Best Drone Weapons?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Best Drone Weapons?

Post by Mecron » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 am

an X-Ray beamer IS a phasor for all intents a purposes...you just can't pump that much sustained power through a light barrel. :wink:

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 pm

One tactic I tried that was effective for Morrigi heavy drones was 2x chakkar. Was very effective and immediately makes drones a priority to take out.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

mystiqblackcat

Post by mystiqblackcat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:04 pm

I always go for Beamers on swarm drones and Plasma/Fusion/AM Cannons on Heavy Drones. I like the idea of putting PD on drones; makes me think of Star Wars style fighter battles. Although it sounds fun I'd like to know how practical it is.

Clarity

Post by Clarity » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 pm

mass drivers or ap mass drivers are great on heavy drones for dreadnought era, as almost all of the shots will hit at the same time resulting in incredible knockback(and damage of course)
{[(hiver player)]}

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 pm

they chew my frame rates down to almost nothing, so be aware that older machines struggle with that many bullets on screen at once.

I had fusion cannons on all ships, and 2 dreadnought carriers worth of AP driver rounds at an enemy world with full light and medium sats and hundreds of reserve ships.

I had to use sensor window.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Zastaver

Post by Zastaver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 pm

patton1942 wrote:I had to use sensor window.

HA amen to that. also mass shotgun/stormer Zuul heavys are lagfingtastic

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 pm

In a multiplayer game, when the enemy launched their Strikeforce CnC-worth of Liir Drones armed with Light Emitters, I could make a cuppa tea... between each frame. Okay maybe not quite, but the machine was sitting at 0.0 FPS for a long time. ;)

As to mounting point defence on Drones, it can work very well if the enemy are using Interceptor Missiles. It meant the difference between Drones being completely ineffective to Drones being effective in the right number. It also looked amazing, although it was kinda slow.

TriNova

Post by TriNova » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:33 am

I find that some of the best weapons to put on Drones are ones with quick time to targets. Phasers are my favorite for heavy drones, especially on the Liir drones. Its just the swarms of beams from improbable angles that gets me. It also heavily reminds me of the Oculus from Mass Effect 2.

Just a thought, has anybody tried disruptor whips on Zuul drones? What has your experience been with them?

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 am

TriNova wrote:...
Just a thought, has anybody tried disruptor whips on Zuul drones? What has your experience been with them?

Overdose wrote:Just found out something strange.....

Zuul drones with Disruptor whips = funny (bad funny)

It's also a little buggy too, sometimes the drones acquire targets, sometimes they just hover around the drone ship and wait till enemy is in range.

As far as weapons go. Sniper cannons were rather lame however if I microed them (have drones on weapon group 2 and hold fire to recall drones) they might be interesting. Sniper cannons with some other short range high dps weapon could be good (thinking of Morrigi 3 mounts).

BTW: Morrigi drones armed with pulsed phasors and a single PD phasor is quite neat vs enemy drone swarm...

url to the part in question... (and a bit of a plug).
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Man, that was a pretty tight vid, PD.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Nice video. So I'm guessing that's what SotS looks like on a chunky machine..?

S.K. Ren

Post by S.K. Ren » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 am

Personally I find War Quoits > Pulse Phasers for small weapons. Unless you have quantum capacitors then Pulse Phasers > All.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:56 am

Reeeaally? Their damage is pretty pathetic, even against heavy armor. Might make sense if the enemy has improved reflective and adamantine, I guess.
The chakkars on heavy drones, now, that's more like it.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:06 pm

I have found full PD drone flights to be fairly effective against missile heavy targets. While the drones arent dealing any damage, having them fly a tight CAP around the hostile missile boats is comforting when my main strike force doesnt have a lot in the way of PD.

The heavy PD fielded by the drone flights also increases survivability against interceptors.
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

S.K. Ren

Post by S.K. Ren » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:10 am

I've been doing some Theorycrafting and field testing for various weapons and have come to the following conclusion. Also I will only cover the last weapon in a weapon Type unless it changes mount size (I.e. Only Pulse Phasers and not X-Ray but both War Quoit and Chakkar).

First a quick rundown of the weapons:

Small Mount

Pulse Phaser - 20 DPS ( 3x 40 Effective Damage /6 Sec)
Pros: -180% Ricochet, High Accuracy
Cons: Antimatter Era, Sadorandomizer

UV Beamer - 12.1875 DPS ( 130 Damage *0.75 Sec Duration /8 Sec)
Pros: 100% Accuracy, No Ricochet
Cons: Flat Damage Reduction against Reflective Coatings (25%, 50% Improved), Slow Track Speed, Slow RoF

War Quoit - 5 DPS ( 25 Effective Damage/ 5 Sec)
Pros: No Ricochet, Moderate Accuracy, +% Damage equal to target's Armor Health Modifier.
Cons: Low Damage

Light Emitter - 5.25 DPS (70 Damage *0.75 Sec Duration /10 Sec)
Pros: No Ricochet, 100% Accuracy, Acts as PD, Jumps to (1) Additional Target(s)
Cons: Short Range, Slow RoF, Sadorandomizer

Note: Ballistics have many passive upgrades that will change these numbers. I will give the bare bones and fully upgraded (VRF, Neutronium, Acceleration Amp) variations.

Gauss Cannon 9 DPS [18.36 DPS] ( 45 Damage/ 5 Sec); [45 Damage* (1 +0.5 Neutronium +0.2 Accel Amp) /5 *1.2 VRF] )
Pros: Starting Weapon
Cons: -90% Ricochet, Low Accuracy

AP Gauss Cannon - 4.166 DPS [8.5 DPS] (25 Damage /6 Sec; [25 Damage* (1 +0.5 Neutronium +0.2 Accel Amp) /6 *1.2 VRF] )
Pros: High Accuracy, -150% Ricochet
Cons: Reduced Mass

From this we can see Pulse Phasers are the best in terms of raw DPS. Light Emitters are amazing vs anything in the Fission Era often getting 10.5 DPS due to the additional hit, you just need to be luck and roll them. The War Quoits usefulness varies as at most vs Adamantine your get up to 10 Which is still very little.

Ill post Medium Mounts and PD in a little while.

Return to “The Weapons”