Quantum Capacitors

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
BlueTemplar

Re: Quantum Capacitors

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Exactly, why didn't I think of that! Set it to something like +400%, the effects will become apparent then...

Also, VRF does the same +20% recharge for ballistics. Did you happen to actually notice the difference in combat? I sure haven't though it's probably there...

TheJoeEffect

Post by TheJoeEffect » Mon May 02, 2011 9:58 am

I made a tiny modification to \Data\Combat\ctechvars.txt
(changed DRV_QNTCAP_BeamChargeMod from 0.2 to 0.99)

Here are the results:

No Effect
Green/UV Beamer

Super Happy Fun Beam Time
Heavy Combat Laser
Lancer
Cutting Beam

Particle Beam
Neutron Beam
Positron Beam
Meson Beam
Graviton Beam
Pulsed Graviton Beam

Phaser
Phaser PD

Meson Projector

Tractor Beam

(note: I didn't test any DE spinal mounts)

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon May 02, 2011 2:06 pm

If Pulse Phasers has been included in the list of weapons that was increased, the rule for which weapons the Quantum Capasitors affects could be as simple as this:

Quantum Capasitors increases the effect of all weapons that has a weapon type of BEAM or LASER.

So have you just forgotten to test Pulse Phasers, or was there no effect for that weapon?

As the weapon type of the spinal mount variant of a weapon remains the same as the standard variant, I think it is safe to say that the Quantum Capasitors also increase the spinal mount variant if it affects the standard variant.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon May 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Since neither regular lasers nor beamers are included, that wont be possible anyway.

So far it looks like it effects all weapons that fire a continuous beam except beamers for some odd reason.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon May 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Oops. But it makes sense now. The rule is simply:

Quantum Capasitors increases the effect of all weapons that has a weapon type of BEAM.

Notice that Beamers have a weapon type of BEAMER.
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

ivra

Post by ivra » Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Which is by the way what the description of the tech says:

Results in 20% increased BEAM weapon rates of fire and 25% stronger shields.

So much fuss about something that was already in the tech description if we had cared to read it carefully :oops:

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Mon May 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Only computer programmers and lawyers would make that kind of distinction innately. To most humans I think "beam weapon" implies weapons that shoot things with beams, and that the name "beamer" would also imply a weapon that shoots things with beams.

DaNuker

Post by DaNuker » Wed May 04, 2011 4:19 pm

I wonder if the Beamer part is a bit of an oversight, or are small beamers just too "small" to have a capacitor fluff wise.

I need to test if the capacitors have effects on Phasors that are placed on drones.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 04, 2011 4:40 pm

I don't think any of the energy weapons would be workable without capacitators(actually, neither would drivers)... though depending on the requirements, beamers might lack the space for quantum caps if those can't be build below a certain size.

As for the phasers, i don't think there is a separate version for drones, so they should work the same.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 pm

DaNuker wrote:I wonder if the Beamer part is a bit of an oversight, or are small beamers just too "small" to have a capacitor fluff wise.

I need to test if the capacitors have effects on Phasors that are placed on drones.

Or the limit there is cool down rather than power requirements.

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

So to upgrade beamers you'd need quantum refrigerators?

johndunk

Post by johndunk » Fri May 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Zalzidrax wrote:Only computer programmers and lawyers would make that kind of distinction innately. To most humans I think "beam weapon" implies weapons that shoot things with beams, and that the name "beamer" would also imply a weapon that shoots things with beams.

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. When I replied (on the first page of the thread) about the wiki I guess I thought it was obvious. The wiki calls out which weapons are "beam weapons" and the capacitor is said to increase the fire rate of "beam weapons". So I thought of them as a class and it made sense.
SotS1: CC 1.8.0 - SotS2: 18864b

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Fri May 06, 2011 4:28 pm

I didn't mean it in an offensive way! I think the same way much of the time. It's just good to keep in mind that it's a learned pattern of thinking.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Zalzidrax wrote:Only computer programmers and lawyers would make that kind of distinction innately. To most humans I think "beam weapon" implies weapons that shoot things with beams, and that the name "beamer" would also imply a weapon that shoots things with beams.

Well, the difference is how they handle reflective coating. It's not an oversight or typo. :p

A BeamER is a beam of light.
A Beam is a beam of particles.

Though, the HCL should be a beamer instead by this logic, shouldn't it..?
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri May 06, 2011 6:24 pm

On the other hand, the Cutting Beam is apparently a particle beam... this makes things a bit confusing.

Return to “The Weapons”