Articulated turrets?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Tssha

Post by Tssha » Tue May 02, 2006 10:25 pm

I would argue that it's significantly less beautiful when they all turn to and point at your vessel, but that's just me. :P
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Avatar_Squadron » Tue May 02, 2006 10:33 pm

meh

A beautiful death is a good death.
"May Server watch over us, protect us, and guide our smart munitions"

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 02, 2006 11:22 pm

If it's tracking turrets that kill me...then kill away. :P

I would LOVE if you guys made like a 5 second closeup movie clip of a dreadnaught wailing on something with all barrels blazing. The other clips I've seen have been so fast it's hard to watch the turrets do their thang. :P

Malaak

Post by Malaak » Wed May 03, 2006 6:07 am

A kindred spirit! I feel exactly the same way about tracking turrets. Though I'll have to agree with some of the others when they say that Homeworld did in fact have them, because it was while playing Homeworld that I discovered this particular love of mine ;)

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed May 03, 2006 7:09 am

It did have them, in a limited fashion. Ships also still had guns that weren't turrets and weren't spinal mounted. I also like the idea of barrages of fire coming off ships, and the most turrets on a homeworld ship was like 6 or something. Even the smallest ships in this game have like 3x as much (I think. Going off the # on a dread and dividing by 3). I seem to be misremembering homeworld badly, I have the distinct memory of wanting more turretage for massive space salvos. Didn't that horseshoe ship in homeworld have a buttload of ion beams that just shot out of no where.

All this talk about homeworld has me wanting homeworld 3 *hint hint* *nudge nudge* I want fighter and corvette swarms! I guess the smallest ships in this game will be like corvettes.

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Wed May 03, 2006 7:40 am

I think the least number of turrets that you can have on a ship is two small turrets, one on the command section and one on the engine section of a destroyer (and a mission section that doesn't have any weapon mounts). Dreadnoughts can have up to... uhh... 96 light barrels (IIRC, from the comment about hiver armored DN's filling everything with small weaponry) or something along the lines of 40 turrets proper.

As for HW3, go convince Relic that they want to stop working on Warhammer stuff and that making a new Homeworld game is what they really want to do. While you're at it, convince them to contract Arinn and Martin to do the writing since the guy who wrote HW2 didn't cut it.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed May 03, 2006 8:05 am

Yeah the first homeworld had real emotional impact. Playing the first homeworld was like playing a quality sci fi novel. The second was just...meh.

Dwarden

Post by Dwarden » Wed May 03, 2006 4:02 pm

I wonder if anyone remember old title named Far Gate (as it always bring QA testing memories for me when seeing similar space ship style :)...
http://www.superxstudios.com/Products/FarGate/home.htm

it got space ships with turrets and various animated parts but what was best was quality of the space environment effects (star coronas, gas clouds and so on :)

if You want see them in action (runs well on any DX8 or higher card) download free demo of Desktop DreamScapes (it have bit more updated visuals than original game)

http://www.superxstudios.com/downloads.htm

i hope that visual quality of "environment" will be at least as good as these in FG/DD and then they allow use them for various strategies and tactics (star coronas disrupting sensors (EM activity caused by eruptions can "blind" sensor arrays in system), gas and dust clouds hiding ships and installations, asteroid / planetoid based stations (mining, defense, sensor, research etc), comets, black holes, worm holes and other various space phenomenas :))

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Wed May 03, 2006 5:55 pm

@Dwarden - I replyed to your other post asking about the space environment over in the Sample gameplay thread.

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 7619#17619
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 03, 2006 7:18 pm

Dwarden well outside of a real kids game like Treasure Planet where we could do cartoon versions of Nebula and Black Holes, when it comes to more serious space combat, the scales of severity of such things kind of makes it silly. Very star trekky. For SotS, think more in terms of asteroids and moons and jamming fields. :wink:

As for HW3..well you have the problem of the liscence and the company being owned by 2 different competing companies. Bsides...its been a long time now. Look to a new future;)

mango
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by mango » Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 am

Far Gate I remember as I beta tested it, originally called The Rift if I remember correctly.

As for scale I am glad of the SotS approach, one thing about Star Wars Empire at War demo map, planets the size of a globular cluster ??!!?! Kind of throws a spanner in the works of willing suspension of disbelief for anyone over a certain age.

What I have seen of SotS does better in that regard, it has entertaining cartoon like qualities to the rendering eg planets, but still has key aspects which give a credible sense of scale, like a good spherical look and sense of atmosphere and of distant size. Its a question of artistic judgement and what I have seen seems to be in good taste. I imagine experience with TP helped you judge that fine line. (MoO3 *shudder*)

One thing I wonder about on this turret topic, dredging up nightmares from other games, (for the sake of conversation) does a swivelling gun turret fire before it is aligned to the target ? Or did you make sure it did not do that somehow ? I would guess you did since thats the sort of thing I would expect KP to get right.

I am just recalling moments from Hegemonia which I played recently where planet missile bases look like howitzer guns and they fire shots 45 degrees to the barrel of the gun, didnt look quite right. But that game was left with a lot of stuff not quite done.

Dwarden

Post by Dwarden » Thu May 04, 2006 4:29 pm

mango :) me too nice to see some of vets still around :)

anyway about the size comment , You sure remember game ST: Klingon Academy

where You were able hide ship(s) in gas giant (top levels of atm) or in dust rings around planets and so on ... (i know the ST comment ruins it but hey) ...

at least these can be around planet and affect the gameplay somehow but if not oh well ... maybe another game do it :) lol

Faenaris

Post by Faenaris » Thu May 04, 2006 5:22 pm

off-topic: You guys played Far Gate and ST:KA? Nice, I haven't seen many players who have even heard of those games. Well, the latter was more popular, but Far Gate was a very unknown one. I loved that game, but the interface was a bit messy when you extended all the panels. :)

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri May 05, 2006 6:58 am

One thing I wonder about on this turret topic, dredging up nightmares from other games, (for the sake of conversation) does a swivelling gun turret fire before it is aligned to the target ? Or did you make sure it did not do that somehow ? I would guess you did since thats the sort of thing I would expect KP to get right.

From the videos they've release the turrets seem to track right with what they're firing. I think it's light turrets I'm talking about from the vid as they track really fast as a ship is flying by.

Dwarden

Post by Dwarden » Fri May 05, 2006 5:34 pm

@BK : i was with project since work on The Rift started and i helped with testing of DD also (i always was wondering why noone made games capable to run as part of desktop like DD as i would use it all the time :)

Return to “The Weapons”