Heavy Anti Matter Cannons vs Beams?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
nickersonm

Re: Heavy Anti Matter Cannons vs Beams?

Post by nickersonm » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 pm

We don't mind thread necros :). It's better than a bunch of identical threads!

I generally prefer the Heavy Cannon line for it's extreme range. About the only time I'll prefer beams is when I'm fighting Liir - they can often dodge cannon shots. For straight DPS, HFC gets 93 dps at optimal range, which is a distant 1100, and 45 dps at extreme range, which is an impressive 1600. Heavy plasma is a bit less impressive at 56 and 28 dps in the respective ranges, which are slightly less. All cannons get very slightly less dps at short range than at extreme, but it's not a large difference.

Neutron cannons are 50 dps up to 700 range, and positrons are 70 dps up to 800 range. So both are better than the respective cannons at short range, but their maximums are quite short - less than heavy cannon optimal!

- nickersonm

WarpObscura

Post by WarpObscura » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm looking more for use on agile and fast brawler/knife-fighter vessels like Hunters or Spinal DEs, so range isn't too much a concern. Unless any of the other large mount weapons might be better?

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:05 am

Chakrams work very well against heavy armored ships (Quark at least).
Don't bother with them if using Magno or less.
Putting one or two heavy drivers in your mix (AP HD works well too), upgraded with Neutronium rounds and Acceleration Amplificator, may be useful to mess up enemy formation and thus reducing the firepower of enemy fleet by sending far away some of its ships.

Return to “The Weapons”