Slave Raiders

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mr.Weasel

Slave Raiders

Post by Mr.Weasel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:25 am

Been playing the Zuul alot as of late, and I am doing...decent with them, I got some of the basics down but one thing I can't really do right is slave raiding. I can never seem to get a decent plan worked out that results in a successful raid. Anyone have suggestions for fleet composition or designs or just anything to get a good raid done?

Early game ideas would be preferable, but anything works.
A wild weasel has appeared.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Slave Raiders

Post by ZedF » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:28 am

My strategy for early game slave raiding is mainly to use slave cruisers in place of assault shuttles for planetary bombardment, then colonize the world the slaves were living on, drop the slaves off on the colony the following turn, and push forward with my fleets to get more colonies and more slaves to dump on them. I don't try to farm slaves in the early game, as you really need a fair bit of xenotech to get a good return out of them and it's not worth the time and effort to try to farm them otherwise.

Late game slave raiding is another matter, but I generally prefer to win Zuul games before the late game has a chance to happen. Zuul and late game are usually not on speaking terms with one another. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:18 am

I'd have to concur. Push for cruisers to do your raiding with. The DE's don't return much for the investment-- which is to say you're likely to lose half of them in an engagement, either to picket ships or planetary missiles and they don't capture that many slaves.

Once you have the cruisers keep them in reserve-- i usually bring say 3 or so with a medium sized attack fleet. By this point your targets likely have some decent defenses, so you need that fleet to go in & clear the way. Once you've beaten down the colony defenses with it, you pick your most badly damaged ships, use the "return to the back line" command and have your scavenger-class CR's pop in right close to the planet do their thing. After which return them to your nearest colony.

Of course that's versus an AI, in a PvP match its gets much more nerve-racking for both sides.

I would not however, dump them back unto the same world if you colonise it, as the slave population is managed in relation to your imperial pop. You lose alot of slaves and thus I/O doing it that way, unless the target was another zuul (in which case they just become part of your population). Better to leave it if possible to become an indy world you can raid for more slaves at-will. Of course, if the enemy is on your doorstep, you could colonise it just as a step of sterilizing the world (abandoning it quickly thereafter before it negatively impacts your income). Either way, send the captured slaves to the nearest high industry world you have-- you're likely to keep the entire captured population alive that way ad get the most bang for your buck.

:twisted:
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:21 am

Taking time away from attacking planets to drop slaves off is rarely worth the results IMHO, at least in the early game. You're far better off pushing your momentum forward. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:39 am

I disagree. But i think its based on our game settings. I'm guessing based on your TARs that you start off with the bankroll to fund a major scouting expedition early on Zed. If you know where the majority of your opponents planets are, that's one thing. Then sure, press on, kill 'em all! But then again if you know where the majority of your opponents are, there's lots of approaches you can take.

For me I prefer minimal starting resources. As such, even by mid-cruiser age i haven't found many of my enemies' worlds as there wasn't the cash for a massive early scouting wave, to in turn build on scouting from there, etc. If you don't have clear, grouped targets (which is more likely the case, at least for me) its much better to maximize your raids effectiveness.
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:52 am

I don't necessarily start off with a large bankroll, no. In Fall of the Morrigi Empire, where I started as Zuul, I had a mere $100k at the start of the game, and a much smaller empire and economy than my rivals. But I do make scouting and expansion a priority and I don't play on very large maps. Running into enemies before cruisers is definitely typical.

Still, I figure if you can take slaves, you can take the world, and if you can take one world, you can take more than one world. So, I'd rather just kill my opposition and colonize those suckers, rather than trying to let my enemies limp on and recover just so I can try to farm slaves off them, or give up initiative to drop slaves off somewhere behind the lines when I am more than capable of pushing forward and taking more planets sooner. The goal after all is to win, and if you're Zuul you do it by wiping everyone else off the map. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Red Spot

Post by Red Spot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 am

ZedF, how do you set an AI to defensive, as you mention in the TAR you linked?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:22 am

Switch your player position to that empire on the game load screen and play for a turn as that empire. During that turn you can adjust the AI settings using the AI Policy option of circular button menu on the bottom right side of the screen (also where you go to save games, etc.) Make sure to end the turn before you save and load again as the empire you want to play.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Red Spot

Post by Red Spot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:03 am

Ah, ofcourse, so easy yet so illusive :D

Return to “The Weapons”