Node what I mean?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Dr. Weird

Node what I mean?

Post by Dr. Weird » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Node missles. Anyone use these extensively? They potentially have a nice shock & awe effect, especially in multiplayer, but it seems to be a one trick pony. After that first attack your opponent is likely to tighten up his antimissle defenses. So it seems a lot of research for a limited weapon. I understand that as designed, no one weapon is a super-weapon, per se, but I'm wondering how much other players use node missles & in what situations. Your mileage may vary, but its seems you're better off putting the money & research into getting more fusion cruisers out faster.
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Node what I mean?

Post by Mecron » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 pm

Go ask the nice Lucy the Fox who helped interview me the other day...she lives by em :thumbsup:

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:12 am

Cool. :) I thought I had seen all your recent interviews-- has this one been posted?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:48 pm

go to the news section :thumbsup:

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Good interview (and nice plug for it...). Its defintiely worth the listen; lines up a lot of the hints & explanations you've given us so far into a nice package plus adds a couple more.

That said, it doens't add much to explaining the value of node missles. Lucy's approach was to "start a cold war" & use them in that fashion. I assume she means hoarding them & striking from a distance. Thats sort of the nature of node missles. But its also where I lose effectivenss with them as a player. I find that by the time you research & build 20 your opponent's probably teched to effective PD. Yes you can still catch him off balance on an unprepared world-- but its a LOT of tech & I/O to sink into that 'chance'. So that's why I was looking for ideas on how to better use 'em.
Last edited by Dr. Weird on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:47 pm

I haven't played Human enough to see getting and using them as preferable to other techs that seem better at the time. Of course, since I've never tried using them, I have no idea how effective they are, or even know how to use them...

Interestingly enough, I've never seen a Human AI player use them, either. Ever. Maybe they feel the same way. :|

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:38 am

She is on the boards, My good Doctor. Screw your courage to the hitching post and PM her about her ideas :thumbsup:

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:42 am

I've always preferred to hitch my courage to the... eh, I forget the rest.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:13 am

Sticking point, I believe is what you are looking for. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:28 pm

I've found node missiles are a situational weapon and are wonderful for area denial purposes. A small investment in a handful of missiles can do wonders against enemy worlds and ships. I use them in two front wars, Node missiles and limited investment in capital ships slowing one enemy, while I focus on the main front. Even if the missiles DON'T impact the planet, they force the enemy to bolster defenses at their planets, drawing away their front line combat strength either via actual ships or investment in sat rings.

Plus, as well as being an effective weapon, they're just wicked fun.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:27 pm

patton1942 wrote:Plus, as well as being an effective weapon, they're just wicked fun.

That seems to be the problem for me. Well, just pushed to get them in a game I started as Human for just that purpose. It was a low tech game (but low tech for all so that should be even). Immediately after I got node focusing & fusion I took a run at researching them. During the research the zuul had conveniently provided me a target by colonizing 2 turns striking distance from my frontline world. I try to push a little, don't get an early breakthrough, but also don't get an explosion or overbudget. I then pump out 10 of these babies, along with a DE cnc ship to allow my to deploy them all at once (in a staggered formation as well to avoid them hitting each other on launch). Just in time I send them of with 30 zuul cruisers in bound. Now the Ai has only 1 turn warning, so I figure I've got him-- only to find upon arriving in system & launching at the enemy planet, that the Ai has not only 10 sats total in orbit, but also 5 picket de's-- all of which are using interceptor missles! :x

The node missles stood no chance of reaching their target. Considering the amount of tech, I/O & time I put into the weapon, it was very disappointing. Where I'm going with this is perhaps (?) the tech investment is a bit high for a weapon that's one of the mroe situational in the game. I could've done a lot with the resources i used to produce these to stop those zuul cruisers, for example producing crusier of my own which could be used indefinitely (ie. not a one shot weapon).

I understand Patton's idea of using them as a stand-off in a 2 front war, conceptually-- but i can't seem to get them to work, or I'm not understanding the circumstances one should use them in... :(

LordD

Post by LordD » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Actually Node missiles were great anti dread weapons, I mean why go for the colony when you can do some damage to the fleet protecting the colony.

Also in small number Nodes missiles are ineffective, in bigger numbers their effectiveness increases, for a missile type I believe they have the highest HP meaning in large number there an increased chance of successful hits on the enemy ship.

However there are quite a few things that affect node missile strategy. Type of map, the war overall, economy. Basically there is no hard in fast rule for using these weapons.

But the only rule I have for Nodes is that it a numbers game. When people talk about a cold war situatio with Node missiles, they are not meaning you never attack , you will attack but it about having huge number of missiles and using it at the right time and place. The right time and place is up to you.

But various strategies I use, Node missiles assualt on every planet that will be attacked one turn before the fleet so as to weaken the defending forces. Surviving node missiles from the battle will go on to the next planet on as further harrassment.

100 node missiles =3-5 small poorly defended worlds being attacked (depending on time limit for battles).

Pour all your missiles into one planet, now what do you think the other players reaction would be if one heavily defended planet was attacked by 500-2000 node missiles, they would reinforce the planet in most cases, Making it easier to succeed somewhere else. Or you could use it to gather as much of his forces there at once so as to have an almighty battle.

Those are just strategies for invasions, can you imagine using nodes in a defense battle where in a few circumstances the enemies pd may already be overwhelmed.

Basically Node missiles will lose their effectiveness if you become predictabale in the usage of them. If the enemy is kept off balance by your use of them they are worth the money.
The empire of Lord D has arisen run or be destroyed.

Return to “The Weapons”