Lasers (including pulse-phasers)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
tramsan

Post by tramsan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:26 am

Pulse phasers are 8, x-rays are 3.
"On this ship you refer to me as 'idiot,' not 'you captain!' "
It's "per se," damn it!
Everything I promptly forgot right after hearing it, I learned at The Cove

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:37 am

tramsan wrote:Pulse phasers are 8, x-rays are 3.

Maybe so, but the graphic doesn't show that. It shows them as being equal.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:17 pm

the bar takes into account the 3 shots per burst.

Grifman
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Grifman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:49 am

Mecron wrote:the bar takes into account the 3 shots per burst.

Thanks, thought that might be so.

MrAlgothi

Post by MrAlgothi » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Im quite enjoying the 1.2 pulse phasers, as they now out range the X-ray laser (according to the wiki, of course.) They give my AI/Absorb/AM Flicker warp Liir DEs a decent bite in addition to the Anti-matter Cannons. AND they are tough little buggers, ;)

Astax

Post by Astax » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:32 pm

Light emmiters are PD of sorts, but they are slow to fire. I've used green lasers with Hiver. I think I had no purple research ability.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:45 pm

UV lasers are a core tech, you can always research them.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:09 pm

He probably meant he didn't get the skip link from red to UV.

Pyramider

Post by Pyramider » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 am

I must not yet understand the full benefits of upgrading PD lasers to PD phasers. For me, the main value that PD lasers provide over their phaser cousins is their greater range, with rate of fire being icing on the cake.

Any group of missiles that is heading towards a fleet will come into PD range earlier and be targeted by more ships if PD lasers are mounted instead of PD phasers. I build my fleets with the goal of having the ships cover each other as much as possible, and good range is the key to achieving that coverage.

Yes, PD phasers do more damage to the target. But versus a missile, isn't that damage wasted in overkill?

Are people putting PD phasers on their ships with the idea that they'll be used mainly against torpedoes? I could see that if the enemy uses torps heavily, but only mixed in with PD lasers because sats and planets will still tend to toss missiles.

Or are PD phasers intended as secondary weapons against other ships when not shooting at missiles and torps? If so, wouldn't it be better just to mount the X-ray laser?

If the idea is to shoot down missiles, PD lasers seem to be perfect. Maybe I'm not understanding the right idea about PD phaser use.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:18 am

PD phasers are better than PD lasers against a tight group of missiles, since it will swipe and blow up more than one with one beam charge. The high damage is also far better against torpedoes. However their drawback is the shorter range that, as you noticed, makes them less useful for covering other ships in the fleet.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:27 am

Because their shot has no travel time, PD phasers can often shoot down more than one missile at a time if they are closely clustered. As the usual goal of enemy missile ships is to get as many missiles on target at the same time as possible to minimize enemy PD recharge cycles, this is a relatively common occurrance. An additional benefit of this is that fewer ships will tend to waste shots on the same missiles with multiple banks and/or from more than one ship, since the closest missile(s) will generally get destroyed the instant they are in range and things that are slightly further away won't get a chance to fire until something else comes in range.

Furthermore, in BoB there are corrosive missiles and nanite missiles to worry about, as well as torps. These have significant hitpoints and laser PD tends not to do a great job against them. Phaser PD is much better suited to deal with these types of missiles. For cruisers and dreads, regular missiles are relatively low on the threat scale compared to these and to torps.

So for general purpose tracking projectile defense, phaser PD tends to be as good as or better than anything else. This makes sense considering it is so difficult and expensive to acquire compared to more conventional forms of PD. This didn't use to be the case, as phaser PD used to be too short ranged to provide adequate mutual coverage for fleets, but now it does. Also, phaser PD is currently bugged and won't hit missiles at all, but this will be fixed in the update.

Generally speaking, phaser PD is expensive but getting at least some if available is worth it. I think a mix of phaser and other PD is potentially useful since it gives more engagement options at different ranges, and keeps the costs down.

Pyramider

Post by Pyramider » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:41 am

Thanks, ZedF and Sevain! I didn't know about the sweeping behavior that PD phasers have against missiles, nor did I take into account the instant travel time of the phasers. Wasting many shots against the first missile of an incoming group is a distinct disadvantage of PD lasers.

I'll experiment with mixes of PD phasers and lasers. I suspect that I'll keep PD lasers in my belly and dorsal turrets to deal with incoming PM's, and then put PD phasers elsewhere.

Thanks again!

Chibiabos

Post by Chibiabos » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:40 am

I just got BOB working and am noticing that UV and X-Ray lasers show as having the exact same stats on the graph ... there's no change in damage, range, accuracy or recharge! What is going on there?

harperbrad

Post by harperbrad » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:02 am

--HarperBrad
Image Image Image

goduranus

Re: Lasers (including pulse-phasers)

Post by goduranus » Wed May 07, 2008 8:00 am

are red laser previously a beam weapon?

found this pic
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/Sp ... en0016.jpg

is that how it used to be? I think it's slightly cooler like that.

Return to “The Weapons”