Laser vs. Gauss PD?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Zweistein

Laser vs. Gauss PD?

Post by Zweistein » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:05 am

Hello. Recently I found out that gauss and laser PD are unlocked by the exact same tech. My quesrtion is whay are here two techs and what are the differences between the two?

The stats diagram clearly shows that Laser PD is better, but I'm thinking that here needs to be a point where gauss is beter otherwise it wouldn't be there.
We will sing their nightmares to them.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Laser vs. Gauss PD?

Post by ZedF » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 pm

They are better for different things. Laser PD is more accurate than gauss and has longer range and fires more often, but does low damage, so it's best for multiple small targets like a missile volley from a satellite or warship. Gauss hits much harder but is less accurate; it's better for larger, slower targets like torpedoes and boarding pods.

Some PD targets can be harder to quantify, like drones/shuttles (nimble or may otherwise not be nearby, but largeish and durable), mines (lots of small targets but are slow and may be durable), or heavy planet missiles (relatively fast but large and durable), so there is room to experiment to see which is better in what kinds of situations. Also there are other kinds of PD, i.e. interceptors and phaser PD, plus there are other non-PD techs that can improve or degrade seeking weapon performance.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:09 pm

In theory, gauss PD should be affected by the same things as ballistic weapons (armors, VRF, Accel Amp, Neutronium), while laser PD by the same things as energy pulse weapons (reflective coatings, energy absorber).

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Reflective only - you can't put an energy absorber on anything that can be targeted by PD, at least in SotS1.

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 am

I guess Blue was referring to laser PD on ships equipped with Energy Absorber

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Oh, does an absorber charge PD? I didn't think it did, but I guess it's a possibility.

Warcat

Post by Warcat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:04 am

I don't know if energy PD are affected by Absorber.
It could be tested by modding their recharge rate imho

Return to “The Weapons”