Sniper Canons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
handsome pete

Sniper Canons

Post by handsome pete » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 am

When do you use sniper canons?

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Sniper Canons

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:40 am

Usually when I am dealing with someone using emitters or missles and I am stayin ballistic.

evil713

Post by evil713 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 am

do sniper cannons have any late game value?

ps: i find i only get attacked by specters when i go pure balistic tree. why is that?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:48 am

evil713 wrote:do sniper cannons have any late game value?

Depends on what you mean with "late game". It has some value for fusion age raiding if you have superior mobility and medium/small turrets with good arcs.

It has the best range barring missiles, torpedoes, impactors and heavy energy cannons.
You figure out the tactical utility of that. :twisted:

P.S. ...and drones ofcourse.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 am

If I am facing an enemy who isn't using a boatload of missiles (zuul) I tend to keep snipers around on my DNs, particularly if I rolled phaser PD as just a couple of well placed mounts of those are enough to fend off planetary defense missiles (and missile sats). It's also nice when combined with some other types of kinetic weapons... There have been a few times where my barrage of sniper cannon fire was enough to deflect an enemy DN's blast of blaser/battle bridge from landing on target (NOTE: that was a lot of fire and a small deflection).

Mostly I use them as Hivers on Strafe section (DEs) or some other races (Hivers included) for broadsides (DE and CR).

As for specters, I try to keep a few energy weapons on any general defense fleet (almost exclusively DE class). Sucks when an enemy goes for early deflectors and your only (deployed) toy are sniper cannons.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

RELee

Post by RELee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm

handsome pete wrote:When do you use sniper canons?

When I'm using the strafe section. :bangdesk:

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:53 pm

RELee wrote:

I've always been of the contrary position in this. The alpha/dps of sniper cannons is hardly enough to settle things decisively on the first pass. As such their advantage lies in range and maintaining that range. Thus, snipercannons should work better on ships that have a good speed and turrets that can be aimed significantly towards the rear. Strafe is neither.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

I like sniper cannons on my sat rings so I can have more lead flying at my enemies from a longer range than just the normal missile spam... ;)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:22 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:
RELee wrote:

I've always been of the contrary position in this. The alpha/dps of sniper cannons is hardly enough to settle things decisively on the first pass. As such their advantage lies in range and maintaining that range. Thus, snipercannons should work better on ships that have a good speed and turrets that can be aimed significantly towards the rear. Strafe is neither.

Only matters if you are intending to kite or make battle passes (hopefully you will not be furballing with strafe or snipers anyway.) But if your plan for your sniper cannon ship is standoff fire support while something else takes point, strafe + snipers could work just fine.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

RELee

Post by RELee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 pm

I hate explaining my sense of humor. Unfortunately, it just doesn't translate well to the internet.

Handsome Pete started two threads.

He asked if we use the strafe section, then he asked when do we use Sniper Cannon. At least that's the order I read them.

So ...

I know, I know. If you have to explain them, they ain't funny.

Moving on... 8)

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm

ZedF wrote:Only matters if you are intending to kite or make battle passes (hopefully you will not be furballing with strafe or snipers anyway.) But if your plan for your sniper cannon ship is standoff fire support while something else takes point, strafe + snipers could work just fine.

I just don't see the point of that. Snipercannons don't have sufficient oomph (unlike torps and railcannons) to warrant inclusion if you're going to have something close up for them to shoot at anyway. And strafe+snipercannons implies that it's not just a supporting weapon but the main method of offense.

Well maybe if you were facing enemies with dedicated anti-destroyer weapons and just couldn't afford to produce more resilient brawlers. Or maybe as a way of making reinforcements immediately useful while maintaining limited CnC exposure. But still.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:11 am

I'm thinking sniper cannons as a support weapon in the DD era here, since the damage output of snipers starts to quickly fade compared to CA weapons and since you'll tend to find a relatively larger proportion of light mount firepower on DDs. Sniper/strafe as support doesn't sound so bad when your best close weapon so far is gauss or green lasers... ;)

Certainly it's not the only way you could use the snipers in that case, but I cansee someone giving it a whirl and finding it to their liking. :thumbsup:
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 am

Small turrets on light defense platforms. Better range than lasers.

BeardyDan

Post by BeardyDan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 am

Biggest problem I have with the snipers is they will try to shoot incoming missiles. Of course by the time the turret has aligned to the right trajectory the missiles are in the snipers -ve chance to hit range. :x

Early game a Hiver DE strafe section with six, or a Tarkan with EIGHT can be very effective.
Also they out range all but the torpedo's on the derelicts & have good accuracy at that range.
Lt. Bourne: Sir, sentries report no more Zuul contacts. All of them gone. It's a miracle.
Cap. Chard: If it's a miracle, Lieutenant, it's a long barrel Impactor with Neutronium rounds miracle.
Lt. Bourne: And Phasers, sir, with some guts behind them.

MysteryX

Post by MysteryX » Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 pm

LD platforms with snipers can very easily take down VN drones. The damage isn't great but ROF is good for a ranged weapon. With an orbiting platform, damage potential is more about number of opportunities to actually shoot something over the course of the battle. With snipers opportunities are pretty constant as long as the planet isn't in the way. I tend to put snipers on LDs. larger platforms sometimes get point defense if early game missilles have been a problem but I usually favor range on all defense platforms.

Return to “The Weapons”