Question about weapon vs armor interaction

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
The Writer2
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by The Writer2 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:42 pm

I'm surprized no one has pointed-out one of the plainly foreseeable reasons for using so many small guns. Say you don't have Advanced Sensors yet, and your enemy has advanced cloaks, and their cloaked ships are wreaking absolute havoc on your fleet. Load-up a few cruisers or a dread with rapid-fire, maybe not-so-accurate weapons...you've got one hell of a cloaking "detection" system right there I'm sure. ;)

And the bonus would be that you save money on research...since you can just say "Aaagh, I'll get to Advanced Sensors in my own damn time. Right now: bio-weapons. :twisted: "
Image Image Image

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

"Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?"

Dirt Gunfrey

Post by Dirt Gunfrey » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:46 pm

cathexis wrote:Actually, I believe that none of the armor in the game is ablative.

After a google search, I don't think I actually meant ablative at all. :oops: I intended to describe an armor effective against kinetic weaponry. Or, really, just 'standard' armor. Metal cladding, which would be at least partially effective against most kinds of weapon. Sorry about the confusion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:51 pm

didn't I just make along post somewhere about how armor worked? :wink: Or was I asleep at my desk and dreaming I had?

The Writer2
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by The Writer2 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:03 am

Possibly both; I imagine you guys are burning what's left of the midnight oil from two years from now during a crunch before release. :lol:

Actually, yes, you did. I remeber. As I recall, your stock, standard armour will be partially effective against all types of weapons. I wouldn't pretend to know the exact numbers...

As for reflective, I recall something to the effect of Mecron here accidently hitting himself a few times with lasers because of its use. :P

And I personally don't really recall ablative armour...but...I sorta do...*digs into the wiki.*

EDIT: I see nuffin'. (in the slightly mangled words of castewar) :?
Image Image Image

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

"Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?"

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:45 am

Oh come on people. read back a few posts and try to understand it before putting your own thoughts into it okay?

Each ships section has its base hit points. This base hit point total is modified by only 2 factors. The family of "Metal" armors that provide a percentage hit point increase vs all weapons (cause you know...its not like adamantium makes it EASIER for energy weapons to cut through) and provides a low chance of richocheting kinetic weapons. The other hit point bonus a section can recieve is from the weapons mounted on it. The follows the relatively subtle logic that part of the difference between a particle beam and a much higher tech meson beam is not only the barrel but the infrastructure needed to create the beam. The devlopement of stronger conduits, reinforced bulkeads to shield from weapon side effects etc etc. just make for a slightly tougher ship.
The reflective armor family, which is basically a coating...provides NO hit point bonus but has a relatively high chance of causing laser class weapons to richochet. This includes the pulse phaser but does NOT include sustained fire beam weapons such as the particle beam or standard phaser.

References to deflectors and shields and absorbers are NOT armor in any way and are based on energy field projectors or absorbers on the ship itself and do not modify section hit points.

Exactly what part of this explanation on the first page of the thread do you not understand people? The new guy got it right away but the clerics can't figure it out??!?

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:49 pm

You must unlearn before you can learn...except for me of course, I get it right the first time, :wink: and can add to it without unlearning. Then I explain it to others. It's one of my gifts.

Just keep your ears open folks, and you can claim this as one of your strengths too.
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Unwashed_Pleb
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Unwashed_Pleb » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:22 am

The best reason as to why a hiver dred should not have 92 turrets of light weapons is the Terran dred armed with heavy weapons blowing large holes in it.
Plebeian. Adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
2. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.

Unwashed. Adj.
1. Unclean
2. Plebeian: the unwashed masses.

Awerlein

Post by Awerlein » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:58 am

The best reason as to why a hiver dred should not have 92 turrets of light weapons is the Terran dred armed with heavy weapons blowing large holes in it.

The best part of SotS is that both the heavy weapon dread and the light weapon dread can be very usefull designs. If your enemy realies too much on heavy weapon ships his fleet can be torn apart by a force of smaller but much more nimble craft.

Then again a light weapon dread could work like an anti-destroyer platform. And in case your foe uses alot of missles such a ship, even if in theory less efficient then a dedicated point defence ship, could still shoot down alot of oncomeing missles/torpedos by just the sheer nummber of shots it can fire.

Return to “The Weapons”