Inertial Cannon - Acceleration or Top Speed?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mesaia

Inertial Cannon - Acceleration or Top Speed?

Post by Mesaia » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:22 am

I wonder if you guys who have made a study of the GOB and other files knows whether the Inertial Cannons affect a vessels' Top Speed or their Acceleration/Thrust?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Inertial Cannon - Acceleration or Top Speed?

Post by ZedF » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:25 pm

The gob won't tell you, but experimentation will. ;) Go try them out, it's pretty obvious what their effect is.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Yuji

Post by Yuji » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 am

Never get to have Inertia cannon in all of my games...

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:33 am

From my experimentation it doesn't actually slow them down like everything I've ever read about them suggests other than the first half of their tooltip (which is undermined by the second half), it just completely destroys their acceleration. They'll continue drifting, but under decent inertial fire they are basically free-floating and have almost no acceleration/deceleration/turning.

I absolutely love these weapons, since they induce chaos and completely destroy any semblance of formation or tactical maneuvering the other person might have. Particularly good against human players who use normal stance, and extremely good against blazers/strafe/etc to keep them from tracking targets.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 am

Cool! just the information I was looking for! Thanks!

Yuji

Post by Yuji » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Interesting weapon indeed, but seriously, I never had a change to get em :(. Tried researching deflectors, and those electric torpedoes, still can't get em, played as Tarkas and also tried to get them as Morrigi, never got em :| .

S0ny B1ack

Post by S0ny B1ack » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Yuji wrote:Interesting weapon indeed, but seriously, I never had a change to get em :(. Tried researching deflectors, and those electric torpedoes, still can't get em, played as Tarkas and also tried to get them as Morrigi, never got em :| .

I got them in all my Liir games (always from the E-M pulsar tech eventhough they have a smaller chance than Morrigi)...

Yuji

Post by Yuji » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:25 am

That's strange :x .

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Shouldn't be too strange. All the pre-req techs are very, very Liir friendly, and the Liir get a decent shot at the link from EM Pulsars to the inertial cannon too. I think the statistic was a 80% chance for the Liir to get all the prerequisite techs and get EM link OR the disrupter shield link? The odds are kind of low for all the non-super techy races, actually, with the Tarka taking the biggest lead with about a 40% chance. Still, it's always random, and one game three human factions could get them and three Morrigi and a Liir could miss them...
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Yuji

Post by Yuji » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Oh my god...

GoboMan

Post by GoboMan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Crazie_Guy wrote:From my experimentation it doesn't actually slow them down like everything I've ever read about them suggests other than the first half of their tooltip (which is undermined by the second half), it just completely destroys their acceleration. They'll continue drifting, but under decent inertial fire they are basically free-floating and have almost no acceleration/deceleration/turning.

I absolutely love these weapons, since they induce chaos and completely destroy any semblance of formation or tactical maneuvering the other person might have. Particularly good against human players who use normal stance, and extremely good against blazers/strafe/etc to keep them from tracking targets.

I just knew there had to be some tactical reason to have it. In the past, I've relied on moving up the tree in direct damage. My current game (as Liir) offers the chance to research it. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Tomyja

Post by Tomyja » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:09 pm

In my early games (playing as humans), I had Tarkas turn on me without any reason (allied and then war). While mighty tarka destroyed all my dreads, and having low on credits, I used Few cruisers armed with PD, Inertial Cannons and Heavy Inertial Cannons and large ammount of DE with war section armed with Inertial cannons. Well... Tarkas pured in and had their easiest victory for whole war thanks to their heavily armed DN and multiple CR. And started to move to next world where my next CR were waiting with chakram weaponizing. And so on, so on, until I'll died. Remember to back them up with something or they are as good as dead. I didn't even had a change to observe their effect couse I didn't have enough armor on my ships while facing tarkan heavy fusion cannons (they might been allso low on funds). The rather bizarre thing is that I have played as human 11 times and in 8 of them I have gained an oppoturnity to research Inertial cannon. Same for other races Zuul 0/3 (first possibilities to research inertial cannon, second how many times played), Liir 2/5, Morrigi 1/6, and hiver 0/8. (I don't play as tarka)

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 am

Yea, you definitely need to use a real weapon alongside them if you want to do any damage. Luckily you don't need many of them to throw enemy maneuvering out of whack, on a cruiser strikeforce I might use just 2 mediums per ship or so. Remember to use them with a purpose. Here's an idea, try using them in rear facing guns with disruptor/deflector ships so anything that manages to fly behind you will just keep drifting by.

I remember using them on Morrigi Shield Destroyer swarms. Pulsed phasers in small, Antimatter Cannon in the forward medium turret, and an inertial cannon in the ass gun (AM engines only). The main weapons give them plenty of kick and in auto stance there are enough pointing every which way to keep most ships adrift with the rear cannons. When DNs showed up I was able to make short work of them thanks to the AIs patented retard charge towards the planet every single battle. Just lined up my DEs in two lines beside their trajectory to my planet with inertial cannons facing them, and they were unable to stop. Inertial cannons can actually be a lot more reliable for this than pulsars.
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Hmm. You know.

Hiver fleet (and their "chargy nature")
Inertial cannons
Planet

I'll have to try that out at some point and see if it works.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:22 pm

I've had great defensive use with them against charging Tarka.

Return to “The Weapons”