Quantum Capacitors

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Banichi

Quantum Capacitors

Post by Banichi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 pm

What exactly do Quantum Capacitors do to beam weapons and shields?

Also, how does it interact with other techs like Shield Magnifier?

MrAlgothi

Re: Quantum Capacitors

Post by MrAlgothi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Quantum Capacitors act much like VRF for beams, they reduce the charge time of beams by 20%, IIRC. They also reduce the refresh time of shields, however I do not know the exact amount. Since Shield Magnifiers dont effect the refresh time for shields, they work well together. Shield Magnifiers increase the damage that can be stopped by a shield, while Capacitors decrease the amount of time they are down.

ignus

Post by ignus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Quantum Capacitors has no effect on shields recharge rate, all it does is increase shield strength by 25% and decreases beam recharging by 20%.

Shield Magnifier increases shield strength by 100% so with both techs you get 125% stronger shields.

Banichi

Post by Banichi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Thank you both very much.

MrAlgothi

Post by MrAlgothi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Quantum Capacitors has no effect on shields recharge rate, all it does is increase shield strength by 25% and decreases beam recharging by 20%.

I stand corrected, thanks Ignus.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 am

Ok, once and for all, what exactly are the weapons affected by Quantum Capacitors? Conventional wisdom would suggest that all beam-like weapons would be affected:

Green Beamer
UV Beamer
Phaser
Particle Beam
Particle Spinal
Neutron Beam
Neutron Spinal
Positron Beam
Positron Spinal
Meson Beam
Meson Spinal
Meson Projector
Tractor Beam
Graviton Beam
Pulsed Graviton Beam
Heavy Combat Laser
Lancer
Cutting Beam
Phaser PD

But if it depends on weaponclass, some of these would not be affected... A guess, only "beam" ones are. So the unaffected weapons are:

Green Beamer (beamer)
UV Beamer (beamer)
Tractor Beam (tractorbeam)
Graviton Beam (tractorbeam)
Pulsed Graviton Beam (pulsedgravbeam)
Heavy Combat Laser (heavybeam) (Typo???)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 am

Get out your stopwatch and try it out. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 am

That would be the hard way - especially for the shorter recharge ones like beamers and phaser pd.
The easy way would be for a dev to answer that one :P

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 am

Easier for you, that is.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 am

Well, since they've made the game they should probably know that kind of stuff without even having to test it out, right?

Vietor

Post by Vietor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 am

BlueTemplar wrote:Well, since they've made the game they should probably know that kind of stuff without even having to test it out, right?

You've never worked on a large multi-year multi-person software project have you? :P

Some of the devs knew, at some point in time, but expecting that sort of esoteric information about a previous product which was initially released half a decade ago? :bangdesk:

(Of course maybe they do, in which case they've either got frighteningly detail oriented memories, or there's a more interesting story behind Quantum Capacitors than you'd expect... :wink: )

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

I'm sure that at least one of the devs knows. OTOH, I'm also sure they are very unlikely to answer this kind of question, because they want people to learn by experimentation and are very un-keen on flat answers to this kind of question. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Oh, be nice guys and point him to the wiki: http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Weapons

:)
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm sorry, but as you can see the wiki does not have any relevant information regarding this question.

Vietor

Post by Vietor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

ZedF wrote:I'm sure that at least one of the devs knows. OTOH, I'm also sure they are very unlikely to answer this kind of question, because they want people to learn by experimentation and are very un-keen on flat answers to this kind of question. ;)

Fair enough, they might happen to still remember, or it may have come up recently or whatever. Maybe as a higher level design decision rather than an implementation detail, its more sticky in their memory. But the expectation of "they wrote the software, they should know random detail X" ? :roll:

As for figuring it out, I've been playing since the beginning and still wouldn't be able to muster much disbelief if 1.8.1 came out with "fixed QCs to actually work" in the patch notes. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but a 20% fire rate change, mixed up with general late game slowdown on my system, is subtle enough to be completely lost to me. I just pick it up and hope it's working for something I'm fielding, but the lack of *knowing* and being able to unambiguously see results (as you can with the armor techs), discourages me from wanting to research it in favor of something with more certain benefits.

(Total aside, and given what very little I know of the weapon spec files it would be not trivial to implement, but ... the sort of visual effect I mean would be if QCs made your beams strobe or throb or something subtle but distinctive, and vaguely evocative of 'being faster'. It sounds stupid, but a purely visual effect like that on top of the actual effect sounds much more rewarding to me. (Maybe I'll tweak the variable for it and see what turns into death beams when next I play.))

Return to “The Weapons”