Articulated turrets?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Ozymandias

Articulated turrets?

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 02, 2006 5:30 pm

From the screenshots and movies I've seen only a select few (if any) turrets seem to actually show on the ships, yet I keep reading references to counting turret barrels or looking at their shapes and stuff. I'm a HUGE fan of actual tracking articulated turrets. So is it something like only large turrets show? Or only medium and large turrets? Or all turrets but they are only shown when close up because the distance model is lower poly?

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Tue May 02, 2006 5:37 pm

All turrets show. The ships you're looking at must not have many turrets in the area that you're looking. Try watching the second cinematic trailer, titled "Second Contact." There's lots of turret action in that ;-)
"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Tue May 02, 2006 6:08 pm

Hi Ozymandias, welcome to the forum.

Now then, I can safely say that all turrets show, though they might end up getting LOD'ed into a little two-poly grey blip at far enough distances. It takes some work, but you can see the small turrets on the command section of the Armored Dreadnought on the golem.de preview.

Ship designer image so you can see that they are there:
http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0604/sword-of-the-stars&a=44611&s=5

and ingame shot, look right above the second nose "fin" on that dark grey shelf to see three itty-bitty turrets:
http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0604/sword-of-the-stars&a=44611&s=9

However, while all turrets show, small turrets are really small compared to large turrets (which look pretty small on dreadnoughts) so unless you park the camera right next to the ship you're unlikely to be able to pick out any specific details.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 pm

That's awesome. Are the small turrets just little grey blips or do they actually articulate if you zoom in enough?

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Tue May 02, 2006 6:31 pm

Everyone tracks if they are capable of doing so (though at battlefield overview ranges it isn't going to be terribly noticable).
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 02, 2006 6:34 pm

It's tough to tell on the smaller ones unless you get in real close, but each weapon type has graphically different barrels on the turrets. So you can tell if that destroyer is packing lasers or gauss drivers. Missles versus plasma cannons versus particle beams.

If you're quick you can check out the bad guys once they get into visual range and change tactics accordingly.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 02, 2006 8:07 pm

Cool. It's stupid but for some reason knowing the turrets are tracking is important to me even if I only see the small ones do it once in a blue moon. There's something so much more cool about seeing batteries of turrets pounding slugs into the enemy (or scything with beams or whatnot). It was probably one of my only complaints about homeworld, there was no such thing as an actual turret, the beams and such just came out of nowhere.

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 02, 2006 8:43 pm

If you can see it, you'll see it tracking. As mentioned before the tracking speed nad range of motion have big effects in battle since the "bullet" is patched to hit the target not just some dice rolling going on behind the scenes. There will be times where you won't see all the details from LOD with 40+ ships in battle but get in sorta close and you'll see everything tracking and firing like there were gunners in the chairs.

Spoon

Post by Spoon » Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Cool. It's stupid but for some reason knowing the turrets are tracking is important to me even if I only see the small ones do it once in a blue moon. There's something so much more cool about seeing batteries of turrets pounding slugs into the enemy (or scything with beams or whatnot). It was probably one of my only complaints about homeworld, there was no such thing as an actual turret, the beams and such just came out of nowhere.

Just wondering if we are talking about the same homeworld.
The homeworld I played had every turret tracking and the ion beams and bullet ammo all came out of the turrets.
Boobies

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Tue May 02, 2006 8:45 pm

The original homeworld have slit textures that shot bullets... namely the mother ship's defense guns.

Spoon

Post by Spoon » Tue May 02, 2006 8:47 pm

Avatar_Squadron wrote:The original homeworld have slit textures that shot bullets... namely the mother ship's defense guns.

Those were 'hull guns' or 'deck turrets' or whatever they were called.
But those were only on a few ships. Destroyers, cruisers, corvettes etc all had tracking turrets.
Boobies

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Tue May 02, 2006 8:49 pm

The only turreted Ion Cannons were on Heavy Cruisers. The Destroyers used textures that looked like some kind of emitter, same with the frigates. The fighters had the texture guns too. I think that's what he's refering too.

Xektar

Post by Xektar » Tue May 02, 2006 8:57 pm

I am bord so WOOT GUNZ! :twisted: :)

Spoon

Post by Spoon » Tue May 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Avatar_Squadron wrote:The only turreted Ion Cannons were on Heavy Cruisers. The Destroyers used textures that looked like some kind of emitter, same with the frigates. The fighters had the texture guns too. I think that's what he's refering too.

Well the destroyers and ion cannon frigates were pretty much 'barrels' themselves. Oh and the assault frigate had track gun turrets.
In any case, that's talking about a game that is a couple of years old. Trackable turrets shouldn't be a problem with the tech these days.
Boobies

castewar
Kerberos

Post by castewar » Tue May 02, 2006 10:00 pm

Spoon wrote:In any case, that's talking about a game that is a couple of years old. Trackable turrets shouldn't be a problem with the tech these days.

Getting close to a decade, actually - and no, trackable turrets aren't a problem. We had them in Treasure Planet, and that's four years back.

It's truly a thing of beauty to watch an entire array of weapons turn on a target and fire.

Return to “The Weapons”