Beams (including Phasers) & Heavy Beams

Galactic diplomacy with extreme prejudice.
Torezu

Re: Beams (including Phasers) & Heavy Beams

Post by Torezu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Heavy Beam damage is always per second. So, if the wiki is correct on the damage number, it's 1.25M pop damage.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Torezu wrote:Heavy Beam damage is always per second. So, if the wiki is correct on the damage number, it's 1.25M pop damage.

Thank you. If this is true then weapon with less than 1 second fire does less Population damage than wiki say.

Must test this.

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 am

I don't think any of the heavy beams fires for less than a second. We're talking about heavy beams here, remember - HCLs, Lancers and Cutting Beams, not the turreted beams (particle, neutron, positron etc). According to the wiki, all the heavy beams fire for 2.5 seconds.
Life is like a box of chocolates: the map is always wrong, the good ones are always taken and if you see something that looks nice, nine times out of ten there's something vile lurking at its core.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:58 am

Dafmeister wrote:I don't think any of the heavy beams fires for less than a second. We're talking about heavy beams here, remember - HCLs, Lancers and Cutting Beams, not the turreted beams (particle, neutron, positron etc). According to the wiki, all the heavy beams fire for 2.5 seconds.

You could always mod it to have less than a second of firing time.
However I don't think that's necessary to test the hypothesis.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm not a modding person, I don't gots da skillz.

If you were to do so, would you increase the DPS to compensate for the reduced firing time, or reduced the recharge time? I quite like the idea of doing all the damage in a shorter pulse; you wouldn't have to worry about your beams wandering off-target, but on the other hand if you missed with the initial shot you wouldn't have time to turn the ship and bring the beams on target either, so it would even out.
Life is like a box of chocolates: the map is always wrong, the good ones are always taken and if you see something that looks nice, nine times out of ten there's something vile lurking at its core.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Dafmeister wrote:I don't think any of the heavy beams fires for less than a second. We're talking about heavy beams here, remember - HCLs, Lancers and Cutting Beams, not the turreted beams (particle, neutron, positron etc). According to the wiki, all the heavy beams fire for 2.5 seconds.

This is true, but a heavy beam can be interrupted, change targets in mid-fire, or the ship can rotate out of firing arcs (common near planets when you change a ship's target from planet to something else just before it fires heavy beams). So, it would be worth looking into as to what damage they do when they hit a target for under a second.

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:35 am

I suppose it would be dependent on how often damage is applied - every second, every 0.5 seconds, every 0.1 seconds etc. Given how quickly I've seen destroyers pop when they wander across a Blazer dreadnaught's line of fire, I suspect that damage is applied at very short intervals, so you if your beam is hitting the target for 0.3 seconds you could just multiply the DPS by 0.3 and get a decent approximation.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:51 am

It's applied per frame, I believe.

fredNN

Post by fredNN » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:35 am

Dafmeister wrote:I don't think any of the heavy beams fires for less than a second

Green and Ultraviolet Beamer and all Emitter fire for for 0.75 second. Wiki say Heavy Emitter does 2M Population damage. Or is 1.5M correct?
Still no time to test.
I am sory to post here, but I did not find Energy weapon section.

Dafmeister

Post by Dafmeister » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 am

Population damage, unlike regular damage, isn't shown as an amount per second, so I'd assume it meant 2,000,000 casualties per Heavy Emitter shot, whereas a ship would take 275*0.75 = 206.25 damage.

That assumption would leave open the question of how much population damage would be inflicted if a heavy beam was moved off-target for part of its firing cycle. Anyone know?

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:36 am

On the wiki for Pulsed Graviton beam and Graviton Beam:

http://sots.rorschach.net/Pulsed_Graviton_Beam
http://sots.rorschach.net/Graviton_Beam

The damage for Graviton Beam is 350/s while Pulsed (which is further research) is 250/s and both have the same duration (4s). Apart from the increased tractor effect, does the Pulsed one do less damage, or am I missing something about it? (or there's a typo on the wiki?)

MS_Cowboy

Post by MS_Cowboy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:14 am

Pulsed graviton beam also does high damage to all the turrets on a ship. It doesn't do as much as the regular beam, but you should notice quite a lot of guns blowing off. A great way to defang your enemy!
Blinded by X-ray Lasers

ivra

Post by ivra » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:58 pm

MS_Cowboy wrote:Pulsed graviton beam also does high damage to all the turrets on a ship. It doesn't do as much as the regular beam, but you should notice quite a lot of guns blowing off. A great way to defang your enemy!

Also: If you fire at a colony with it you the planet rotates quicker 8)
A lot of these road signs go missing every year as the tourists collect their trophies. It makes me wonder if this road sign is indeed the most wanted souvenir of Norway...

Return to “The Weapons”