Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:34 pm

Missile volleys are always useful in the right place and time...there are just conditions when they aren't even early on. But there is not set of defences that make them obsolete per se... A PD cruiser with PD phasers...VERY good at shooting down a crapload of missiles...firing TWO crap loads of missiles at it at the same time...still a problem for the cruiser :wink:

Deianeira

Post by Deianeira » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:25 am

Ok cool. I like the missile boats in the demo. good to know I can still use them in the full game, even with bigger ships. 2 missile cruisers in the back can help a lot as artillery :-) Now just watch that friendly fire :oops:
What you do in life... echoes in eternity

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Hiver missile destroyer tip....Line Abreast is NOT your friend :wink:

PiousFlea

Post by PiousFlea » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:43 pm

Do you ever get a type of missile that can take more than one hit, like in the MOO series?
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law

Breniir

Post by Breniir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:57 am

I remember hearing about techs to make missiles faster, but I have no idea about armoring them. Maybe that could be an expansion tech line - armored missiles for taking out wild weasel destroyers. Or better yet, hypervelocity missiles that are basically a guided massdriver round! Just to balance them out you'd need to make them like the planetary missiles: one shot at the enemy, and if they miss, they keep going.
[...]

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:05 am

How would an armored missle help againest Wild Weasel ship? They spoof the missles off their course, no damage done. They might do well againest PD ships though. The "dumb" high speed missles or maybe hardened electronics missles that are more difficult to throw off their course would be good anti-WW missles
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

Breniir

Post by Breniir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:45 am

I was thinking in terms of surviving the PD barrage and still being intact to hit the target. If WW destroyers do something to draw the missiles towards itself (as the wiki hints at) then my argument is moot, but armored (or faster) missiles would be more survivable vs a regular PD destroyer. I've only played the demo so I'd love to get the real scoop on it.
[...]

Omega_Paladin

Post by Omega_Paladin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:48 am

*shrugs* What I got from the wiki is that the Wild Weasel will throw the missle off it's course so it won't hit anyone. I could be wrong though, guess we will see in the full game.
"I must use your vulgar modern vernacular to properly compound insult upon indignity and state: this blows."

President of Calenders of the Kerberos Team's Beards Fan Club

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:52 pm

As I've heard it said, the Wild Weasel pulls missiles towards it. Unless you're ok with your Wild Weasels getting toasted, you might want to put some PD ships close by. :wink:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Elethiomel
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Elethiomel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:00 pm

The Wiki says that? Then it's wrong. This was discussed (at length) in an earlier thread, and what the Wild Weasel does is attract all seeking ordnance *to itself*.

"I'm doing well here at the battle front, mom, but missiles keep coming after me. Please send more PD."
A good signature is a concise and original summary of personality. This is not a good signature.

Breniir

Post by Breniir » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:06 pm

Interesting. I just hope the crew made sure to pay their life insurance premiums.
[...]

Wyvern

Post by Wyvern » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:08 pm

Has anyone considered the implications of the recoil of the Wild Weasel ECM?

*tee hee*
Last edited by Wyvern on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
Fhtagn?
Wyvern

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:10 pm

Elethiomel wrote:"I'm doing well here at the battle front, mom, but missiles keep coming after me. Please send more PD."

:bangdesk:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Draven

Post by Draven » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:12 pm

Who signs up for a WW crew? Ok guys see that large salvo of high yeild warheads speeding towards the fleet? We want you to make all of those hit you. Any questions?

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:30 pm

On the other hand, it all becomes one big inside joke that all the crew can laugh at. Assuming they've survived a few missions, anyway.

"Hey, I know it wasn't that smart to pick a fight with that huge Tarka, but I work on a Wild Weasel crew, so my perspective's shorted anyway." :lol:
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “The Weapons”