Comparing to the Original Pit

Talk about all things to do with the roguelike FPS.
fangorn-forrest
Kerberos

Comparing to the Original Pit

Post by fangorn-forrest » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi all!

This thread is intended to be a place where players of the original Sword of the Stars: The Pit can come and talk about how well they feel Pit of Doom matches up to the overall feeling of the original game. This is NOT a thread for folks to suggest new features; that should be handled in the Suggestions Forum. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!

And remember to keep it civil!

Cheers!
The Assistant Designer

AlanF5

Re: Comparing to the Original Pit

Post by AlanF5 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 am

What feels the same is the drive to look in every corner and under every rock for vital but limited resources. The relief of finding a duraknife when my machete is down to 5 durability. The calculation of which enemies or situations are worth spending bullets. The long, slow sigh of disappointment when I fail to bring a damaged repair station online... again.

What feels different is the way that tension is built while exploring the environment. The darkness and fog and intimacy of the first-person perspective is unsettling in a way that top-down sprites aren't. The release of that tension into fight or flight is also very different in turn-based vs real-time. If I panic in Original Pit, I can take a breath, check my inventory, weigh my options, and try to figure out a set of optimal moves. If I panic in PoD, I just have to move. Forget opening my inventory during combat - if it's not already on the hotbar, it doesn't exist.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:12 pm

so is that...good? :twisted:

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:40 am

Yeah, it's good. Familiar, but different. Scratches a slightly different itch, but it's still Rogue In Space, which was much of the appeal of original Pit.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:43 am

glad you are grooving on it...spread the word!

Vanish

Post by Vanish » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Watching The Pit's various denizens and creatures swarm around you in 3D is an absolute delight because everything is just so faithful, both mechanically and aesthetically.

For example, Proteans were already terrifying in the rogue but now you get to watch them try to melt your hard-earned gear from a much more involved perspective.. or maybe they snuck behind you and its already too late?!

Someone get me a blanket I'm scared :awesome:
"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:25 pm

lol perfect! that's the exact feeling we were aiming for?

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 pm

A little late to the party, but I'm definitely grooving on The Pit: Infinity. It's just as frustrating as the original... food, why are you so hard to find?

:)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Craft, man! CRAFT!!!

Return to “The Pit: Infinity General Discussion”