Best Mainline Weapons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Best Mainline Weapons

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Plus if you have certain combos of techs you can easily out-range and out-damage many common assault/barrage combos. If I had lancers+sometorp available for assault/barrage/blazers, but also had HAC+firecontrol/AIC available, there's a meaningful choice there as to which would serve my purposes better, even as Morrigi.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Kavik Kang

Post by Kavik Kang » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Pulse Phasers are the best overall weapon, I think. The fact that they are in the small mounts makes them out-perform all other weapons on a "pound-for-pound" basis. And then they excell at point defense as well? Other SFB players out there (I know you are playing SOTS:-) recognize Pulse Phasers as SFB's "Gatling Phaser". This is the ultimate weapon.

I only discovered SOTS recently, but so far my favorite weapon combination is Graviton Beams and HCL/Lancer/Cutting Beam. This is only a late era design, but it is an amazing combination. The Graviton Beams are very powerful weapons in their own right, but then they also tracor the target and pull it centerline to be hit by sustained beam weapons. You can't beat this combo for dealing out massive damage in as short of intervals as possible. A Blazer with 2 Graviton Beams is one mean Cruiser.

My favorite weapons are Pulse Phasers and Anti-Matter Cannons on a very fast, maneuverable ship. The AI Command Section is truely awesome and winds up on most of my ships once I have it. I design three types of Cruisers and these "Fast Cruisers" are my favorite.

Fast Cruiser = Very fast, very maneuverable. AI Command/Armor usually makes this ship for most races, Hammerhead/Strafe (for Tarkas) earlier. This ship should have all turreted weapons and never need to point at anything to shoot at it. This is the squadron I manually control and carefully maneuver, while I generally only give fleet commands to the others. Even with my love of Graviton Beams, Meson Beams are better for these ships. They have longer range and you don't want these ships tractoring anything and impeding their movement.

Strike Cruiser = Designed to hit targets bigger than itself, DN's/Bases/Menace. Slow, low maneuverablity. Blazers can be used in this role, but I prefer BB or Assault/Barrage with most races... unless I have Graviton Beams:-) The ultimate Strike Cruisers in SOTS, as I employ them anyway, are either the Blazer w/Graviton Beams or an Impactor Cruiser with AI Command section.

Heavy Cruiser = The backbone of the fleet. A well rounded design with moderate speed/maneuverability. Armed with both heavy guns and some type of "primary weapon" such as torpedo, HCL, or missiles (4-6 launchers). It has enough PD to provide for it's own defense, and act as the fleet's PD against all but concentrated seeking weapon threats. The only CA early on, later in the game these are the cruisers in the garrison fleets while the Fast and Strike Cruisers are on the attack. The Fast Cruiser basically gives up the primary weapons for speed and maneuverablity.

I like Cruisers a lot in this game. Even when going up against DNs my the only DN in my fleets is the command ship. I like using Cruisers and Destroyers. I use the flagship to lead my lone "DN fleet" to "throw weight in" if I really want to smash something. I have more fun with ships designed to work well on AI control using fleet commands while I micro my beloved Fast Cruisers around the fight creating oportunities for my "standoff" CA's and Destroyers.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:45 pm

nice post...Salutes the SFB vet. Welcome to the boards :thumbsup:

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:10 am

Hm ... you like fast cruisers? Did you ever used the tarkasian Carrier DN? Hunters (AM in particular) are bad-ass fast ships, also very nimble. No heavy weaponry possible, though.

Kavik Kang

Post by Kavik Kang » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Funny you should mention that. I am playing a Tarkas game right now, using them for the first time because I noticed that they were very fast when fighting against them. Sure enough, Tarkas are my favorite race so far. But I've only played each race once, except Zuul, which will be my next game. I'm really just learning this, but it is so heavily influenced by SFB (as many space combat games, like MOO, are), and I was such a huge SFB junkie for so many years, that I already understand it very well. I haven't been impressed by carriers so far, but if it is the Tarkas that use these "Riders" I keep seeing mention of... I am probably Tarkas for life in this game. Most posts here seem to underestimate the value of destroyers in the DN era (and the value of satelite bases), I like having around 6 destroyers in the fight. There is nothing better than seeing a DN unload everything on a speeding shielded destroyer and do no siginificant damage, or even if it blows it up... that was still major overkill and a lot of wasted firepower. A DD's job in the DN era is to get shot at:-)

I wasn't even going to research the DN drone tech, but now I definately will.

