Game rules/mechanics questions

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Game rules/mechanics questions

Post by ZedF » Tue May 15, 2018 6:35 pm

I have a few questions about wandering monsters...

1. Am I correct to assume/stipulate that ‘always ambush’ monster ability only applies in rooms, not to wandering monsters, since (a) ambush is a room property, (b) wandering things aren’t hiding, (c) there is no cover in hallways, and (d) blocking the entire unexplored facility with a hidden monster is harsh, compared with just blocking completion of a single room in a normal ambush.

2. If I draw a wandering monster with a move of 0, is it correct to assume it should have a move of 1 until it is released?

3. If a wandering monster is released, and is released into a corridor with a PC, does it attack immediately? If it has a move of 3 and only moves 2 on the track before it is released, can it move a 3rd time to an adjacent corridor to make an attack if there is nobody in its release corridor?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Game rules/mechanics questions

Post by Mecron » Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Hey Zed!

1) You are indeed correct

2) Correct once again!

3) Nope the round it appears it does not move or attack.

Good questions and we will make sure to clarify these things in the rules!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue May 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Thanks!

More questions...

1) When buying skills, I assume you just gain a single skill level in one skill of your choice, not draw a skill card at random, right? Can skills be increased higher than +3, e.g. by buying two cards for the same skill?

2) Can a player opt to defer their turn in the turn order until later in the player actions phase? (Would be nice, but I can see why the answer might be no.) If so, are there any rules about doing so?

3) During the special action phase, when trading an item with another player, does that mean give, take, and/or exchange? Is there any limit to the number of items that can be traded, per player special action, between the same two players?

4) When a crazed surgeon wants to roll a number of specials exceeding a player's might stat, is that the same as their combat dice not including weapons? Should I assume items such as brawler armour help the player here, as well as with wielding the Sword of the Stars?

5) I don't see any chart in the manual that shows what the conditions do. What are the differences between them & how do they work? Do they fade naturally over time, apart from whatever (limited) resources the players have to get rid of them?

6) When a monster inflicts (say) 3 levels of poison per special rolled and rolls 5 fate dice, if (say) 4 specials are rolled, does that mean the player has 12 levels of poison? Or can condition-granting specials only happen once per attack?

7) It is correct that a player cannot use medical skill apart from using it with a room ability or in conjunction with an item?

8 ) For rooms that spawn bots as part of the room ability, when does this happen? Once when the room is revealed? Each time the players try to use the room ability?
Zed's TARs (sample):

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 pm

1) single skill of choice and and single card to 3 is the limit

2) nope

3) give take and no limit

4) Its their might stat...the stat at the top of their player card

5) Did you not get player reference cards? That's where the info is but yes it should be in the manual as well.

6) count all the successes so yes that would be 12 levels of poison

7)Correct

8) When the room is revealed.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Ok, found the might stat and the player conditions on the quick reference card. Thanks :)

1) Can you have more than 1 level of aflame? If so, what effect does it have? Does it stack in duration like poison so you need multiple consecutive rolls of 3+ hits on multiple turns to remove the flames? If you roll 6 hits based on might, can you remove 2 levels of aflame?

2) Does each level of disease after the first remove an additional combat die, or is only one dire removed regardless of the number of disease levels?

3) Can you have more than 1 level of stunned? If so, what effect does it have - do you lose additional dice? How do you get rid of it? So far I haven't found anything that would seem to do the job other than medic's special ability.

4) I assume you can't get more than one level of unconscious and that it wouldn't have any additional effect if you did...

5) Is it correct that a neural webbing implant does not help the scout or medic use their special abilities?
Zed's TARs (sample):

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 pm

1) nope you are on fire or you are not. While you are on fire you lose a hp per turn as it says on the card and also you are reduced a red and green die as it says in the latest version you don't have :twisted:

2) Nope, just one.

3) Nope just one and it leaves automatically at the end of your next turn.

4) Correct

5) incorrect!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Re neural web: ok, the version of the card I have says it gives an extra fate die specifically to attacks, not whenever fate dice are rolled, so it was good to check.

1) Some monster cards say a special gives +2 AP to one hit, but I assume that's supposed to mean gives AP to 2 hits since there's no such thing in this game as hardened armour that resists being pierced.

2) There is a special system event that gives +2 ammo cards whenever a monster is killed, but there are no such cards... I assume that should just be +2 ammo straight to your track instead.

3) Are +ammo and +food cards instant use? They don't say, but I assume so.

4) Do only green cards take up inventory slots, or do spare weapons/armour, +food/+ammo cards, etc. take up slots too? I assume so but wanted to make sure since the layout around the player card might suggest only green items count.

5) If a player gets hit with disease during the monster phase, and the medic is in the same area but did not use his special ability during the player actions phase, can he use it during the special actions phase to try to reduce its severity? When does the player roll to reduce the severity of the disease? At the start of his next player action, similarly to aflame?
Zed's TARs (sample):

Return to “Discussion”