What is the level of firepower for SotS?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
DervMan

Re: What is the level of firepower for SotS?

Post by DervMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Enjelus wrote:I've always been of the opinion that sots ships were far to small to be realistic interstellar warship representations.

It also seems unrealistic that a submarine can navigate around the world and remain underwater for months at a time... It isn't especially comfortable (at first, but you get used to it)... ;)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 pm

lol well said

Enjelus

Post by Enjelus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:23 pm

DervMan wrote:
Enjelus wrote:I've always been of the opinion that sots ships were far to small to be realistic interstellar warship representations.

It also seems unrealistic that a submarine can navigate around the world and remain underwater for months at a time... It isn't especially comfortable (at first, but you get used to it)... ;)

And the Los Angeles, Seawolf and Virginia class attack subs are all bigger than a SolForce cruiser.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

The original game is more World War 1 than Cold War. As I'm Scottish (British) I have a better understanding of Royal Navy boats rather than USN boats so I'll use ;) the first British submarine to be put into service, the Holland, which was just 20 metres long. That's shorter than SotS Prime Destroyers and has about half the crew (human crews). It was launched in secret in 1901.

And sure, it couldn't travel for years at a time without refueling, but it used a petrol engine, rather than a Fission reactor. I believe we can allow the Devs certain... allowances if you will... as by the SotS time, nuclear reactors will be more refined to current nuclear reactors, as current petrol engines are to 1900s petrol engines. If you see what I mean.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:31 am

I see the OMGreallybigshipzo'doooooooooooooooooooom Mk. 9000's of sci-fi as being unrealistic. The amount of energy required to get those things to MOVE at all is probably more than we could realisticly produce within a few hundred years. Most sci-fi is hand-waved into silly rather than realistic territory. SotS tends more towards the latter, which is quite fun.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Valeson

Post by Valeson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 pm

I do agree with that to a degree, in regards to the things like the Enchanach drive, etc. However, considering certain relativistic physics, look at David Weber's Honorverse and In Fury Born. In the former, a combination of Alcubierre and gravity manipulation similar to Morrigi usage, and little issue with inertia and acceleration compared to normal reaction drives. And realistic ship sizes for that matter. In In Fury Born, singularity drives, which follow laws of physics quite nicely if you can manage to produce the singularity, work very nicely as well, with very little issues with acceleration and inertia compared to normal reaction drives. And realistic ship sizes. Some science fiction has gone into the realms of the ridiculous and the near-magic. Some hasn't. And I love the ones that don't.

Edit: Back to the question of the page, I always assumed firepower in SotS1 would be roughly equivalent to the Honorverse or Freespace weapons technology plus some in terms of damage, although most definitely not range in comparison to Honorverse. Depending on the weapon. By that I mean missiles. :| Oh well. Can't have everything.

Return to “The Weapons”