Drones practical deployment

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mr.Weasel

Drones practical deployment

Post by Mr.Weasel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:14 am

I am curious...if your enemy gets point defense guns and starts fielding them regularly, does that basically make your drones obsolete?
I usually end up having a few drone ships left over from my early game as the Morrigi, and I find that I am having trouble finding practical uses for them due to the fact that the drones just pop. That...or are there some upgrades I have not hit that would help in that regard...I mean other than advanced drones.

That and any good ideas for what to use drones effectively for would be welcome.
A wild weasel has appeared.

Zalzidrax

Re: Drones practical deployment

Post by Zalzidrax » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 am

If the enemy just has basic PD, once you get polysilicates and reflective coating then drones remain decently effective. Throwing in a few missiles, torps, and mines will give the PD more distractions, and keep drones from getting hit as much, too. But phaser PD usually spells the end of drone effectiveness, unless you give heavy drones long range weapons (chakkars, maybe armor piercing medium drivers?) and micromanage them by ordering them to dock before they get too close and then reordering an attack to keep them firing at range. I've not personally tried that strategy myself, though.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:27 am

Also: Drones are easily replaces (repair ships are enough). If you get some spare carriers, you can keep you numbers high, a few lost drones are no problem ;)

And spam them to death, like over 100 Drones - to much for most PD :D

Mr.Weasel

Post by Mr.Weasel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Hmm, I have never actually considered mass drone deployment yet. I usually just throw two or three in with my fleet for fire support. I will try that out later against the computer, just make a slew of drone ships and throw them at something and see what happens. Sounds like fun.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:57 pm

My late game morrigi drone approach was:

A flagship + 2 drone DNs and beside that only drone DEs. The advantage of the latter is, if they lose even a single drone I can simply replace them. On a DN its harder: Will you replace them after they lost 6 Drones? 12?

The all other weapons are multi-Warheads, missiles, torps - everthin that helps ;)

If the enemy uses Interceptors you should use some swarm drones with PD.

Even en masse drones are not a uber-heavy weapon plattform, but it looks ... great to see 236 Phasers fire at the same target at the same time :D

Mr.Weasel

Post by Mr.Weasel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 am

I just tried a set up similar to what you said with the dreadnoughts, and I must say it worked very nicely. Loaded up some advanced drones with stormers and I found that it really ripped up my Zuul opponent nicely (oh them and their reflective armor)...I did this as Tarkas on a 50 star map with a Zuul and Morrigi to go against. I sorta poked the Morrigi early on and screwed up their colony development...a bad idea in retrospect cause it allowed the Zuul to overrun the area. However I did manage to pull things together, even after a peacekeeper attack and I won my very first match...yay.

Ironic that I did best as the Tarkas, I don't like them as much as some other races.

Return to “The Weapons”