Double and Triple Weapon Turrets?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Umbral Reaver

Double and Triple Weapon Turrets?

Post by Umbral Reaver » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 am

Are there any small or medium weapons that are especially good packed into bigger turrets? Or are double/triple weapons mostly a stopgap until you research something bigger to fit in there?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Double and Triple Weapon Turrets?

Post by ZedF » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Generally, bigger guns are more powerful than multiple smaller guns. However, in case you are bombarding planets, they also tend to do more damage to the environment.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Using smaller guns in larger turrets is highly situational. Twin Phasers can be better than some of the lower-tech large beams, if your tech tree randomized to deny you the good large beams. Other uses would be where you can maintain and exploit a range advantage and don't want to use missiles; Sniper or Pulse Phasers do well there. Accuracy would be another issue. If your primary target is DEs, then twin pulse-lasers may deliver hits more reliably than Mass Drivers or Plasma Cannons.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 pm

True but ...

Does the worse tracking performance of medium (and large) turrets offset this vs DDs? I guess not but it does make a medium turret housing two small weapons worse than two small turrets.

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:39 pm

In practice, I've found that medium turrets can track DE-DE or CR-DE combat passes just fine. They have trouble with drones, including Swarm. Even large turrets are okay, as using beams against DEs is a common choice because of the supurb accuracy. If I have early CRs facing DEs, I'd likely put twin UV in the medium and Particle in the large turrets. For the long-range options, tracking speed is not much of a concern.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:22 am

Dual-Chakkars are nice early on or if you botch your rolls on heavy energy cannons or advanced particle beams. It tends to outpreforms chakrams out to 750 units and vastly outpreforms heavy fusion cannons at sub-650 (although the reverse is true in the 650+ band).
Against cruisers (and larger) vessels with some armor it tends to outpreform positron beams, but the reverse is true against DEs.

Overall the Dual chakkar measures up well against all pre-antimatter weapons, but it's no match compared to large antimatter age weapons (HACs, Meson beams etc)
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Loading laser turrets for offensive purposes not that much later ingame becames a bit useless when the AI starts to use Reflective Coating, I'd say...
One vision, one purpose: Peace through POWER!

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Depends on the type of laser used... pulse phasers rarely get deflected even with imp. reflective. If you got shafted in the larger weapon types, it can make sense.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:Depends on the type of laser used... pulse phasers rarely get deflected even with imp. reflective. If you got shafted in the larger weapon types, it can make sense.

Sniping off Projector turrets. 8)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Was goofing around with some high end Liir today in a test game, just for giggles. Liir cruiser strikeforces with all pulse phasers including in large turrets because that was the only AM-capable gun I had gotten at that point in the game. Seeing storms of yellow tracers all converging on some hapless target is certainly cool-looking, and it seemed fairly effective too! Of course, it's hard to be sure exactly how it compared to other possible options, but Mk4 shields with magnifiers and quantum capacitors has this tendency to make almost anything better. :mrgreen:

'Twas fun; using something other than normal stance actually works well with Liir, and even the 'engage at long range' stance works as advertised a good chunk of the time with them. 8)

(Not always mind you -- sometimes it still wants to put my ships right in the enemy's face, even when there's only one enemy. Also sometimes it seems to flake out in other ways. Sometimes giving them a stop order and then reissuing the command will sort things out tho.)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “The Weapons”