Pulsed Gravy beams

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Allattar

Pulsed Gravy beams

Post by Allattar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:45 pm

So before I thought I would call it a night yesterday I had to try my new tech... Pulsed gravy beams.

You know theres so much tech in ANY now that on smaller maps I dont get that far up the tech tree before winning.

Well I put the stars up to 150 and im trundling along.
I also needed a target to test my new Vengeance class cruisers, AM Battlebridge war cruisers 2 pulsed gravy beams and Heavy AM turrets.

Mr blue tarka had been annoying me and a world with 8 ships looked a prime target.
So my fleet of cruisers and destroyers went to play.
I had 4 Vengeance cruisers one Hesperus Heavy AM cannon cruiser, plus one Viren CNC DS ship that stayed well back, in the first wave and about 40 odd in reserves.

Turned out the Tarka had 4 dreads, and 4 cruisers. 3 dreads in the first wave.

So my Vengeance cruisers went valiantly forward. What the hell lets see what they can do. All targeted the first dread...
I was laughing so hard I forgot to target the other dreads, all its weapons fell off by the second salvo.

After In realised this I targeted the other dread in the line, and stripped most of its weapons as well. The third dread did a little better becuase attrition on my side was kicking in.

The last dread kept its forward facing cannons on the command section :).

3 dreads only one with guns...
I have a new favourite weapon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Every darn time.
shadow wolf wrote:Sorry to be so English.

whatamidoinghere

Re: Pulsed Gravy beams

Post by whatamidoinghere » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:50 pm

They are pretty overpowered, but hey, they're an end-game tech.

Shielded war p-gravy cruisers are awesome against everything except maybe barrage/blazer ships.
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 am

Allattar wrote:So my Vengeance cruisers went valiantly forward. What the hell lets see what they can do. All targeted the first dread...
I was laughing so hard I forgot to target the other dreads, all its weapons fell off by the second salvo.

Whoa, wait, does the PGB start shaking turrets off of ships even if you don't specifically target them? :shock:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:18 am

"pretty overpowered"...except for being countered by the "fill in common tech that arrives much earlier than PG beams" :bangdesk:

whatamidoinghere

Post by whatamidoinghere » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:40 am

Overpowered as is in making all other large weapons obsolete, except maybe inertias, shield breakers, and other specialty weapons
Wonderful, wonderful cookies!

ANY 1.7.1 Firestorm Mod

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:31 am

sure... Better hope they take out the meson beams in the first volley.

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Boom the PGBs seem to shake turrets off the section you shoot.
Fun things they are. I was trying to say I forgot to retarget the beams after I disabled a dread, and then lost a few to attrition from the other dreads.

But how would I counter a PGB wielding enemy?
Keep them at range? shields? disruptors? meson shields. Meson beam the PGBs off. Impactors at a distance..

Have I missed any?
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Every darn time.
shadow wolf wrote:Sorry to be so English.

The_Pastmaster

Post by The_Pastmaster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:06 pm

He said "common tech" so it must be something with a 50/50 chance (+/-) for most races.

I got nothing.
I realize that pulsars are not part of the Canadian military arsenal, but I find that if you shampoo an angry beaver aggressively with "oily hair" shampoo to dry out it's fur and rub it vigorously against a balloon before flinging it at the enemy with a trebuchet, you get a similar effect.

Eleahen wrote:You are a genius!

Someone said it :twisted:

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Allattar wrote:But how would I counter a PGB wielding enemy?
Keep them at range? shields? disruptors? meson shields. Meson beam the PGBs off. Impactors at a distance..

Have I missed any?

DE swarms leaving too may targets for the PGBs to shoot. Fixed weapons (Heavy Beams, Torpedoes, Strafe Sections) have no turrets to destroy so are only lost when the whole section is. Disruptor Shields stop beam weapons, so they may stop PGBs. Grav Shields make you effectively immune to gravitational manipulation weapons. Pulsar Torpedoes and Electro-Magnetic Pulsars resets recharge time of the PGBs.

So yeah, plenty of counters even without talking about the most common method, just blowing up the ships with the PGBs before they can close into range. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:30 am

I still don't like any of the gravity beam techs (tractors, gravity, pulsed gravity). I find that it tends to pull the enemy ship in closer to the enemy's target rather than holding them back or to the side. They also tend to move the ship out of my optimal firing arcs for things like beams. Every now and then they have thrown a dread WAY away from me and at great speeds, off-plane as well (this being bad since the ship can't be caught up with). Exceedingly rare has been throwing them into a planet (mine, theirs, or unowned) which is OK for me.

I guess I just don't know how to use them yet. They are slightly better for attacking with though.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 am

Mecron wrote:"pretty overpowered"...except for being countered by the "fill in common tech that arrives much earlier than PG beams" :bangdesk:

Sniper cannons, to turn the turret-shattering tactic right back at them?
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

(name here)

Post by (name here) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm pretty sure he means disruptors, though he may also be referring to the rare and forbidden power called missiles. Nah, not like that's a core tech or anything, after all. :wink:

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:34 pm

refering to "whatever it takes to win BEFORE pulsed gravies are on the field"

besides, this tech is really rare....unless you're the morrigi and you have guaranteed branches to gravy and pulsed-gravy beams once you get meson beams. Freaking birds.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Return to “The Weapons”