Weapon Stat Bars? What do they mean?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Ozymandias

Weapon Stat Bars? What do they mean?

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Weapon stats, what do they mean!

Is it a bar graph with a stat from min to max? Is it just a general indicator that is essentially meaningless?

I ask because if it actually has the same relative scale on all weapons then putting 2 light weapons in a medium mount is always the better option, as 2 uv lasers seems to be better than 1 of any other medium weapon in the demo. (Once you take into account refire, damage, accuracy, etc.

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:50 pm

Not neccessarily - the progression might be non-linear.
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:58 pm

The bar graph uses a set of numbers that seem to be input as relative to one another on a single 1 to 10 scale, per category. But that scale might only be set to include the demo weapons, the full game might reset that scale. As for putting two small weapons instead of a medium in a medium turret, it depends on what you want to do. :) A medium turret tracks slower than a small turret, regardless of what weapon is in it. And some medium weapons, like missiles, have much longer ranges than any small weapon.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:35 am

The bar graph uses a set of numbers that seem to be input as relative to one another on a single 1 to 10 scale, per category. But that scale might only be set to include the demo weapons, the full game might reset that scale. As for putting two small weapons instead of a medium in a medium turret, it depends on what you want to do. Smile A medium turret tracks slower than a small turret, regardless of what weapon is in it. And some medium weapons, like missiles, have much longer ranges than any small weapon.

Yes I know some medium or large weapons have different utility, but turret tracking is really quite meaningless, as a medium turret tracks plenty fast enough to hits things with lasers.

Does anyone actually know exactly what the weapon stats mean? If you take them literally a neutron beam, slow recharge, does approximately twice as much as an emitter, which recharges pretty fast, can have 3 per neutron beam turret, bounces targets, and can't miss.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:01 am

Actually that is not true about turret tracking, if you are turning and the target is racing by a light turret is far more capable thant a medium... and medium turrets don't auto engage missiles.

As for the relative ratings...so how do you want to rate damage? I made this point in another topic but its good here. What is Damage? Is it absolute? What range should we rate the damage? Do we try and average out how long a fixed beam will stay on target? You are dealing with a game with, relative to the standards of 4X, a BIZARRE level of tactical difference in weapons and how they work.

The bars are meant to be a raw guideline of relative strength, ranges recharge times etc. on a scale of 1 to 10. Your experience eventually will be the final word on all these weapons. If you think that 3 emitters is a large turret will be better? try it! Its a game! The stat bars are there to give you a general idea. Are uv lasers as strong as pulse phasers? Nope doesnt seem to be. They seem to hit harder but take as long as emitters...I wonder how that will work out? Find out! :wink:

Emperor Zog
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Emperor Zog » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:59 am

I just follow the "if it costs more or looks cooler, roll with it" rule. So far so good

EDIT: though keep in mind that is why I only built Goliaths and Battleships on starcraft
Hope Rides Alone

"A hero is just a man who knows that he is free." -Last words of Protoman

Agent
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Agent » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:39 pm

Goliaths looked dumb, ooooh, im...some sort of can...with legs.

SIEGE TANK FOR THE WIN!
Ï€ - This is pi. My sig is now irrational.
The Iron Chef has the solution to the hiver menace.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:43 pm

So you take a max damage weapon and figure out what % of that a given weapon does and multiply that by ten for the bars? Same with recharge\accuracy?

Or by relative do you mean you wing it and just assign an arbitrary number? :P

"This be heap-big gun, 9\10!"

I'm looking forward to trying out an emitter dreadnaught, it'd have nigh-on 100 emitters (or something like that) if you put them in every turret huh?

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:52 pm

Emitters are fairly close ranged, and won't help against enemy dreadnoughts (or cruisers for that matter). They'll be hellishly scary though. :wink:

And if you have to bust out a slide rule once in this game, I'll take it and eat it. No slide rule for you! :wink:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:18 pm

They'll help vs any ship where there are 2 or more close enough to bounce. You still get the multiplative effect.

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:27 pm

I dunno, on the wiki there is a quote saying something about a Battle Bridge+Armor+Antimatter Hiver Dreadnaught having 92 light turrets. If you popped an emitter in every one of those, the culmative damage to one ship alone might be respectable.
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:36 pm

But you wouldn't be able to bring all those weapons to bear at the same time. And anyway, why use light emitters when you can put heavy emitters into those large turrets ;)
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:37 pm

For the sake of the experiment :D!
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:45 pm

there is an interesting problem with short ranged weapons and dreadnoughts...can anyone guess what it might be? :wink:

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Nobody wants to get near the dreadnought. Plus they accelerate too damn slow to easily run people down, even with AM drives.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Return to “The Weapons”