Guided Ordinance (missiles and torpedos)

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:32 pm

WW crew motto:

"At least it's not a CnC ship"
--------------------
Fhtagn?
Wyvern

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:22 pm

Maybe it isn't too suicidal if you can make every corner of a wild weasel bristle with PD lasers/gauss/pulse-phasers. Of course, since Mec & Co. are developing the game, wild weasel sections make the ship totally unarmed? :)

hargert

Post by hargert » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:35 pm

The big advantage is it pulls the missles off of the first ships and gives the PD a chance to enage them.

Major Diarrhia

Post by Major Diarrhia » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:52 pm

Real Wild Weasle jets are able to dodge incoming missiles, but since the ships can't dodge missiles, it should be made up for with PD. I bet the WW are unarmed but they should have a number of weapons in between the Extended Range and PD hulls, that would give them enough PD to effectively defend them selves but not other ships, where as the PD hull can do both.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:57 pm

slightly less guns than the pd section but much more manouverable.

silverchickensofdoom

Post by silverchickensofdoom » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:20 pm

Question pertaining to the use of missles: When I'm playing through the demo, I can never seem to make use of missles; even when my foe lacks PD, I cant seem to destroy anything with upgraded missles. I blame this partly on mass, I can never afford to carry more than a few missle boats into battle. How many ships does it take to make missles a viable weapon?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:32 pm

Really? Even fusion class missiles are not chewing up your enemy a bit?

Kaorti

Post by Kaorti » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 pm

you need to focus fire, I'd say about 3 missiles on one target will chew him up pretty good if they hit. remember that missiles are extremely long range, dance your ships to keep the enemy from getting close and you'll be able to do some pretty huge damage.
Erinys gave me an E-Cookie! Yay!
For those arranging games: I'm on GMT -5

silverchickensofdoom

Post by silverchickensofdoom » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:46 pm

The Fusions do decent damage, but it takes too many missles to do any damage to make them worth while. Also, when fighting against the tarka, it seems like they always outnumber me. :shock: Even when I have a cnc ship. I think if I had access to cruisers the missles would be worth while, because I could bring sufficient weight of them. With just destroyers though, I cant bring enough missle boats and still have enough cp to provide them with a screen. The only time when I really notice the effect of missles is when they siege my planets and my planet based and satellite missles can help out. THEN they have an effect. :twisted: But when I go on the offensive I just leave the missle boats behind because I do much better with just lasers and fire controlled ballistics supported by PD. Am I doing something wrong then that they are not effective?

In short, if I had my way, I'd increase the amount of CP each CnC ship gives.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:01 am

lol wait till you get the full game and CnC cruisers :wink: or CnC dreads for that matter

Breniir

Post by Breniir » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:16 am

I find that in the demo, missiles seem to get better vs the tarka once they get fusion. The AI will generally mount a missile launcher or a plasma cannon in the rear medium turret, leaving the entire rear hemisphere devoid of PD. Coupled with the single light turret on an armor section, and missiles can be deadly. Up forward they have a better chance, if they decide on pd or good lasers. Also, the AI seems reluctant to field PD ships.
[...]

Major Diarrhia

Post by Major Diarrhia » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:25 pm

In one of my games, all of the Tarka ships have about two PD bow guns. It's because all of my Monitors (cheap, non-focus, armors), use missiles instead of emiters and I've been using them for a long time now. So even though the fusion missiles do 160 damage and have great range, to the emiter's 140, the emiter is better because it actualy hits almost all the time, and of course hits multiple targets. If I couldn't use emiters, I would just use plasma cannon, at optimal range it does the same damage as the fusion missile and can't be shot down.

silverchickensofdoom

Post by silverchickensofdoom » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:48 pm

Ok, heres a question about torps; every thing I read seems to indicate that they're easy for the DE's to dodge, but my DE's cant seem to NOT be hit by the torps the tarka are lobbing at me. They are using the big green blob torp that looks like it has 3 tips. It tracks slightly. So whats the skinny on the torps in the demo?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:51 pm

guided torps are very hard for any one to "dodge" because even should they miss, they will just come around for another try. On the other hand they are vulnerable to concentrated fire. When those big green balls are coming in try targeting them.

Wyvern

Post by Wyvern » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Photonic torpedoes (3 orange balls) don't track and therefore don't hit destroyers very often. They cannot be intercepted.

The big green plasma torpedoes do track and rarely miss, but can be shot down.
--------------------
Fhtagn?
Wyvern

Return to “The Weapons”