Having a hard time deciding what weapons to use

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Sentenza

Post by Sentenza » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 am

I've tried the drivers, and they are abysmal (Haven't gotten to DNs though, but they miss ~80%, except if it's a planet), maybe AP is better, meh.

I've played as Zuul, with missile ships, and the amount of missiles they can pump out is sickening, totally an option :)
But I don't play as Zuul anymore, don't like the playstyle.

At any rate, assuming research availability isn't an issue, what are your favourites?
You can skip DEs, so just CR and up.

Or is it simply a matter of "I look for what's available and use that"?

I kinda liked Blazer CRs in earlier games, but now I want to play some Hivers, and their Blazer sections have only 2 beams...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Having a hard time deciding what weapons to use

Post by ZedF » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 am

Sentenza wrote:I've tried the drivers, and they are abysmal (Haven't gotten to DNs though, but they miss ~80%, except if it's a planet), maybe AP is better, meh.

AP drivers are one of the best weapons in the game, IMHO. :) They aren't the best at anything, but they are 'good enough' for most purposes, are reasonably accurate, and are relatively hard to counter. Hiver, Tarka, Human, and Zuul all get pretty good to excellent chances to get them.

If you just can't stand to miss at all, though, you might want to look into some of the turreted beam weapons such as emitters and phasers.

At any rate, assuming research availability isn't an issue, what are your favourites?

Probably my two favourite classes of weapons are AP drivers and emitter technologies. But I tend to switch things around a lot. There are quite a few deceptively powerful specialty weapons -- some of which can even seem brokenly powerful (against the AI) once you figure out how best to use them. Most of the latter aren't quite so hot when used against a live opponent who knows about them, mind you.

By the time I get to AM-era technologies, it's often more a matter of seeing what I have access to. There are a lot of really powerful weapons and defenses in this tier to choose from.

You can skip DEs, so just CR and up.

Not always advisable. There are times when a large number of DDs can outperform cruisers or perform the same job more cost-effectively, or even do jobs larger ships simply can't (or can't do without a LOT of advanced technology.) It's true that the niche of the DD gets smaller as larger ships take more prominence on the field, but it never vanishes entirely. As just one example, the way you fight using a strikeforce of torpedo DDs can be very different from the way you fight using a strikeforce of torpedo CAs.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

fredNN

Re: Having a hard time deciding what weapons to use

Post by fredNN » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:26 am

In my game I wish I have that problem.
My Hiver did not get any random medium weapon: no AP Driver, no Emitter, no DF Racks, no Fusion or AM Cannon, no Phaser...
I use Xray Laser or Mass Driver in medium slot. I can use Mass Driver because neighbour Hiver has even less luck - no armor until turn 140, then he got PolySilicate. :insane:

But it look like I will salvage AP Driver and Chakkar from him. :)

Return to “The Weapons”