Sniper Canons

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
S.K. Ren

Re: Sniper Canons

Post by S.K. Ren » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:08 am

I've recently been playing with a Cruiser design as Hiver that utilizes Sniper Cannons. Fire Control(If you managed to roll it) or AI Command + Point Defense (18 small guns!!) + whatever engine you have. The idea is you only use at most 3 of the PD slots for actual PD and fill the rest with sniper cannons. You now have a ship with a 360 degree firing radius :D Surprisingly it works fairly well at demolishing just about anything. You have near constant stream of shots pelting whatever you are pointing the ship at. So far the best strategy I have found is to just park them in the middle of the enemy's own crusiers and then manually aim for the front or rear of the enemy ship to keep them spinning and unable to aim at you.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 am

I've done this too, it's pretty fun. With fire control it even manages to be somewhat useful against drones at a much longer range than gauss PD would grant, though I had a little of that thrown on there as well.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:06 pm

I've never put Snipers onto my Dreadnoughts... but I'm going to try now... ;)

I've used them with respectable results on my CnC ships where I've wanted them to contribute to the battle but not to be in the thick of it and the enemy has decent point defence.

drivebymessiah

Post by drivebymessiah » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 am

Do sniper cannons improve with Neutronium Rounds?

Notwithstanding, when utilizing a larger mount based around long range, like a blazer section, placing sniper cannon in small mounts instead of something like, UV lasers (assuming point-defense requirements are meant) will squeek out a bit more damage when capitalizing on max-range firing.

Small mounts don't account for a whole lot of combat damage once larger mount weapons and specialized mount weapons come on the scene. Utilizing a weapon that has effectiveness at the ships general pursuit range tends to squeak out a little more damage over the course of a battle.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:05 am

I tried Sniper Cannon in some battle. It is weak. Average damage from other weapon type is several time 10k, Sniper Cannon damage is several time 1k.
I think is too weak for main battle warship.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:30 pm

They tend to lose a lot of their usefulness when the fleets change from DE-based to CR-based.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 pm

It's DPS (with VRF) is between those of a red and a green laser. It has other strengths of course, but that's still very weak...

The Vahl

Post by The Vahl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 am

I have found sniper cannons excellent in the early to mid game. I utilize them on my LD Plats and my MD Plats, any of my "non-combat" ships that might find themselves in battle (ER, Tanker, Refinery, etc), especially on the drive section rear arc. Let's you snipe at the enemy as you are running away. Finally, I have designed a Pulsed Fission ER DE with Strafe that utilizes 9 sniper cannons (I am Tarka), works great behind the main battle line as supporting "artillery". I have had success all the way up to CR/Fusion, but much past the initial Fusion techs it starts to wane.
"Var'kona, the Hiver have arrived at the colony. We should be able to repel their fleet easi...(static)."

linkxsc

Post by linkxsc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 am

Human Destroyers
Strafe-SniperCannon
Spinalmount-Heavy Driver/AP

Also have some that are armors with firecontrol commands, rocking apdrivers/snipercannons (apdrivers for longer range)

Wound up in match where early liir got improved reflective coat, but seemed to want to use nothing but emitters, even on their CRs. well these things can spread out and avoid chaining the emitters, and are great at destroying engine sections and just watching crippled ships float by.
Actually have been using these to cripple 3-4 of the CRs in each of their fleets, then ganging up on the 1-2 fresh ones that show up. Also can usually send 1 of them off and watch it kill off all the defense sats with only need of a nearby PD ship.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:21 am

ZedF wrote:I'm thinking sniper cannons as a support weapon in the DD era here, since the damage output of snipers starts to quickly fade compared to CA weapons and since you'll tend to find a relatively larger proportion of light mount firepower on DDs.

Tried this out here. Worked pretty well, even into the early cruiser era!
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Markkyss

Post by Markkyss » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

sniper cannon does so little damage when its pigeonholed into a small mount and quickly becomes useless as the game goes on. it should really have heavier turret options, including an AP version, so this weapon has some longevity into the mid game.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

AP Gauss/MD/HD are effectively the replacement for sniper cannons - they're intended to be an early game range ballistic weapon, and giving someone the range of sniper cannons with armor piercing and higher damage would create a monster. Of course, railguns are the ultimate replacement.

Return to “The Weapons”