Lasers (including pulse-phasers)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:17 pm

just the 4 lasers and the pulse phasers.

Darth Meatloaf

Post by Darth Meatloaf » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:24 pm

Oh, whoever said that it was a good idea for Liir with their excess of small mounts to use PD phasers in all the small mounts instead of having dedicated PD ships...

They were right.

If you have all of the Phaser tech, or at least Phasers and PD Phasers, a good defensive dread could be loaded out with PD Phasers in all small mounts, Phasers in all medium and your best beam weapons in your large mounts (Meson Beams, anyone? :twisted: ) and you can wade right into the minelayers with little to worry about...
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
If you would have peace, prepare for war. -Motto of the Black Swimmers

*My name will differ online with the race I play.

Hiver: Winged Horror
Human: Ensign Ricky
Liir: Cathal
Tarka: Darth Meatloaf

g33kst4r

Post by g33kst4r » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:42 am

I am just atempting to work out the VRF technology for lasers?....I cannot find anything on the wiki about it either?
Captain of the cloaked Cruiser Damocles
--
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:04 am

g33kst4r wrote:I am just atempting to work out the VRF technology for lasers?....I cannot find anything on the wiki about it either?

VRF tech is in the ballistic tree, but it enables PD turrets for both drivers and lasers.

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:39 am

forsaken1111 wrote:VRF tech is in the ballistic tree, but it enables PD turrets for both drivers and lasers.

Not quite. VRF makes all ballistic weapons increase rate of fire. Also it may lead to Point Defense Tracking, which is a random (and separate) tech, so it may not be available.
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 am

Elethiomel wrote:
forsaken1111 wrote:VRF tech is in the ballistic tree, but it enables PD turrets for both drivers and lasers.

Not quite. VRF makes all ballistic weapons increase rate of fire. Also it may lead to Point Defense Tracking, which is a random (and separate) tech, so it may not be available.

Right, I should have said it enables it IF it's randomly available to you.

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:36 pm

i just love PD phasers, after i get them, not a single stupid PM can touch my DN's. Unfortunatly, not having the PD phaser tech in my tree makes me sad.... have to go put some $$$ into the ballistics tree. :p

so you say pulse phasers arent good PD? well, i hope their better than UV lasers then, until i can get gauss PD or something like that. right now those PM are hrting me... takes a loooong time to repair a DN with 97% damage.

ok, and here's my laser question. If the enemy invests in, say, improved reflective armor, does that make it a waste to run X-ray lasers? or do they still have a purpose. I have seen those little lasers kill incoming PM's, but gauss could probably do the same thing. any thoughts?
Two Simple Rules for Life

1) never tell everyone everything you know.

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:59 pm

X-ray lasers are the best single-shot laser weapon in the game. Pulse Phasers fire in bursts of three but are somewhat less accurate and do less damage per round (but if you hit, you hit with all three). As such, x-ray is better for point defense because it hits more often and recharges faster, and against missiles you really only need one shot.

As for x-ray vs. imp. reflective, you'll be seeing about 50% of your shots bouncing off, more or less depending on the angle that you hit them. Again though, x-ray lasers have the best chance of punching through and don't bounce nearly as often as, say, gauss against high-end armor.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:04 am

If you're having trouble picking between X-ray and Pulse phasers, here's my suggestion.

If you have AI command sections, go with pulse phasers. They fire in bursts of three, so are OK point defense and good at DE busting. They have the same % chance to bounce as any other laser. Their damage per hit is lower than other lasers, but the total damage of a 3-shot burst exceeds any other laser weapon.

If you don't have AI and don't like Fire Control, go with X-ray lasers. They're more accurate and do more damage per hit.

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:30 am

The big problem with pulse phasers over x-ray lasers besides the accuracy bit is the recharge times. Pulse phasers are on a 10-second recharge cycle while x-ray lasers fire every 3 or so. For PD purposes, faster and more accurate beats out number of shots.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

Squippy

Post by Squippy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:42 am

A question about point defense:

I notice that when you lay down a PD hull the game automatically populates the small hardpoints with your best laser, even if you have PD lasers/phasers/etc.

Does the hull imply improved targetting such that lasers so mounted are more likely to be effectives as PD? Or is it a better idea to mount actual PD weapons in all the points?

Thanks

Strategia
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Strategia » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 am

PD hulls simply provide you with heaps of small turrets. AFAIK, they don't provide any to-hit bonuses. You can load the hardpoints out with PD weapons if you like, but you can also chock 'em full of pulse phasers and use it as a DD killer.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Pulsed phasers make bad PD weapons. Their accuracy is adequate for shooting down incoming missiles, but the triple burst (most likely to stop only one projectile) every 10 seconds is what makes them less suited than normal lasers. Against ships they are slightly better off in pure damage potential per second than regular lasers.

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:59 am

More fun with Pulsed Phasers!

Recently discovered that they work really well at clearing out any unwanted population at enemy colonies. Nowhere near, say, heavy beam efficiency, but they deal little to no enviroment hazard or infrastructure damage (at least in the 1.2.1 update, never used them against planets earlier). Oddly the main Phasers (beams) don't seem very effective against worlds at all.

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:20 am

cathexis wrote:The big problem with pulse phasers over x-ray lasers besides the accuracy bit is the recharge times. Pulse phasers are on a 10-second recharge cycle while x-ray lasers fire every 3 or so. For PD purposes, faster and more accurate beats out number of shots.

Is this still correct after the patch? Because when I look at the graphics for each weapon, the recharge rate seems to be pretty close. Sure about that differential?

Return to “The Weapons”