Mass Shotgun

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Profound_Darkness

Mass Shotgun

Post by Profound_Darkness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:33 am

Wow!

I tried it out for once (1.7.2) Me thinks it might be bugged.

The range rating on it is the same as stormers however it's range is about 2x stormer range. Not saying much btw with how short ranged stormers are...

I paired mass shotgun with stormers because the range seemed comparable in design. Might work better with AP mass drivers.

If they aren't bugged, they are pretty effective. They certainly aren't an 'I win button' but against CRs they are OK (mostly for the push on enemy ships). Against destroyers I would imagine they are quite deadly.

:)
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

fiendishrabbit

Re: Mass Shotgun

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

The Shotgun driver is about equivalent in range to AP mass drivers (and do have about twice the range of stormers).
Note though that due to spread, inaccuracy and a slight damage reduction they're much more effective a bit closer up than that.

I don't know why some of the SOTS community diss Shotgun drivers though. They felt rather effective.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 pm

They are certainly nice for mixing up enemy formations.

They aren't half bad against an enemy with light armor, unlike stormers that are only really good against unarmored opponents.

I am finding that I like to hold fire on the shotgun until the enemy is just about in stormer range and then release fire.

Alternately I will hit a ship I would rather not get close with the initial salvos and then target a ship I want dead shortly after.

Right now I am still playing with it on broadside Hiver war cruisers (now with AI command). :)

It's pretty bad when the enemy crosses the T or otherwise gets ships in a position where I have allied ships along the gun ark. I have blown up more of my own ships than the enemy has blown up mine (barely). :lol:
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

tericc

Post by tericc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:30 am

I find them effective to equip slow boats with them when up against high maneuvering ships of the fish's as an example.
If anything they do provide some decent attrition

morganz

Post by morganz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:05 am

Mass shotgun is a deadly weapon, but you can use as an alternative weapon for sword.

Return to “The Weapons”