Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Profound_Darkness

Re: Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:47 am

Can anyone confirm if area effect missiles shoot from the planet too? I usually research these quite late but that would be neat IMO if the planet launches whatever tech you happen to have...

As for preferences, before ANY I preferred detonating torpedoes as the satellites would auto fire them and pretty well at that. Now I like standard torps again. About the only time I like detonating torps is if I am armed up with a lot of area of effect weapons (like the cloud missiles/COLs). Yes I know about the auto-fire button but the satellites just aren't that effective now. On the other hand I am finding great joy in KK missiles on my Medium Torp sats. Generally my defense force is outside of KK range so if a ship gets in close to my world they are outside of my kill zone and I would rather they have trouble hitting my stuff (usually gate). On occasion the KK missiles managed to push enemy DNs into my planet, often these DNs came in on odd angles to bypass my killzone and so were quite healthy so I was OK with the odd kill that way.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:09 pm

not happening...just mirv and heavy :thumbsup:

Chribba

Post by Chribba » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi just started playing a few days ago. I just tried a cloaked missile spamming fleet with improved cloak, it works with cloak ER and Refinery, but when i cloak the missile crusier fleet, they don't cloak the way the ER and Refinery does even with the same tech. They decloak evey so often then recloak after 3 sec and they only fire when uncloak. Is that because missile can't be fire even when you have improved cloak?

And a noob question, what does MIRV stand for? :roll:

Edit: The Cloaking ER and refinery are gun fitted btw.

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:02 am

Multiple Independant Re-entry Vehicles. It is the multi-warhead missiles.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:48 am

Chribba wrote:Hi just started playing a few days ago. I just tried a cloaked missile spamming fleet with improved cloak, it works with cloak ER and Refinery, but when i cloak the missile crusier fleet, they don't cloak the way the ER and Refinery does even with the same tech. They decloak evey so often then recloak after 3 sec and they only fire when uncloak. Is that because missile can't be fire even when you have improved cloak?

Try asking in the support forum. I'll try this myself when I have a game with the appropriate tech, methinks.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Chribba

Post by Chribba » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Thx for the reply, I am going to try a cloaking gun crusier fleet, see if it works. And btw i found out the projector crusier also act like the cloaking missile crusier. But tbh, if it works, a cloaking projector crusier fleet with improved will rape :twisted:

Chribba

Post by Chribba » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:06 pm

HA i found out why, i need to NOT put Intanginbility on to keep the firing cloak. :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk:

Mesaia

Post by Mesaia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:58 am

Chribba wrote:HA i found out why, i need to NOT put Intanginbility on to keep the firing cloak. :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk:

Ah. Intangibility is not the same as cloaking. They can still see you.

Yes, projectors with intangibility are fun. ;)

Beware torpedo or missiles though. They'll fly around inside your intangible ship until you turn back tangible. Torpedoes exploding inside your ships are bad.

Inst

Post by Inst » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:42 am

are there weapon stats for interceptor missiles?

Also, can detonating torpedoes hit multiple sections of a ship, particularly a small one like a destroyer or cruiser?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 am

Detonating torps deal their damage once, afaik. You can see weapon stats in a sticky in the TAR forum.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

levianna

Post by levianna » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 pm

I've recently tested out the Kelvinic torpedos and found them quite satisfying as DN-killers when coupled with a high-damage-weapon. (I used two different Designs: first the obvious Assault+Barrage DN-design with Kelvinic Torps, Cutting Beams and inertial cannons so the Enemy DNs kindly stay where I want them, secondly a Fleet with a defensive DN-CNC-design and CR with MK4+ shields and barrage section. (I was Human) Both showed quite an impressive damage Output.)

So I was wondering, how the maths for Kelvinic Torps works. The description in the SotS Wiki says 'Subsequent damage increases by 5% for every kelvinic torpedo hit. '

Now what I'd like to know: Is this damage increase applied as one big modifier (e.g. additive, meaning a full salvo of kelvinic torps from a hiver assault+barrage DN increases subsequent damage by 50%)
or as one multiplier per hit (resulting in a total of 62,8% damage increase for the given example (10 hits â 5% damage increase))

(knowing how game developers typically work, it's probably additive with a fixed maximum increase, but still I'd like to know for sure if anyone knows)

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:53 pm

Are disruptors stronger than they used to be? I decided to trot some out for a fight, since I counted myself lucky to get them as Humans. DE Challenger is a strafe/torpedo with a disruptor, CR Starfire is an assault/blazer with a disruptor as well. Five disruptors in the fight managed 10k damage! :shock: I checked the Zuul designs to be sure, they didn't bring any. Fight was manual, not AR.
I am pleased.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Profound_Darkness wrote:Can anyone confirm if area effect missiles shoot from the planet too? I usually research these quite late but that would be neat IMO if the planet launches whatever tech you happen to have...

Even though the planet doesn't launch them don't both CR and DN sata launch Corrosive and Nanite missiles as well as KK and MW.. I guess it depends on whatever you put on the design. So you could possibly have multiple missile types being fired from the planet. They just on platforms not comming out of the planet :thumbsup:

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 am

The only fancy missiles that your planet will shoot are Heavy Planetary Missiles and Multi-Warhead Missiles.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Zuulu

Post by Zuulu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Regarding planetary missiles, you get 1 missile per 100m population. Can the amount of missiles being fired be reduced by killing the population during tactical combat or is it set in stone based on the figure at the beginning of the fight?

Return to “The Weapons”