Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 pm

AFAIK seeking munitions are immune to splash damage.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Dafmeister

Re: Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Post by Dafmeister » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:50 pm

That's handy, it would be rather annoying to try torpedo-spamming an enemy dreadnought only to find half by torpedos being destroyed by their predecessors.
Life is like a box of chocolates: the map is always wrong, the good ones are always taken and if you see something that looks nice, nine times out of ten there's something vile lurking at its core.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:10 am

Plasma, Fusion and Antimater torpedo are Point Defence target. If Point Defence shot torpedo to half "life", how much damage it does? Half or full?

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:14 am

As far as I understand it, a torpedos 'life' and the damage it does are the same thing. It gains power as it travels and loses power every time it takes a hit.
Life is like a box of chocolates: the map is always wrong, the good ones are always taken and if you see something that looks nice, nine times out of ten there's something vile lurking at its core.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Dafmeister wrote:As far as I understand it, a torpedos 'life' and the damage it does are the same thing. It gains power as it travels and loses power every time it takes a hit.

Thank you. If this is corect, is Torpedo very bad in close fight. Low damage = low "life" = easy to destroy.

But it gains power. Do you know if it gains power linear or it skips to next value when it travels over range (pb_range 200, eff_range 800 and max_range 1400)?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 pm

AFAIK it's gradually increasing.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 am

And yes, guided torpedos are much less effective in a close-range fight. If you're up against a torpedo-using enemy and fighting at that range, you may be better off not using PD at all and putting offensive weapons in your small mounts - the extra damage you'd be giving out might well exceed what you'd take from the low-power torpedos you'd be receiving.

Red Spot

Post by Red Spot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 am

Playing as for instance Humans I tend to put PD in the CR-armors small slots, than when the AI shoots that first volley I let my fleet move forward in an angle of about 60%. They shoot down the torps, than I stop/let chase my ships and lock guns. Torp-damage on my ships tends to be very low/nothing at all. Later on, when facing AM-torps, I may use a dedicated PD.
If you skip on PD those first torps can do a whole lot of damage to the ship catching them ;)

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Oh I agree. By the time I'm building cruisers I'm usually putting PD in the small mounts on everything except the light defence satellites (which get light emitters or lasers as a rule). My point was, if you're willing to take the hits on one or two ships while you close, replacing the PD with offensive weapons could get you a favourable rate of exchange once you've closed. Personally, I don't like that approach - partly because I don't like treating ships as expendable and partly because I prefer not to fight quite that close up.

YRRAH2

Post by YRRAH2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:06 am

I have a question regarding missles and mount sizes.

I understand the relationship between directed energy weapons (ballistics, laser, etc.) and mount sizes: bigger mounts means more "tubes" of smaller weapons.

But for ships, there is only one size of missle. So does the same relationship hold? That is, a small mount fire one missle, a medium fire two, and a heavy fire three missles?

I have read through some (but by no means, all) forums here but have not seen a definitive answer to this. And I haven't played enough times to deduce the answer from gameplay.

Thanks

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Hey YRRAH2, welcome to the forums. To answer your question, yes the same type multiple barrel relationship holds true for missiles but with a slight twist. Missiles are a medium mount weapon to start with, so you get one missile in a medium mount and two in a large mount. There are no larger mounts in SotS 1, so two missiles in one turret is the biggest you will see.

And as a fun aside, when you put a missile in a large turret, you get a different look to the turret than you do by putting a missile in a medium turret. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Orion_Steel

Oddly, I do not really like to use missiles

Post by Orion_Steel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Oddly, I do not really like to use missiles - I dislike seeing them swept from the sky by PD.

I prefer something with fewer counters and better longlevity, so what I do like is mixed weapons on my ships:
For high accuracy: Pulse Phasers, Emmitters or lasers (preferred in that order)
For upgradable `punch`: Direct Fire. As I upgrade missile tech I can practically see the near-indestructible-but-too-slow-to-dodge hivers ships disolving :insane:

I find I can effectively use ships 3 or even 4 models old for defence when build like this, and unless ships field both armor and reflective upgrades something works well.

I find leap-mines very effective (against AI) too - better than the later mine techs even.

If enemy does not have deflectors I find photon torpedo destroyers with AI command or improved accuracy just eats Dreads (and even some cruisers). Most dreads just can`t hit em while my wolfpack dance around in stand-off range. :twisted: !rawr

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:06 pm

First time I use Kelvinic Torpedo. Wiki say each Kelvinic Torpedo hit make target take 5% more damage.
Question:
1) do 2 KT hit make target take 10% damage? Do N KT hit make target take N * 5% damage?
2) do this effect expire or last until target is destroyed?

Return to “The Weapons”