:18 pm

A question tho, which do u all personally prefer? Leap mines which do less damage but more reliably hit their targets or AM mines which pack in the most firepower?
I wonder if grav mines can pull enemy missiles back onto their own ships, hmmm :twisted: certainly worth trying

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue May 18, 2010 3:51 pm

TriniWarlord wrote:A question tho, which do u all personally prefer? Leap mines which do less damage but more reliably hit their targets or AM mines which pack in the most firepower?

It's a tough choice, especially when you're using crackers to distribute them.

Personally I'm more of a Leap mine person though. Even though leap mines have less "oomph" and less health (AM mines have 45 health vs 20 for leap mines. That means that even PD phasers will be unable to take out two AM mines per burst, vs a potential 3 leap mines) they waste less mines and they're harder for lesser PD defenses to deal with.
Neither Gauss or Laser PD is all that effective against leap mines.
They also give mine layers a bit more maneuver room, which tends to help.

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:They also give mine layers a bit more maneuver room, which tends to help.

Does that mean that u can suffer friendly fire from mines? Also I guess it is personal preference an what tactics ur employing. Although as u stated that AM mines hav so much health it may be more effective in a COL. Since the COL places the mines right on top of the enemy and the fact that AM mines deal bout 3x more damage than Leap mines while the downside is the spread of mines and lack of "leap" ability means that a few ships with Phasor PD can probly neutralize most of them. I wonder if u actually 'hit' an enemy ship with the Cracker it guarantees at least 6-7 hits as it blows?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue May 18, 2010 5:15 pm

TriniWarlord wrote:
fiendishrabbit wrote:They also give mine layers a bit more maneuver room, which tends to help.

Does that mean that u can suffer friendly fire from mines?

No. But you can set up more complex minefields and it's easier to manipulate a brawl so that it ends up in the fresh minefield your minelayers just put down directly behind the frontline.
This is especially true if you're using destroyer minelayers, although for cruisers the leap mines are more effective in the "drop mines in the middle of it" tactic (where a leap mine launcher turns into a 100dps all-round coverage, highly accurate weapon of death. And the range isn't too shabby either).

It just opens up more complex mine tactics.

TriniWarlord

Post by TriniWarlord » Wed May 19, 2010 3:26 am

Cool I'm playing Tarka now, gonna give em ah try :thumbsup:

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 am

Ah when you get to try out implosion cracker col, you'll forget all about AM mines..

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed May 19, 2010 7:49 am

Mesaia wrote:Ah when you get to try out implosion cracker col, you'll forget all about AM mines..

IF you get the Implosion cracker COL.

If you're Morrigi or Zuul the chance of netting Cracker COLs isn't too good (65 and 50% respectively).
If you're not Morrigi or Zuul the chance of getting Implosion mines is even worse (somewhere in the 30-40% range).

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Thu May 20, 2010 6:13 am

Play a few more games, you'll get to try out the implosion cracker eventually.

MrTonic

Post by MrTonic » Thu May 20, 2010 2:34 pm

The implosion cracker is awesome. Especially cloaked. I've giggled at the results before.

Return to “The Tech”