Best Mainline Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Warcat

Re: Best Mainline Weapons

Post by Warcat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 pm

I always preferred energy weapons since ANY (and that montruosity named Rail Guns) when I changed my behaviour going for ballistics (AP Drivers and Impactors) even as Liir... As a general rule of thumb of course.

Vemarkis

Post by Vemarkis » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:28 am

I have found new respect for the War Quoit line, as I was testing out the Finnish translation Sots I'm making, with an all humans single player game. I had the pleasure of being stomped out of existance by dreadnaughts armed with all Chakkar's and some PD laser pd. It doesn't matter if you have quark + imp. reflective phaser & positron beam armed cruisers by the hundreds when your armor has no effect. It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't busy trying to annihilate the VN homeworld cause I noticed they were making the Construct(and the fact is, the VN Homeworld was next to my Homeworld).

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:10 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Beamers yet. They're highly accurate, do decent damage, and link up to pretty useful technologies (Phasers, Phaser PD, etc.).

But wait, there's more!

While Reflective Armor may cut Beamers' damage in half, Beamers don't suffer from ricochet like laser bolts. And you're still doing some damage. And since they're so accurate, you can set them to strip turrets if nothing else.

A highly effective weapon that's available early on, and retains its usefulness well into the late game.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:17 am

A while ago, I had a ton of luck using Hvy emitters and hvy beams together. Both weapons excel in their niches and they seem to cover each other's weak spots nicely.

I designed a Liir battlebridge/war cruiser and equipped it with hvy emitters in the two large slots, lancers (eventually cutting beams), and PD lasers (eventually PD phasers).

The hvy beams excelled in the opening shots of the engagement and focus firing primary targets to death while the Hvy emitters are just nightmarishly effective in furballs, especially if the opponent tries to spam destroyers to minimize the effectiveness of the hvy beams.

As usual, Liirian PD coverage was enough to make the fleet essentially immune to all but the largest missile barrages.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:33 am

the_ubernoob wrote:A while ago, I had a ton of luck using Hvy emitters and hvy beams together. Both weapons excel in their niches and they seem to cover each other's weak spots nicely.

I designed a Liir battlebridge/war cruiser and equipped it with hvy emitters in the two large slots, lancers (eventually cutting beams), and PD lasers (eventually PD phasers).

The hvy beams excelled in the opening shots of the engagement and focus firing primary targets to death while the Hvy emitters are just nightmarishly effective in furballs, especially if the opponent tries to spam destroyers to minimize the effectiveness of the hvy beams.

As usual, Liirian PD coverage was enough to make the fleet essentially immune to all but the largest missile barrages.

Range is a weakness; especially if the enemy tries to deploy impactors.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:38 am

What about your mediums?

Lich

Post by Lich » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 am

Hi,

Just a lame question (I just discovered this wonderfull game): are beamers effective in stopping missles (if PDF is not available)? Should I prefere them to lasers in early\mid game?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:09 am

they are somewhat less effective at it than emitters but better than traditional bolt lasers unless you are sitting very still...and not a lame question at all...Welcome to the game and the boards :thumbsup:

Lich

Post by Lich » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:52 am

So now I must decide for my first starting weapon...
In my last games I used emaitters, but now the are not available - mayby I will go for BEAM THEM OUT tech (Heavy lasers+ beamers+ beams).

Althought sieging plantes will be costly (no PDF).

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 am

Then make sure that it will be painful for your enemy as well. Bring TONS of missiles, and if they have PDF, you might get lucky and salvage it after the battle.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:07 am

Tons of Missiles?

Just a very few missiles is sufficient. You'll want to bring Repair & Salvage Ships for the salvage chance. They don't have to be in the tactical battlefield to be able to salvage.

Lich

Post by Lich » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:30 pm

And I was crushed!! Damn those Hivers and their terrifying balistics weapons. Beaten by AI
But that was just one battle:)

tremor3258

Post by tremor3258 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:41 pm

I think the ton of missiles was to encourage PD-heavy designs showing up in the fleet, right?

I find if the enemy has made it to cruisers, then the time I needed to have something better than emitters is roughly... about the time the enemy made it to cruisers (it does help the ship maintenance totals... :oops: )

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:33 am

You don't need to have tons of missiles. You just need enough to get the Ai to start fielding PD and they usually do because of planetary missiles anyway.

DEs with Light Emitters are fine against most early CR fleets. (Unless they are using Light Emitters themselves naturally).

Try to take on one wing of the enemy fleet at a time and remember to stop when you begin to get in range. I'm assuming that you also have CR CNC. If they have CR CNC and you don't, lets just say that being out-numbered at the point of contact is not helpful.
Last edited by Mesaia on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyRO_4K

Post by PyRO_4K » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 am

i think the best weapon to use is depending on which enemy you are currrently fighting. for example ballistics are devastating to hivers for theyr knockback effect for hivers move and direct slower then others but using versus liir it is mostly useless. also other projectile weapons(including energycannons) are not that good against liir at longer ranges i would recommend beams against em. Tarka ships have kinda round armorplaes which gives them a better chance then humans to ricochet ballistics but gives them bigger surface to hit so energycannons would probably be the best agains them used in close combat

you have to know your enemy if you want to kill them effectively.

btw sorry for my poor english skills

Return to “The Weapons”