Lasers (including pulse-phasers)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
erdrik

Re: Lasers (including pulse-phasers)

Post by erdrik » Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 pm

That was for a mod. its a pretty popular conversion.
Even I've at one time mod'd the lasers into beams.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 08, 2008 7:32 pm

chib...the weapons graphs used to be mostly relative terms to the weapons in their class and a bit more abstract across overall lines....there was much complaining and nervous breakdowns over this...so the grpahs were readjusted to a linear relationship across the board...the down side unfortunately when dealing with realtively small graphs and a damage spread from 5 to 2300 is that the differences between small weapons such as red to UV just doesnt show up very well.

Hans Lemurson

Re:

Post by Hans Lemurson » Sat May 10, 2008 8:00 am

Pyramider wrote:Thanks, ZedF and Sevain! I didn't know about the sweeping behavior that PD phasers have against missiles, nor did I take into account the instant travel time of the phasers. Wasting many shots against the first missile of an incoming group is a distinct disadvantage of PD lasers.

I'll experiment with mixes of PD phasers and lasers. I suspect that I'll keep PD lasers in my belly and dorsal turrets to deal with incoming PM's, and then put PD phasers elsewhere.

Thanks again!

Laser PD does actually sweep, it's just that it doesn't change target until its current one is dead, and its shots do not travel instantaneously, so most of the time all three bolts are fired redundantly at the same missile. In point-blank missile-swatting though, I have seen laser pd take out multiple missiles on one volley.
-OMNES CORAM LEMURE CEDITE-
:idea: Just like the wOmBaT which ever yet continues climbing the Karakorums in vain, so indeed is absurdism a way of life. :idea:
(Timed Notes,)

Arcosian

Post by Arcosian » Tue May 11, 2010 5:21 am

What the ....

Kill the gold spammer, kill kill kill :)

Mightypeon

Re:

Post by Mightypeon » Sat May 29, 2010 10:43 am

Ubik wrote:when creating an armor destroyer, you have a medium mount. if you place a laser there, will it be a bigger one or will it just make the ship cheaper?

Ubik, is that you (Paradox Plaza)? Any chance of a ridiculously difficult Magna Mundi SOTS soon?

I have some question regarding IR lasers:

To me, it occured that dual IR Lasers make quite decent medium mounts by themselfs, especially on destroyers. My first question is: What is the propability of IR beeing reflected from either Tier of reflective coating?
As a second question: I noticed that my medium mounts occassionally try to fire at incoming missles (without a lot of success I may add). Would it be possibly to flag certain weapon groups as "Point defense" or "No point defense"? This could perhaps be included in the already present "Hold Fire, Fire at will, Fire only at my targets" interface that weapon groups already have.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat May 29, 2010 6:03 pm

There are no infra-red lasers in the game. ;)

Do you mean UV lasers? If so, then yes they make quite good medium mount weapons (i.e. they double-mount in medium turrets) especially in the fission era. Probability of being deflected depends on several factors such as what hull shape you're shooting at, but in general UV lasers are slightly deflection-resistant but not very much so.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “The Weapons”