Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
bman654

Post by bman654 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:56 pm

Penance wrote:
Breniir wrote:on a sid enote, 118 AM warheads + deep scan + enemy DN = *grin*

1 DN CnC + 23 Photonic Torpedo DE's + deep scan + enemy missile-DN fleet = *bigger grin*

1 DN CnC + 7 Deflector CA's + deep scan + enemy missile-DN fleet = *freakishly large grin*

Every evilly awesome fleet has a counter in this game. What a fun design.

Lazy Perfectionist

Post by Lazy Perfectionist » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:32 pm

I did a little bit of math when discussing large satellites with a friend. Given maximum missile mounts and size, a class 10 planet would have 20 planetary missiles. On regular missiles...

(2)10+(2+4)10+(8+4*2)10= 20 + 60 + 160 = 240 missiles...
When playing with cruiser deflectors, I noticed that some damage seeps through a deflector shield even when detonated early by the shield. It didn't happen fast, but it gets me wondering... Could I at least kill an opponent by overwhelming their cpu and gpu? Seriously, though... while I can think of some flaws with this design, it would be interesting to see how this many missiles actually worked against a deflector, for instance.

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:08 am

Lazy Perfectionist wrote:I did a little bit of math when discussing large satellites with a friend. Given maximum missile mounts and size, a class 10 planet would have 20 planetary missiles. On regular missiles...

(2)10+(2+4)10+(8+4*2)10= 20 + 60 + 160 = 240 missiles...
When playing with cruiser deflectors, I noticed that some damage seeps through a deflector shield even when detonated early by the shield. It didn't happen fast, but it gets me wondering... Could I at least kill an opponent by overwhelming their cpu and gpu? Seriously, though... while I can think of some flaws with this design, it would be interesting to see how this many missiles actually worked against a deflector, for instance.

What you're seeing is that the blast-area of planetary missiles is larger than the distance between a cruiser and it's deflector field. DN deflectors don't have this problem, and as far as I know can take an infinite missile barrage.

bman654

Post by bman654 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:07 am

Don't planetary missiles usually miss the deflector since they are coming in from the top/bottom?

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:04 pm

forsaken1111 wrote:What you're seeing is that the blast-area of planetary missiles is larger than the distance between a cruiser and it's deflector field. DN deflectors don't have this problem, and as far as I know can take an infinite missile barrage.

DN defelectors? i was under the impression that DN's couldnt get point deflectors. Is there like some tech i need to research???!!!??

and ive done lots of work with deflectors against planetary missiles, it depends on exactly where the missile hits the shield. like i posted over in the 'sehild tech' section, you have to carefully time your advance, or else the missiles will overshoot your deflectors and own your mission section. This often leads to me having a big battle fleet out there with no repair or fuel support, which is very sad!
Two Simple Rules for Life

1) never tell everyone everything you know.

Wyvern

Post by Wyvern » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:10 pm

DN's can have a point deflector bow section, but no shields ( that I know of! )

Their deflector field is huge. You just need deflector tech and the ability to build dreadnoughts.
--------------------
Fhtagn?
Wyvern

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:24 pm

odd, ive tried to do that before and couldnt see it. Ill take another look when i jump back in the game. Course, it wouldnt work with my missile DN's, the missiles would hit the shield and die. it is amusing/annoying, when my missile salvos scrape my advance-shield cruisers and end up blowing up!

and now that i think about it, a battle bridge is a misisle whore best friend (for Tarkaa at least) i dont think id trade that out for shields. thats what cruisers are for. :p

forsaken1111

Post by forsaken1111 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:42 pm

Penance wrote:Course, it wouldnt work with my missile DN's, the missiles would hit the shield and die.

Might be able to avoid this by only mounting missiles on the sides and back. They might launch far enough away from the ship to miss the deflector.

Penance

Post by Penance » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:46 pm

i ended up making a DN named 'phaser boat'

3 guesses on what it does..... :D a very nice complement to my missile DN's, they become less as effective once the enemy gets close. the Phaser boat, on the other hand, does not. (although, i dont mount phaser beams on my large turrets, i use that energy beaming thing.)

I think my tech tree screwed me over this game, no PD phasers and no gauss PD. And no beams larger than the first one. And no cutter beams.

:evil:

cathexis
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by cathexis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:02 pm

I built a dreadnought called "Pulse Hello!" that was a standard armor dreadnought with literally nothing but pulse phasers. Not terribly effective but really pretty in a fight.

DN's can have deflectors and absorbers, but no shields.

As for getting planet missiles around deflector screens, at least with cruisers if the ship is moving forward you'll hit the ship, otherwise the missile will hit the screen.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed.
The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Valdrog

Post by Valdrog » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:04 pm

Im a missile freak, nothing says BOOM like dozens of missiles leaving a trail of smoke behind them as they leave their launchers and streak towards the enemy vesel with the fury of Hell in their warheads!

My favorite config is my missile cruiser, 7 missele launchers per cruiser, 4 cruiserS together targetting the same ship and launching missiles....beautyful sight, just gotta make sure not to place them to close together or the missiles hit each other....found out the hard way.
This space for rent.

roy7

Post by roy7 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Will a detonating fusion torp damage a CR with deflectors?

Can a DE with photonics hit a moving CR, even if we toss in fire control section, or should my DE torp swarms only use tracking torps?

Chernobog

Post by Chernobog » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:28 pm

7 missle launchers? Hah. My version (hiver, with fusion or AM) has 15 launchers. And could go up to 16, if you used a battle bridge instead of a hammerhead.

Yes, photonics can hit a moving cruiser. They can also very well miss a moving (or more importantly, maneuvering) cruiser, and require awkward aiming, where guided torpedoes can be launched from very far off-bore. Don't know which works better. Very likely there's a taste factor in it.

roy7

Post by roy7 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:34 pm

I've only actually used photonics in one game, visually they are very cool, but my enemy that game had deflectors so they were pretty much wasted. For some reason I had thought photonics wouldn't get deflected (since they can't be shot down), but boy was I wrong. :D

I'm still curious how they'd do agaisnt non-deflector enemies though... want to try them again some game where opportunity permits. I've had fusion torps researched once (skipped plasma that game) but never got to see them in combat to test how good of a job they really do.

Valdrog

Post by Valdrog » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:58 pm

"7 missle launchers? Hah. My version (hiver, with fusion or AM) has 15 launchers. And could go up to 16, if you used a battle bridge instead of a hammerhead."

16 Missile launchers on a cruiser ?? how the heck were u able to fit so many in there ?? I play Hivers to, just havent gotten far enough in the game me and my friends are playing to get DNs yet, i can see it on a DN, and once is done researching in 2 turns ..i will >:)
This space for rent.

Return to “The Weapons”