Liir ER Medium Mount at gamestart

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Maerlyn

Post by Maerlyn » Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

So, I am fairly new to this game and play Liir (in my second MP game against some friends) and I use ERs at the start of the game a lot, to

1. scout the map for possible colonizations
2. attack new colonies of my "friends" (we play maps with around ~15-18 planets per player)

so i wonder, what weapons should i put in this tasty medium mount slot? i am even willing to spend a tiny amount into weapons ressearch early on in order to win this crucial scout battles.

should i stick with standard missiles? they dont do any damage it seems. and upgrading to a shaped warhead, while needing no retrofit and even working for all my ERs already out there, seems like an utter waste because they still dont do much damage it seems.

plasma canons dont seem tasty neither for the buck, and mass drivers, while adding a lot of punch, seem worthless later on because liir suck wich ballistic weapons.

i was thinking about getting green lasers fast and mounting two of them in there, but on the other hand, is this really getting me anywhere? i mean, is it even worth it? do ERs with green laser do that much better than Ers with red laser?

any comments would be appreciated, as would be a repost of these "SotS colony growth spreadsheet version 0.9.zip" that got deleted from the server.

thanx a lot
and, ahm, nice to be here 8)

Maerlyn

Warcat

Re: Liir ER Medium Mount at gamestart

Post by Warcat » Tue May 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Maerlyn, welcome to the forum.

With a single ER or even a couple of them, only fledging colonies can be destroyed, and weapons aren't an issue.
Even standard red laser, or gauss cannons, on every mount can wipe out a newly founded colony.

As Liir, energy weapons should be the right choice, due to their higher chances of getting high end toys, so laser and energy cannons are good, as a rule of thumb. But Mass Drivers boost your HP and are a solid and cheap medium weapon in early game. If I were you, I would go with lasers and missiles in the early stages

And for the choice about red or green laser I would recommend you to test them in game.
You'll see what weapon should be mounted on a warship when available.

[spoiler]
Green laser are far better, thank to their better accuracy and range
[/spoiler]

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I think Missile too expensive for Scout. Scout cost close to 15k. Missile cost 3k.

Scout need scout. You need lot of Scout fast. No time to research better weapon for them. Use what you have. I use Red Laser. Work better with Random Encounters.
If you think you fight friend more, use Gauss Driver. More damage, and if bullet hit, it push them away.
But Liir ship are slow. If friend fight at range with Red Laser, you can not catch them. If they fight close, you can not escape them. :( You need to fight with better tech. Liir very good at that. :)

To learn more game mechanic play more single-player game. Will help you chose research technology better. Will not help you fight your friend. AI not good at fight.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Now I haven't tried this yet, but against good human players it would seem that it would be best to mount a missile there, and send ER's in pairs, because:
- If you don't put a missile there, but have firepower superiority on them, they will just ignore your ships since fission liir are so slow.
- If you put a missile but only send one ER, they will just close range and easily kill your ER since missiles have low DPS and liir ships are already weak without even wasting 2 small guns on the missile.

After that, red lasers or gauss is probably personal taste, maybe except against Zuul : don't expect to be able to kill a Rip Bore in 4 minutes with red lasers.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:10 am

Silly, if you're using scouts to kill other scouts as Liir, you do it in SPACE. If the other humans brought guns to a missile fight, then all you have to do is kite them. Even if they did bring missiles your ships will probably survive with missiles longer than if you try to close the gap and fight up close with the Liir.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:15 am

Except that in my experience Liir ships are NOT faster in tactical in deep space.

Maerlyn

Post by Maerlyn » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 am

BlueTemplar wrote:Except that in my experience Liir ships are NOT faster in tactical in deep space.

They are not? Whats it with all this "gravity wells disturb the Liir drive" bullshit then?

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:46 pm

It does work in strategic, as you can clearly see, but I haven't noticed a speed improvement in tactical. Or maybe it's just small, or I wasn't paying enough attention...

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 pm

They are faster in deep space, but it's not enough for Fission-drive Liir to be faster than anyone else. It is more noticeable with Fusion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 pm

blue needs to stop talking out of his bum ;)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:50 am

Just the impression that I had when I had trouble catching fleeing hivers...

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:07 am

Liir ships don't have great top speeds, even in non-gravity-well situations, but they have very fast acceleration (it only seems like they go from dead stop to full speed instantly). So, at the beginning, as mentioned before, it is generally better to have missiles in the medium slot rather than double gauss or red lasers.

1) Your ER will probably not survive an encounter of any kind, period.
2) If your ER has missiles, it will be able to get a couple of shots off as it runs away (slowly). Because whatever you'll be fighting will also only havegauss or red lasers (probably nothing but gauss if your fighting the computer), your missiles will probably hit them. If you don't have missiles, you'll probably end up doing less damage in the time it takes your ER to blow up.
3) Your ER can solo any Derelict except for the one with the torpedo by kiting in place. Sorry, but the torpedo one will kill your ER. So will every other encounter.
4) If you can manage to fight a scout in deep space, you might actually be able to blow them up by running away since they'll close the gap slower.
5) Eventually, medium range weaponry will be better as it will fire quicker and not be easily countered.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 am

quick puch to UV lasers and then a dual UV mount can make a big diff when encountering other scouts

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:19 pm

From my MP experience, if you wait for UV to send out scouts, you're going to get behind the other players in exploration and colonization (even if you lose all your scout battles, you would still have explored a large number of planets before meeting the enemy). Maybe for the second wave of scouts...

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 pm

My second wave usually is armed with fusion torps. :)

Return to “The Weapons”