Tractor beams on defence satellites?

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Zweistein

Tractor beams on defence satellites?

Post by Zweistein » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:41 pm

SO Tarka just brought in the dreadnoughts and they suddenly feel very happy parking their ships just above the atmosphere where my Liir DNs can't do their doom spirals. While I don't mind that as much as I do mind that stray shots from both my DN as well as their sections that aren't facing my stuff are bombarding and killing planets. I've lost 3 planets this way, in all the cases I have "successfully" repelled the attack and suffered less (ship) losses. I have already dropped to the 2nd best income because of this and since I can't really prevent it (I didn't get arcology construction) I though to myself: why not tractor beams? It would increase my industrial output allowing me to get my flagship fleet rolling faster and since I can'z help but to lose my planets anyway, I might as well go an eat their dreadnoughts while doing it. The question is now: is it worth it? Will my satellites have enough slots even to bring their dreadnought down?
We will sing their nightmares to them.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Tractor beams on defence satellites?

Post by ZedF » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:52 pm

One satellite tractor beam = 1 dead enemy DN, if it hits at the right time. I don't think you can go too far wrong with satellite tractors, though it's less expensive with Zuul or Morrigi who get beam-capable large mounts on medium satellites. (Everyone else can only put missiles such as KKs on medium sat large mounts.)

You can also use ship-mounted tractors to slide enemy DNs into planets, but this takes more finesse and care to line up your tractor shots and sudden turns properly for the desired effect.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “The Weapons”