Kavik Kang

Post by Kavik Kang » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Mecron... I used to design games, actually. I was also SFB Staff in a different life;-) I have a design doc that I wrote in 1998 that, based on SOTS, I think you would be fascinated by. We think a lot alike, I even had a weapon I called "Thumpers" that were just the opposite of your Thumpers (mine created a small temporary gravity well). SFB vets think alike, it seems. It's been made public before so there are no legal issues. I'll e-mail it too you if you'd like to see it. The similarities between it and SOTS are just shocking, even though mine was an action game. You'd be amazed, haha.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Tarkas have a focus on cruisers overall, they have really good ones. [IIRC humans have cheaper Dreads for example]

Oh and gravity mines exist .. evil, cruel weapons.

PS: Whats SFB? I don't get it ;)

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Kavik Kang wrote:...I even had a weapon I called "Thumpers" that were just the opposite of your Thumpers (mine created a small temporary gravity well).

You might want to look in the direction of Complex Ordnance Launcher with Tarpit, Grav.Mine or Implosion Mine Crackers. :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Kav, great to have you aboard :thumbsup: My first attempt at programming a game was trying to make a home SFB on the Atari ST. :lol:

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:33 pm

If you love fast ships, thumpers, and COLs, then try Morrigi! :twisted:
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Kavik Kang

Post by Kavik Kang » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Star Fleet Battles (SFB) is the game that SOTS, MOO, and most space games are based on. Just like you might call almost any RPG "a D&D game", you might call almost any space combat game "an SFB game". SOTS and MOO in particular heavily follow SFB, it's technology, and particularly the "combat environment" that exists. SFB is a game from a different era. The only people who play SFB today are 40-year-old men and their children who they taught it too. It's far too large and complex for today's kids to even consider attempting to play it.

Any time an SFB vet hears someone call themselves "a hardcore gamer"... all we can do is silently smile and let them be happy in their delusion:-)

Great work on SOTS, Mecron, it's better than MOO.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Red Spot

Post by Red Spot » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Not that good of a design, but pure fun when 4 of them "play ball" with a DN :D
Follow the link for a good look: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57892 ... 5FEAE9874/

S.K. Ren

Post by S.K. Ren » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 pm

I usually stick with specialized ships to determine my weapon layouts. Especially with Morrigi & Liir I almost always get Phasers as my first Fusion weapon. Accurate, decent damage and will last me for quite a while is I use my ships efficiently. I have two specialty ships that I'm particularly fond of in late game that use a specific combo of weapons. One is a clean planet killer, a AI Command/War DN filled with Heavy Emitters and the other is an Anti DN build that depending on your luck is OP or just good: an AI Command/Impactor(w/ or w/o Neutronium Rounds) with (Pulsed)Gravy Beams or Tractor Beams. I often struggle with which fission era weapons to get though. If Im facing Zuul I usually rush PD and get UV lasers or better missiles, against anything else I get Torps/UV Lasers and Fire Control. If Im not warring super early I actually just rush for Crusiers and Biomes letting the CRs pick up the slack for my lack of tech and rush for Phasers/Fusion Plasma weapons as soon as Fusion finishes.

SakuyaFM

Post by SakuyaFM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 pm

I'll have to say that for fast turning ships, Heavy Beams are definitely the best thing. Morrigi/Liir ships with these just destroy everything. Of course, it's good to compliment them with faster firing weapons. I usually slap torps/HAC/Meson Beams and Phasers/Chakkars. Small mounts are riddled with Phaser PD/Pulsed Phasers.

I'm thinking heavy turreted weapons on Human ships. I don't think they could turn as fast as Liir/Mori.
"Now... witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station!" - The Emperor, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Return to “The Weapons”