Best Drone Weapons?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Yaotzin

Re: Best Drone Weapons?

Post by Yaotzin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

There's nothing better than popping an entire Zuul DE fleet with a massive swarm of emitter drones :D

Couple questions 1) my drones got fried by emitters once. Are they good again with hardened electronics or do emitters obsolete drones? 2) Phaser PD seems to completely obsolete drones. Anyone figured out a way past them or at least to mitigate them?

At least PPD is lategame and the sadorandomizer doesn't give it all that often anyway except to the high tech races.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Best Drone Weapons?

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 pm

1. Depends on how many emitters of what sizes. Enough of them will still overwhelm drones, but that may not leave much non-emitter firepower to deal with carriers.

2. The only things that will help here are lots of other seeking weapons to distract the PD, or careful micro of the drones to keep them mostly out of PD range. If the enemy has oodles of phaser PD it may be better to try another approach, just as it might be better to try something other than ballistics if grav shields are in play, or something other than energy weapons if absorbers are in play.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:39 pm

nickersonm wrote:You're not able to deploy more than 2 with an Armada CnC, 3 with a Flagship CnC. Add *five* more if you have both CP techs and some outnumbering.

FTFY. Oh, wait, that's with max outnumbering. That fleet's gonna cost you. :lol:

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:10 pm

It won't be cheap, but in my current game I've started designing deliberately cheap Dreadnoughts. That's partially because the cheaper weaponry is returning back into favour, because the more advanced stuff is being countered by more advanced defensive technologies ("defend against these Armour Piercing Mass Drivers, then") and also because my Hiver Dreadnoughts were costing "just" 1.4M credits rather than 2.4M...

It's a whole discussion point seeing as the upkeep is the same regardless of the initial cost...

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:25 pm

DervMan wrote:...because my Hiver Dreadnoughts were costing "just" 1.4M credits rather than 2.4M...

It's a whole discussion point seeing as the upkeep is the same regardless of the initial cost...

Price difference: 1Mcr
Upkeep: 15kcr
Turns for upkeep to equal price difference (ignoring the fact that the more expensive one has the same upkeep): 67
Look on your opponent's face when you field 7-8 dreadnaughts and walk over his puny Flagship fleet: Priceless. Be sure to include jammers and hit him while he's not looking. :bangdesk:

Nerhesi

Post by Nerhesi » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Quick question... and part of observation.

Human drones - is it just me that is finding regular drones armed with 2 pulse phasers better than heavies? Even with an AM cannon, the dps difference is 40 vs 53 or so - except for the significant difference in miss chance.

Also - anyone try mass swarm drones with sniper cannons?

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Nerhesi wrote:Human drones - is it just me that is finding regular drones armed with 2 pulse phasers better than heavies? Even with an AM cannon, the dps difference is 40 vs 53 or so - except for the significant difference in miss chance.

1.) Swarm drones tend to pop faster to PD unless heavily armored, and you can't put heavier armor on them. Maybe early game...but then you don't have pulse phasers.
2.) No, but it sounds like fun... :D

Nerhesi

Post by Nerhesi » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Torezu wrote:
Nerhesi wrote:Human drones - is it just me that is finding regular drones armed with 2 pulse phasers better than heavies? Even with an AM cannon, the dps difference is 40 vs 53 or so - except for the significant difference in miss chance.

1.) Swarm drones tend to pop faster to PD unless heavily armored, and you can't put heavier armor on them. Maybe early game...but then you don't have pulse phasers.
2.) No, but it sounds like fun... :D

Oh wow - I didnt know I'd get more options for armor upgrades on the heavy drones. So you're saying I can put up quark resonators/adamantite etc etc?

Also - will Sniper Cannon equipped drones attempt to stay at effective range? (700ish) therefore - staying out of Phaser PD range.

It just seems that phaser PD completely annihilates drones of any type, any armament, any any anything.. regardless of reflective what not :)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Reflective doesn't affect phasers, or phaser PD.
You can get tougher armour on bigger drones in some cases, but usually not Quark and never Adamantite. IIRC Hiver heavy drones have the most potential armour.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Nerhesi

Post by Nerhesi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 am

So is there no reason to use the swarm vs heavy drones?

Does the speed not matter much? like 230 vs 160?

so basically heavy dron with AM cannon for the win?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:21 am

Really it depends on what you are fighting. AM cannon will have more trouble hitting some things. Or if you need to include a point defense weapon for survivability versus interceptor missiles then you will need swarm drones.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Nerhesi

Post by Nerhesi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:56 am

Since you're pretty responsive :) I got another couple...

how badly does Mass Effect (get it? haha I'm a killer, KILLER! YOU LAUGH NOW) - but seriously, how much does mass effect maneuverability? So is there a huge diff between moriggi and human heavy drones due to mass?

The other question is regarding Chakkars -I heard they're excellent on drones? Due to the great ability to hit. Correct? Any experience?

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:04 am

ZedF wrote:Or if you need to include a point defense weapon for survivability versus interceptor missiles then you will need swarm drones.

Except Morrigi, for they are awesome. :D

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:17 am

Morrigi heavy drones don't have any point defense ability, so yeah they would need swarm drones to use PD too. Zuul heavy drones are the only ones with a light mount.

The game is physics-based, so yes mass matters. :) But drones in general tend to be pretty darn maneuverable so I don't know that you'd notice it much. I don't recall ever having used drones as humans actually.

I don't think I've tried Chakkars on drones either, but I hear they are good and from what experience I have with heavy drones and Chakkars separately, I have reason to believe that this is likely to be true. Certainly if you have the opportunity to give them a try I would go for it. My gut says AM cannons would be better against DN-sized targets but Chakkars better against smaller ones.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 am

ZedF wrote:Morrigi heavy drones don't have any point defense ability, so yeah they would need swarm drones to use PD too. Zuul heavy drones are the only ones with a light mount.

I was thinking of Morrigi swarm drones, which have 3 light mounts - 2 pulse phaser and 1 PD phaser is fun.

Return to “The Weapons”